Homeschooling

Math-I-Saw is great. I’m seeing a lot of their Calculus book now :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t get school at home, I bring my home to the school.
That explains why I sleep in my locker.

8 Likes

I have been seriously considering homeschooling for about a year now, probably going through an online curriculum. Aside from seeing your friends far less often, what are the downsides to it?

1 Like

It really depends on the person. Like, for me, losing the social aspect hasn’t affected my learning that much. If anything it’s made it better.

1 Like

Honestly, getting motivated to do things I didn’t like was one of my main problems when homeschooling. Case in point: Writing.

I’ve been homeschooled my entire life, and about to graduate from 12th Grade this spring. I did above average in most of my subjects; math, vocabulary, critical reading, etc. However when it came to writing essays, I hit a roadblock. Whenever my mother tried to get me to write something, I would sit down and stare at my computer screen. For whatever reason, I just could not write. It wasn’t until I took ENG 101 that I started to get over my anxiety (though it still exists to a certain extent)

If I had been in a Public or Private school where writing essays is vital, I feel that this problem wouldn’t have happened, or at least not to the extent that it did. So be aware that self-motivation is a key part of homeschooling. However, where you’re coming from a normal school background, this probably won’t affect you as much.

10 Likes

HA HA HA HA HA AHAHHA AHA ah ah ahah ha. ha. “Normal.”

But seriously, self-motivation is only a problem when I don’t feel challenged and/or interested in what I’m doing. So unless that’s going to be an issue…

3 Likes

I too have been homeschooled nearly my entire education. I still achieve a social life through other outings and my stress over getting stuff done has decreased. I feel like being homeschooled allows me to focus on the actual school work and not the ridiculous high school / middle school drama.

Self motivation is a big part of it, yes, but it’s not that difficult to get into the swing of things.

2 Likes

You need to be the kind of person who wants to learn stuff on their own. If you need to get your parents to encourage you to do things, they’ll get frustrated and so will you. Also, I got a lot of help from plugging into a homeschool community. We had co-ops where different mothers taught us different things the farther we went into high school. If you’re doing it online, you might not have that help.

8 Likes

I’ve been homeschooled my whole life. and even though I switched curriculums many times, I’ve still loved getting done with my schoolwork before most other people. Also, all my closest friends are homeschooled as well.

2 Likes

@BioRaiders532, do it now. You won’t regret it. The downsides are getting to do your school on your bed, sleeping in, and having a more free schedule.

wait a minute

OKAY THE ACTUAL DOWNSIDES

While it may seem like you don’t get to see your friends as often, if you’re involved in other social activities with them, it’s no biggie. Plus, it makes seeing them that much better. You’re also the only person to blame when something goes wrong.

5 Likes

Yeah, I would right now, but I have some friends in their Junior and Senior years that I want to stay with. And they all live like, 30 minutes away.

I’d like to switch to homeschooling but my parents pay too much for my education to consider it worthwhile for me to drop out of the school I’m in now

1 Like

That’s sad. It’s much better, especially for someone with the personality you seem to have.

2 Likes

No, I think I’m better suited to public schooling, because in that sort of environment I’m guaranteed to not be the worst person around, which would be the case otherwise

4 Likes

I’ve been homeschooled since first grade. Now I’m in 11th. While I don’t have friends that I can just call and say “lets hang out”, that’s just because that type of spontaneity doesn’t work with my personality. I still have a very active social life, mostly revolved around my friends at scouts and church, but still.

I have yet to find a way to fully avoid that.

I’m that kind of person. the thing is, the things I want to learn just aren’t really taught in any curriculum. I learn best through either figuring things out for my self with some objective in mind, or random facts. Nothing really teaches me that way. (don’t worry, I still do well in school, I just don’t have much motivation for it)

I am the same way with writing

I remember when I could do that.

Yeah. 99% of my friends are homeschooled or were for a long time.

1. working on my bed screws up my back (unfortunately I have little option of where to work)
  2. I wake up at 6:30.
  3. ok, yeah, that one works
1 Like

@Kahi
Saxon math is the worst thing to ever happen to me.

Iv’e been home schooled my entire life and have enjoyed the peace and quiet. If I went to public school I probably wouldn’t have met the friend that got me into bionicle.

Double post - Fixed by Scarilian

2 Likes

I was homeschooled after my 1st semester of 2nd grade. It wasn’t because I wanted to, or needed to. It was because my brothers were causing trouble in the school and my mom decided to pull them out, dragging me with them. While I was “considered” homeschooled, we actually did not have any curriculum to go by. I was uneducated for the next 7 years with the knowledge of a 2nd grader. It wasn’t until I reached my teen years when I was willing to fight with my mom to convince her that I wanted to go to back public school. I was going to enter high school with the little education I had, and I was scared that I wouldn’t even qualify to make it in that year. I barely past the tests, and I was put back in a public school.

I was happy for a little while, but the work load was extremely heavy when comparing it to not doing anything for almost a decade. I was sinking into my own doubt, until I found an amazing friend. This person picked me back up and gave my a reason to work my hardest! By this time I was in the 11th grade and reached the honor role! The summer after I was forced to move from Michigan to Alabama for my senior year. Not only that, I was forced to attend virtual school, not public school. Right now the only thing keeping my going is the awesome Youtube channels, and the social life on these message boards (I personally hate Facebook) It is the last semester of my senior year, and when I graduate I’m going back home. Where I will be attending college with this awesome friend We have similar career interests

Geez, didn’t think I would write this much :sweat_smile: sorry! Guess I’m passionate about my own life, but who isn’t?

8 Likes

Bro

That’s an amazing story

I would write more but I’m on mobile

Amazing

4 Likes

I was cyberschooled 2nd through 5th, then I returned with thunderous applause.
(Not really, but as it turned out, people actually remembered me, shockingly enough)

I’ve been homeschooled all my life, things have been a bit different lately though, last year I did online classes and I really didn’t like them. This year I’m still homeschooled but I go half the time now to the nearby high school. Overall, I’m quite glad I was homeschooled. And yeah the thing about the lack of socializing is BS.