How has Bionicle impacted your life?

Bionicle had a big role in my childhood.

4 Likes

Well, I had something that really interested me and I didn’t understand it until it was over. And I made a ton of MOCs with my sets

1 Like

Bionicle got me to start reading.

1 Like

I really never had friends come over till I got to 6th grade. My grandma bought me my first set being toa pohatu nuva which sparked my personality. I was 5 and I had built a bunch of sets. I personally thought it had made me smarter. My childhood was great. I sadly never completed my mask of light collection I had all the sets except tahu nuva and pohatu nuvas mask. It made my childhood great. And now that bionicle is coming back I had nostalgia. And even with all 4 different versions of tahu released(mata, nuva, mistika, and stars) I never was able to get one. Approximately a decade after I got my first set it comes back. Dang I feel old and I’m not even that old

4 Likes

I’ve made videos on the internet for four years because of it, so that’s a thing

6 Likes

I started collecting lego because of it oh and it was basically all the entertainment I needed

2 Likes

It was pretty much the only toys I had in my childhood. So much replay-ability, I didn’t need anything else. Except for books of course :3

2 Likes

I had barely any money when I was young, but I did have an excess of technic pieces that basically meant I didn’t need to buy any more toys.

1 Like

Well, it’s inspired me to waste a year of my life planning a stop-motion series which somehow will be able to fit in Bionicle canon.

3 Likes

revives topic

Well it brought me closer to the internet and Even brought me here. Also it allows me to express myself and some of my needs better then drawing and stuff

1 Like

It made me like robots, futuristic stuff, nature, magic, and got me into rpgs…sorta.

3 Likes

Actually, come to think of it, Bionicle didn’t do much for me except get me interested in the internet :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well thanks to Bionicle.com i learned how to use the internet.

3 Likes

It got me a giant wall of sets and rare collectibles.

1 Like

It impacted me in a myriad of ways, including but not limited to getting me into books, using forums on the internet, giving me things to spend probably too much money on. That’s just a handful of the ones I can remember…

3 Likes

I probably would not be into as much graphic design/video editing/content creation if it hadn’t been for Bionicle, for obvious reasons.

4 Likes

I actually got into it by seeing edictarts videos… how the might have fallen… though that was due to the whole biotube flamewar.

2 Likes

Let me tell you the Story of how I first discovered Bionicle, how it changed me and why I love it so much. So the year was either 2000, or 2001. Probably closer to 2001. I was enrolled in Elementary School, probably the First Grade. I was sitting at home after a day of shopping with my Mom after school, and she was kind enough to buy me the Naboo Starfighter Lego set. After I had built it, I of course looked through the small catalog that came alongside the instructions. On the very last page was something, different, something interesting. Although my 7-year-old self didn’t know it then, or can’t remember, it was my first exposure to Bionicle ever.

I forget whether or not all six Toa were pictured, or if their names were even present, but I do distinctly remember one thing: A strange figure, colored white, with a really weird face and standing in the snow. My legitimate reaction was: “Oh, looks like another one of those throwbot things, except it doesn’t look like he throws anything, or even has wheels. I don’t want to build that thing or play with it.” (Insert Price is Right Losing sound here.)

But then the next Issue of Lego Magazine came, and it was in a plastic case. “Well huh, that’s weird.” I thought as I asked my mom for the scissors to open it with. After carefully cutting the plastic, Something amazing happened. In addition to my usual Lego Magazine, there was something else: A small comic book. I opened it up and began to read. It was the story of Kopaka, who I slowly realized was the figure from the catalog. As I was reading, my mind was ridden with many thoughts, but I will try to present them in the order they first came:

“This. Thing. Has. Story. That makes this waaaaaay better that those old throwbots that I have lying disassembled with all my other Lego’s!”

“Holy cow this is the best thing I have ever read! I need to buy all of these, what are they called, Bionicles? Yes, I need to have all of them, the big ones, the small ones, and the medium ones!”

And so my collection/addiction began. The Bionicles helped me to find solace after the chaos and confusion that rocked the nation after 9/11, And also provided some comfort for me to turn to during the three years of hell that were public middle school. Never before had I been so passionate about a toy line.

I can’t think of any deep lessons or morals that Bionicle taught me, but I don’t think it needed to. It was simply a big part of my life that I am wholly grateful for.

7 Likes

On a Personal note: It helped me cope better with my parents divorce. That by itself makes Bionicle amazing.

4 Likes

Oh, where do I begin…

For starters, it’s what pretty much got me into Lego to begin with. Sure, Lego Star Wars was the first theme I ever got sets for (the '05 V-Wing and AT-RT, to be more specific), but it wasn’t until I decided to try out some of the Bionicle sets in 2006, Reidak being my first alongside the zamor sphere bonus pack, that my interest was truly heightened, pushing me to get both a subscription to the Lego magazine, read the comics on Bionicle.com (in fact it was probably the first big thing I ever used my computer for beyond some old point-and-click games). I was entranced by the sets of old from 2005 prior, and was all the more amazed by their respective comics, as well as the three retrospective animations for the first three years. I was also fascinated by the interactive online animations coming out for the Piraka, as they were unlike anything I had ever seen before. The first one even inspired to go buy Piruk and reenact that chase scene at the beginning over and over. I managed to get my younger brother into it, too, and we built whole Lego armies to fight each other whilst led by our Bionicle figures, as we competed to buy the most. As the years went on, Bionicle also got me into literature in general after reading all the Chronicles and Adventures books (and some of Legends), and the interest in Lego that it brought on ended up with my whole family going to Legoland in 2009 during the summer over a cross-country trip, and I must say…no moment since then has ever managed to top the experience of those three weeks. Then came the school year. Sixth grade was a pretty bad year for in general. Students were rude and obnoxious, usurping even the teachers at every which way, I got bullied for actually calling them out on their stupidity, the school got a gun-threat that ended up causing police officers to patrol the hallways for the rest of the year. Then things really fell apart when winter came along. Christmas was nice enough, and despite the saddening news of Bionicle’s ending, I enjoyed the final comic to find some closure (my big reconstruction project began at this point in time as well). Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away the following January, which left my dad too distraught to even want to continue living in Maryland, and we ended up moving south away from all our relatives. While getting used to our new home, the drastically improved school made things a little easier, but it didn’t stop me from feeling down given all that happened. So, I decided to open some of our boxes and dug out old Bionicle parts, and began to build…and build. And so my MOCing truly began.

5 Likes