Good movie/documentary about the American Civil war?

My favourite era in history is set between the 18th and the early 20th century.
I have always looked at the european side of history mainly, but recently I kinda “fell in love” with american history, especially with the “atmosphere” of the civil war.

And since I know most of the users on the boards are from the USA, I’m pretty sure you guys know some really good movies/docus about the civil war. Please help me find some, thank you :blush:

4 Likes

Movies:
Gettysburg (1993): based on the novel “The Killer Angels” by Michael Shaara, it’s four hours long and covers the Battle of Gettysburg in great detail.
Glory (1989): about a unit in the Union army made up of all black soldiers.
The Red Badge of Courage (1951): Based on the classic novel by Stephen Crane, the movie is a classic in its own right.
Gone With the Wind (1939): Adjusting for inflation, this is still the highest-grossing film ever released in the US. It focuses less on the military side of things, and more on how the Civil War changed everyday life in the South.

Docs:
The Civil War by Ken Burns is pretty well-regarded, and is a good intro.

2 Likes

I was just about to suggest this one :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@John_Crichton Darnit, you stole what I was gonna say! :rage: :laughing:

But yeah, all joking aside, I would recommend that documentary, as long as you are willing to spend some time on it, because there are quite a few volumes in the series.

2 Likes

There are two Civil War documentaries on Netflix, both with four stars. Maybe you should check one of them out.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched too many documentaries and movies about it (I need to get on that…), but from what I’ve heard, God’s and Generals is definitely a good watch.

2 Likes

Captain America: Civil Wa-
No?
Okay.

@John_Crichton suggested some of the best ones. :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone :smile:

1 Like