How Do You Sort Your Parts?

I want to fix up the way I sort out my pieces, but it’s done like so:

• System:
  • Every color that I have a lot of is placed into a bin.
  • your more monochromatic colors (i.e. Your Blacks, Grays, and Whites) are separated into three for each color (one for your more rounded or curved pieces, another for plates and basic bricks, and an additional bin for more specialized pieces).
  • Anything that can’t fit into at least half of one bin is thrown into a gallon Ziploc bag, where it’ll stay until it has enough pieces for it to be in a bin (the only exception is for white, with each of its three bins only holding a quarter each. The only reason it isn’t in a baggy is for it’s frequent use in Moccing.)
  • Constraction
  • Unlike system, constraction is sorted out by type:
    -Arms
    -Hands
    -Feet
    -Body Pieces
    -G1 Limbs
    -G1 Armor (or pieces similar in use)
    -CCBS Limbs
    -CCBS Torsos
    -CCBS Clip-ons
    -Heads, Masks, and Eye-Stalks

• Weapons (and similar pieces) are in a larger bin.

• Technic
  • Again, like constraction, Technic is sorted by type:
    -Pins and Axles (Or pieces of a similar style)
    -Beams
    -Gears
    -Specialized Pieces
  • Unlike the previous two, technic pieces are exclusively in gallon Ziplocs.
  • Other
  • Any piece that is frequently used, such as anything that can be used in conjunction with Mixel joints, are placed into two trays that sit comfortably in my desk.
  • Most of my bar and clip pieces are in a 3-drawer Sterilite container.
  • baseplates and other such pieces are thrown into a giant bin, seperate from everything else.
  • Duplo pieces that I may use in the future (for structural support), are placed into a gallon Ziploc bag.

And that’s just about it.
I’m going to try to make this ever more refined in the future, with every piece getting sorted out by type (now bricks, plates, specialized, and rounded pieces) and color.

4 Likes

Wow. O_o.

I could never do that. I lack patience.

2 Likes

It isn’t that hard. Just take a few hours out of your day for a few weeks and you’ll been done in no time. :wink:

4 Likes

Plural: On his way to being the next Jangbricks.

4 Likes

I don’t.

Although, I am currently sorting them.

And now I can’t sort them.
Moving is fun.

1 Like

I currently have a drawer for unsorted parts, a drawer for G1 parts and a drawer for CCBS/G2 parts, then I have this large set of small drawers with parts sorted out buy stuff like hands, heads, eyes, claws, different sizes of CCBS bones, technic half liftarms, gears, different pins and axels, Bohrok eyes have their own drawer, a currently empty drawer for ball joints ;-; , and liftarms with balljoints on them.
And I need some larger ones for stuff like hands since they’re large and take up 2 drawers.

1 Like

I shove as many parts as I can into a bunch of small tubs. It’s a very organized , very effective system

2 Likes

ok, so pretty much nobody has them actually except play stippling and plural?

hmm, I am noticing a pattern here with these names…

Oh and btw here is all the stuff I have yet to organize!

2 Likes

I do? you mean a sorting system yeah?

1 Like

I have a lot of oldish system
One small drawer for minifigs
2 small drawers for little parts
3 constraction drawers in the middle
4 drawer of misc system
2 drawers of partially assembled things
In my room:
1 drawer of constaction
1 drawer of partially together stuff
2 drawers of misc system
1 massive box of misc
1 medim box of misc
1 small box of misc
and all the other stuff piled high on tables

1 Like

All I do is find all the technic and BIONICLE pieces I can and then just freaking throw em in one big,empty bin

1 Like

I don’t…

I have a few bags for a few certain types of pieces, but when I MOC I have a few blankets laid out with all of the parts I own (I also have a few bins for certain pieces…) So I just gather parts for whatever MOC I am building.

1 Like

I throw them all in a tub and hope I can find the pieces I need, which isn’t a good idea, but I don’t have enough space to separate them.

2 Likes

My parents once sorted my system parts YEARS ago after colour and I try to keep that up as well as I can. It isn’t easy, though, since most of the drawers are overflowing. So I have like three or four unsorted boxes of parts gathering dust.
I sort my sets however, since I don’t like their parts getting mixed up with everything else - that takes up like 30 boxes in boxes.
That’s system.

Bionicle I sort into four categories: Sets, MOCs and sets that I’m missing a few parts from, parts of sets that I don’t own but am trying to get together by buying the parts from Bricklink, and everything else - the parts that I use for MOCing.
No wait, there’s also a fifth category since Wednesday: Collectible '01 masks with matching Mata heads.

2 Likes

I use bins with those walls things I only need 6 and I put them in drawers so I can go and steal people’s desks usually my dad

1 Like

I keep them in a bucket. A big blue plastic bucket, that I keep on my bedroom floor. And rarely do they actually stay in the bucket. I don’t exactly have a lot of parts.

1 Like

If you don’t have that many pieces, sorting your pieces into ziploc bags might be the way to go.

Not only would it make it easier for you to get to your pieces, but it wouldn’t take that long to finish.

2 Likes

Meh. While I see the practicality in that, there’s something I like about digging through a pile of parts to find what I need.

3 Likes

I sort my pieces by colour. a bin for hues of red, a bin for hues of blue, a bin for hues of White and transparent, a bin for black and trans Brown, a bin for dark gray, a bin for light gray and silver, a bin for yellow and gold, a bin for hues of Brown and orange and a bin for hues of green, Purple and pink and a couple of bins that aren´t sorted by colours. a bin for bionicle g1 pieces in gray black and all metallic colours, one bin for the rest of g1 bionicle parts, one bin for ccbs, one bin labelled minifigures that´s more just random things (mostly minifig accessories and minifigures though there is a lot of other stuff in there too like car seats and jet Engines), one for parts with stickers and prints, one for technic axles, pins and gears, one for straight technic lift arms, one for the rest of the technic, one for large parts, one for baseplates and two canisters one filled with bionicle amunition and one with lightsaber rods and pneumatic tubes
and that´s my sorting system

2 Likes

Wait, trans brown is a color!

1 Like