Helryx (Canon Contest #1: The First)

While this is a good idea, in practice it falls short, which is likely the cause for the frustration. Not only will “stress testing” stress your model, that I wouldn’t personally condone, it is also misleading to assume that every part of Helryx’s model can go through similar abuse as any other piece. Every piece is different, even if they are from the same mold. You can practically guarantee that these same pieces from others’ collections do not hold together to the same degree. It would seem that these pieces you used for your Helryx are particularly susceptible to wear, causing this large backlash from a good number of the Bionicle community. And while I do agree with @TrolleyHoarse and @Tributron about the weirdness and un-prepared thought that went into this model, I say congrats on winning this competition, but please don’t make assumptions about the sturdiness and acknowledge that there are others that are incapable of reproducing this entry without modification. We all just want to be able to share a Helryx model in construction, this one just so happens to be fairly weak on average.

2 Likes

He said Helryx was an earlier prototype which can be very different than a Toa Mata, and we have that quote too. :wink:

And I have found the quote too.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t really describe my feelings toward @TheUnderscoredDouble’s winning entry as being salty, I apologize if it seems that way to you. My purpose for creating my last reply was to provide insight as to why so many people complain about the construction of Helryx, not to make a complaint myself.

In fact, I quite like the unique use of parts to make this model. Even if it is on the more fragile side in general, my only true complaints are aesthetic in nature. Without excess tubing on her right arm and leg, and by elongating her neck/overall stature, as seen with @Kodiak’s modifications (pictured below), I greatly enjoy Helryx’s design.
CPHelryx

5 Likes

Ayyy glad to see my mod on here @Kanohi_Cantri. I don’t think the tubes are a big deal and I like to imagine them providing Helryx with anesthetic gas in order to nullify her frailness, similar to how Bane’s mask reduced his pain until it was damaged. I’ve since switched to green eyes but I’m happy with the winning moc and my mods, despite how trivial they are. Here’s Helryx next to the Miserix remaster.

7 Likes

Neat Miserix build, I could see this as his humanoid form that he takes when not in his dragon form. Very menacing.

I thought you could just send a link to it but it seems that is not the case…

@ToaFautann If you hit ‘Download’ a the top there you can get a file of the parts list, the button to the right can be used to upload it. Though unfortunately, it seems it either has to be shared via that file, which it seems you can’t put into a comment here, or you would have to paste the list from the file which would probably be considered to spammy. So I guess if you have some external way to share the file that could work?

@Surel-nuva

Touché

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

2 Likes

Let’s see if this works.

Re-Edit:

1 Like

Go to the top bar under the Bricklink logo and click “upload.” Once you’re there, you’ll see a tab for XML files. Then just copy and paste the contents of the file into the text box.

1 Like

Can anyone confirm the axle lengths on her mace? I put in my best approximation but I feel it might be too short, so if anyone can confirm their lengths I’d appreciate it.

2 Likes

I’m 99% sure it’s a #6 for the top and #8 for the bottom.

1 Like

@CalamitousT Interesting, I decided to use an 8 and a 10 and that looks approximately correct to me. Of course, I could be wrong, but it looks just like the pictures proportion-wise, so I don’t know.

1 Like

I’m less confident about the lower half, but I’m pretty sure the ‘exposed’ part of the upper handle is 4L, plus 1 on on either end… maybe it’s an old 7L before they went grey, just to mess with us!

1 Like

Great, now I need her in my collection

2 Likes

@ToaFautann @CalamitousT @vaderman212 It is very easy to tell the exact length by using pieces which length is known. Look at this picture:

So length of top one is 6 and the bottom one is 10. If you will use the other picture where mace is fully visible frontaly the result is almost the same - the top one has length of 6 and bottom one around 9.5, but since axle 9 doesn’t exist in Black, then it is just caused by perspective.

5 Likes

Aha! Brilliant, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks so much for measuring that! I’ve updated my parts list and the downloadable list with the new lengths.

@ToaFautann I made my own parts list and compared it with yours. I see some mistakes in your list. Here is mine which I believe is 100% correct:

https://i.imgur.com/aePkbNh.png

Bricklink XML file:

3 Likes

Hats off to you! This is honestly what I was hoping for since I made the original list, I really wanted someone who had built the model to confirm or deny what I had said, and you certainly improved greatly on my list. Cheers!

1 Like

Regardless of how the MOC ended up winning, I think it is certainly a worthy model. She looks frail but battle-ready. You struck the balance between Mata-like and unfamiliar armor quite well, in my opinion. The color scheme is basic, but very solid, and the color-blocking is fantastic.

Though I haven’t built the MOC myself, judging by my own experience with the pneumatic T parts, and considering other people’s experiences, I suspect the arms are a bit too fragile. But aside from that, this MOC feels like it could have been an actual set. I guess if you want to get a better toy out of this MOC, you just have to figure out a way to replicate the upper arm look with different parts.

The mace and shield are simple, but they get the job done. And I’m glad that the mace in particular actually looks like a mace. A lot of MOCs in the contest have “maces” that are really just pointy staffs.

I know other people have called this a “blue Onua”, and while I wouldn’t go that far (I think part of the issue is just the placeholder Pakari), I do think the hunchback look should be toned down a little. That’s my only complaint with this MOC. And as it turns out, Mister N’s winning artwork already fixes that for me.

I wasn’t a part of these boards during the contest, so I never got to vote. But if I had been a member, I would have wanted Yellowryx to win over this MOC. But that said, this MOC is definitely in my top 10. It gets a lot of things right that so many others miss the mark on. As I said before, this model is worthy of the title “Helryx”, and I’m certainly satisfied with it being the winner.

1 Like

Myabe in 2001, yeah. But by the time Helryx was introduced in the story, most Toa-sized sets had working knees.

1 Like