How Were You Introduced To Bionicle?

The year was 2007, the place was Walmart, a young Kraata was with his mom when he saw it, he was holding a Hahli Mahri with his small child hands. He did not grasp the concept of LEGO sets yet but he was captivated by the epic illustration of this blue robot akin to the toys he saw at a McDonald’s display. Little did he know it would be the sole reason he lived and breathed almost 14 years later.

3 Likes

I actually found out about Bionicle through Hero Factory, my favourite theme at the time. As an avid Hero Factory fanatic, when I got Ackar my thought process was basically “hehe bonkle suck, hero better”. It was only when I got the Bohrok and saw their lunging functions that I started to like it.

3 Likes

I got Pohatu Mata for my 4th birthday. My Dad wanted me to become an engineer.

6 Likes

Wow, what a question. I have to search the deepest part of my memory. Honestly, I think I found Toa Mata Tahu at a store in 2001, pretty sure it was a Walmart and thought it was pretty cool asked my parents to get it and the rest is history.

Hazy as it was, I still remember the exact ToysRUs that I got Vezon and Fenrakk from in 2006. Sadly, it has since gone out of business.

2 Likes

same with me, but it was furno 1.0

I actually went to the Walmart I got Hahli from just this summer, and before you ask, no they did not have any Bionicle. (Much to my disappointment.)

3 Likes

Oh, I thought your first set was Kopaka mata, because, well, you know.

1 Like

Ghid’s whole brand is fake?

i guess he should ghid good

1 Like

Summer, 2001. I was 7 at the time. My family was visiting some relatives in another part of the country (Finland), and on the way back we visited the country’s largest village shop, Veljekset Keskinen (or today known as Tuuri), which is an attraction of sorts. As we were approaching the cash registers I spotted one of those cardboard shelves with the Toa Mata on it, and it was love at first sight, especially when I looked at Onua. I got the insatiable desire that I absolutely must have this set, so I begged my parents to a point that I cried, until they finally caved.

And thus began a long love. Bionicle’s aesthetic had something very attractive from the get go, which is kinda hard to describe. Something just ‘clicked’ about them the moment I saw them.

Although I owned the Slizers and Roboriders already with my brother, Bionicle came as a surprise at the time. Internet was still pretty new, so there was nothing that could’ve prepared me for it.

Due to my childish naiveté, I initially thought the rahkshi were the heroes of that year. Convinced myself of that, since I was used to the hero wave coming before the villain wave, as that’s how the sets were released back then. The previous wave was the Bohrok-Kal, iirc, so the rahkshi wave “should’ve” been good guys in my mind.

5 Likes

Was already a LEGO fan, didn’t have many sets but played the flash games on the website a lot (specifically the mars mission RTS.) Eventually discovered the bionicle section of the site around late 2008/early 2009. Got the stars and got pretty into hero factory after bionicle ended.

Only had a vague understanding of the lore, my exposure was limited to some of the 04 books, web of shadows, the legend reborn, and the 05 version of the bionicle encyclopedia.
I ended up falling out of interest in LEGO around the mid 2010s, sadly never got into g2 when it came out (but my youngest brother got ketar and some of the books.)

Started to rediscover bionicle around 2018, started getting into the lore, getting sets on ebay, joining the community for the first time, and now we’re here.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure a similar topic exists somewhere…

Searched it up before I posted this. There is not currently a topic devoted to how you were introduced to bionicle.

What about this, though?

3 Likes

Well shows over then.

Edit: well technically that’s talking about how you got into bionicle and this one’s talking about how you were first introduced to it. So technically they’re two different topics.

1 Like

I was aware of G1 via the comic books in circa 2014 and read some of them. I saw Kopaka (my favorite character at the point) in a Toysrus in April 2015 and he became my first Bionicle set.

1 Like

I was born in 2002. My brother collected Bionicles from 2001 to around 2005 so Bionicle was just always there. I dont know when I first heard of it, for me that’s like asking when you first heard of the United States or Jesus.

3 Likes

They are the heroes in my heart

It’s so bizarre how the first three years inspired such unique emotional reactions to them that the rest of the line simply couldn’t match. I’ve lived with Bionicle throughout the majority of my life, and I still don’t have an explanation as to why that was.

2 Likes

i mean i grew up with ignition and i probably get similar emotional reaction to that. i only heard about the 01-05 thru older stuff i got at thrift stores and what not. maybe its just more nostalgic if you live thru it. I suppose i do remember reading the 2003 bionicle guide all the time on the school bus tho and it was a good memort. either way i think i didnt feel what was so special about 01 for a while but then i played mnog for the first time semi recently (as after i started college recently)

As a kid I used to watch Bionicle movies

1 Like