Helryx (Canon Contest #1: The First)

Uh, where is the first such post then?

What?

“It just doesn’t look like Helryx!” claims local main regarding the canon appearance of a character which previously had no visual representation hence the entire point of the contest.

4 Likes

How is it spam if it was just a single message? At least that’s what is usually called spam for me.

Stupid, Pointless, Annoying, Message.

Conversation over.

4 Likes

Can we get a bricklink parts list, or a Stud.io file? Though not all parts used are in the official Stud.io library, I think all the parts used are at least in the Stud.io PartDesigner library and could just be imported.

@Surel-nuva To be fair, aside from all the other points you made, it really shouldn’t have been very complex. It should be something that could believably be a set. This is just the right amount of complexity for a build this size that is supposed to look ancient and frail imho.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

2 Likes

@Tech_M mine was/is a more stable modified Metru build. It doesn’t come apart by itself, it looks different than any other Toa, Takanuva met, and doesn"t have useless tubes all around.
And as I mentioned, we have a freaking quote from Greg which explains that he meant “frail” as “she has gone through a lot”. It was never meant to be like that thin.

2 Likes

Here’s a part list. Please tell me if I missed anything, I’ll update it if anything’s found

EDIT: I forgot the roborider heads, they’re there now. If I forgot something else tell me and I’ll make sure to update it again
EDIT2: Axle lengths fixed

9 Likes

Can’t forget the blue robo rider heads. Otherwise, I think you’re good.

@Surel-nuva I wasn’t commenting on that. I was just commenting on the level of complexity. But, I will say. Please explain how that quote means that “as never meant to be like that thin.” That quote just explains why her appearance is what it is, it doesn’t detail anything at all about the level of frailty at all. Ascribe means attribute to something, that quote literally means, she is frail because she has been through a lot. We can extrapolate that this frailty is a result of lots of wear, as in her parts have been worn down over time to be thin giving her frail appearance. The level of this frailty, however, is still up to interpretation but that quote absolutely does not explain it. I was not challenging your entire comment, I simply was saying that I disagreed with the part where you criticized the for build being too simple.

I do agree with several of the points you made, the leg articulation is ridiculously little and it could easily and very obviously have been fixed, though I do really like the legs appearance. The use of the pneumatic T-piece on the arms seems way too weak of a part for that use, and just in general I think the arms need a redo. I dislike the tube on the hip and on the right arm, but the other three don’t bother me.

Also please stop making this about your build, which by the way, Greg stated on two different occasions that he imagined Helryx to have a build that would be somewhat similar to the Toa Mata.

@ToaFautann Thank you. Could you please also send a link to it?

4 Likes

Dang it, I even told myself I wouldn’t forget those. I’ll update it in a sec

@Tech_M Is that possible? I’d sure like to know how to if so

1 Like

While this is a good idea, in practice it falls short, which is likely the cause for the frustration. Not only will “stress testing” stress your model, that I wouldn’t personally condone, it is also misleading to assume that every part of Helryx’s model can go through similar abuse as any other piece. Every piece is different, even if they are from the same mold. You can practically guarantee that these same pieces from others’ collections do not hold together to the same degree. It would seem that these pieces you used for your Helryx are particularly susceptible to wear, causing this large backlash from a good number of the Bionicle community. And while I do agree with @TrolleyHoarse and @Tributron about the weirdness and un-prepared thought that went into this model, I say congrats on winning this competition, but please don’t make assumptions about the sturdiness and acknowledge that there are others that are incapable of reproducing this entry without modification. We all just want to be able to share a Helryx model in construction, this one just so happens to be fairly weak on average.

2 Likes

He said Helryx was an earlier prototype which can be very different than a Toa Mata, and we have that quote too. :wink:

And I have found the quote too.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t really describe my feelings toward @TheUnderscoredDouble’s winning entry as being salty, I apologize if it seems that way to you. My purpose for creating my last reply was to provide insight as to why so many people complain about the construction of Helryx, not to make a complaint myself.

In fact, I quite like the unique use of parts to make this model. Even if it is on the more fragile side in general, my only true complaints are aesthetic in nature. Without excess tubing on her right arm and leg, and by elongating her neck/overall stature, as seen with @Kodiak’s modifications (pictured below), I greatly enjoy Helryx’s design.
CPHelryx

5 Likes

Ayyy glad to see my mod on here @Kanohi_Cantri. I don’t think the tubes are a big deal and I like to imagine them providing Helryx with anesthetic gas in order to nullify her frailness, similar to how Bane’s mask reduced his pain until it was damaged. I’ve since switched to green eyes but I’m happy with the winning moc and my mods, despite how trivial they are. Here’s Helryx next to the Miserix remaster.

7 Likes

Neat Miserix build, I could see this as his humanoid form that he takes when not in his dragon form. Very menacing.

I thought you could just send a link to it but it seems that is not the case…

@ToaFautann If you hit ‘Download’ a the top there you can get a file of the parts list, the button to the right can be used to upload it. Though unfortunately, it seems it either has to be shared via that file, which it seems you can’t put into a comment here, or you would have to paste the list from the file which would probably be considered to spammy. So I guess if you have some external way to share the file that could work?

@Surel-nuva

Touché

2 Likes

Let’s see if this works.

Re-Edit:

1 Like

Go to the top bar under the Bricklink logo and click “upload.” Once you’re there, you’ll see a tab for XML files. Then just copy and paste the contents of the file into the text box.

1 Like

Can anyone confirm the axle lengths on her mace? I put in my best approximation but I feel it might be too short, so if anyone can confirm their lengths I’d appreciate it.

2 Likes