Greek Bara Magna

If done right I feel like this version could be better.
There could have been many interesting builds, a Medusa style villain would have been cool. Or something like cerberus.
Storywise there could have been some pretty nice storylines drawn from the ideas of some stories in the mythos and many different settings could have been drawn from there too. Maybe the armour styles could have been inspired from the greeks as well.
And looking at some parts of their history, the Great Beings would make more sense too.

3 Likes

Looking back, I hated the 2009 story at the time for diverging so wildly from familiar characters and ideas. It’s only more recently that I’ve warmed up to it. So I can’t say that I would have likely enjoyed either one better back then.

I guess I’m glad Bionicle didn’t go too Greek - I already found all of the Latin words that started showing up to be distracting (I already knew some Latin by then - thanks, Catholic school). Still, maybe something more mythological than the grungy Mad Max-lite setting we got could have tapped into Bionicle’s core themes of mystery and the age of legends a bit better. I dunno

1 Like

I would have greatly preferred this over dumb desert gladiator battles. Bionicle centaur? Heck yeah.

1 Like

I think the reason I prefer this aesthetic is because it feels more culturally inspired which is something I like in Bionicle, albeit without the appropriation. It’s also easier to sell as a premise because “Greek robots” is easier to explain.

Works with the premise of Mata Nui too.

I mean this screams Greek Philosopher vibes

3 Likes

I’m kinda in love with the blue character in the first painting.

The helmet is very reminiscent of Kiina and Barix’s final helmet, but I really like the stockier proportions, the flail, and the spiky armor.

I also just really love how colorful they all are.

5 Likes

rushing to the OOC topic

New Bionicle project time let’s go

3 Likes

That centaur design if fantastic, I most try to build it!

For the centaur dude, I think the thighs could be represented with av matoran limbs, and the hooves could be mata feet

same

he has the “wonkiness” that I love to see in bionicle characters

2 Likes

Shape-wise, I think Part 87844 would be a better choice:

Or maybe Part 44847:

Of course, the problem with those parts is that neither is available in green (or very many colours in general), and the latter doesn’t really have any ankle-like connection points.

Also, maybe the centaur’s horns could be Part 57528:

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was thinking

I think the Ben ten foot could work well for the blue guy

1 Like

Same here, I get the vibe that they’re a hybrid between skrall and iron tribe. Not sure if it’s possible in canon but it should be.

That looks so cool. i would literally commit various crimes to see mocs of these characters.

2 Likes

All I can say is I’m glad I have more inspiration to draw from for the theoretical Bionicle 2010 project I’m working on.

Also, I remember I was in a sort of Greek mythology phase around that time. The Bara Magna arc had already really revitalized my interest in Bionicle and I can imagine I’d be head over heels if Bionicle went in this direction.

2 Likes

I think there’s so much potential in the Mythic setting. The age of legends is over, the gods are all dead. There’s remnants of the old world all around, both ruined structures and the beasts that killed the gods. All the inhabitants can do now is last in the spaces between.

5 Likes

I’ve been saying, if 2009 was a soft-core reboot then let it go hard-core

The Great Robots were Titans/Giants and their bodies helped form the new world. Their blood spills out and creates the new creatures and beings (Matoran/Toa). Has Greek Titans/Gods and even Norse Frost Giant vibes hardcore

2 Likes

Dang Roth, you work fast!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5317899

6 Likes

It’s not quite 1:1. The angle of the horn and the mouth are visibly different on the art, but yes, Rothanak is speed.

1 Like