I rate the Bionicle set or canon model of your choice

do this big boi:
IMG_2768

5 Likes

budget solek

there tarkur I did your job for you, saved a lil time

3 Likes

hahaha lol

I think I’ve managed to collect quite a backlog of reviews by now so I’d like to pause the submission period until I’ve finished the sets and models already submitted.

but don’t worry the submissions period will commence after Arthaka

Thank you for reading.

Hahaha… I got one better

a mistake

not actually my rating this is not canon

Edit:

I’ll allow it

2 Likes

Review

3 Likes

Also is that even canon?

2 Likes

yes, it be called Cave Shrike:

2 Likes

The Cave Shrike is canon, but I don’t think that model is. I wouldn’t trust the Bionicle Wiki.

1 Like

I checked bs01 and it’s canon

1 Like

BS01 makes no reference to the model shown above.

Again, the Cave Shrike itself is canon, and it has official artwork, but that specific model was never officially approved.

As far as I can tell, that image on the Bionicle Wiki was just created and added by a random fan.

4 Likes

BS01 list a creator but have no image for the model however I probably won’t review it seeing as the submission period is currently closed.

Ok another one done! Suggested by @KitharaTheRider

8622 Nidhiki

First thoughts
At first glance 8622 Nidhiki strikes me as a menacing threat and very alien. Something that draws my eyes most of the time is his very huge crab claws,

Design 7/10
In terms of design I think Nidhiki is a stunning model. I really love how the designer managed to make him look like the mutated monster he is through the mix of human, animal, alien and insectoid features mixed together.

I also like how the heavily specialized Bionicle piece contrasts well with the smoothness of the Technic pieces, the bohrok eyes and Rahkshi limbs. Despite this the legs look awfully stiff in the way they are designed and I can’t really figure out how they are supposed to move, considering the crab claws it would move like a crab though the sets design does not make this clear.

For the colorscheme I must say I enjoy it for the most part. It strikes a very good balance between each color especially the green and the silver however the black of the lower torso is a bit distracting and breaks the designs balance in color a bit. While the grey head does this as well it’s not as egregious as the black parts mainly because of its scale but also because grey as a color unlike black adapts around other colors better due to its properties.

Overall Nidhiki has a really cool and menacing design that’s pleasing to the eye.

Build 6/10
In terms of its build, Nidhiki is an interesting case. My experience building model was mostly fun and I felt that it offered enough complexity in the build to keep my interest. However it does a few things that I don’t like, for example the wider lower torso than upper torso don’t really look weird and the legs look a bit awkward and their lack of poseability really brings it down for me.

BUT… I love how the designer tried to quite purposefully mirror the Metru torso in the build without actually using it and to me that really sells the concept of a former toa that got mutated to me. I also like how the upper torso is connected by ball joints making you able to have him lunge forward.

In regards to the play features of this set I really do enjoy the simplicity of them while they are a detriment to mainly the legs. I still find them fun to play around with. folding up his legs puts him in flight mode and the claws work superbly.

The only real lazy parts of its build are the aforementioned lower torso that I feel could have used a bit more work and the Vahki head. While the head works as a mutated head it feels a bit lazy and I wouldn’t mind seeing something else. At least it gave us the Kanoka feature with it.

To conclude this section Nidhiki’s build has its many highlights but also many flaws. However , I feel like the positives outweigh the negatives here.

Believability 8/10
Nidhiki fits really well into the world of bionicle in my opinion and a lot of that has to do with his ranking as a dark hunter. As a band of pirates, mercenaries and social outcasts I think he fits right in especially because he nails the mutation look.

The torso looking like it used to be a metru torso also makes the set feel more connected with the universe similarly the various metru parts used with metru thigh armor even mounted on the legs really sells the idea of a mutated toa and makes Nidhiki really fit in.

The use of the vahki head while lazy indirectly makes the figure more connected to the world and it strengthens its believability.

Except for being hard to decipher how Nidhiki moves from his design its very much a believable look for the MU

Final score 7/10
Nidhiki is a nice, titan model with a menacing and cool design and build. While some parts could be more thought out and seem lazy it’s still worth your time. Nidhiki is a must buy for any collector in my opinion.

Next up Bordahk suggested by @Krelikan

6 Likes

That creator was the winner of a contest for the name and description of the previously-unnamed bird shown in the header image on BS01. There was no model involved.

3 Likes

Just wanted to provide a quick update to this, I’m still working on the Bordahk review/rating and I apologize for being so slow with these but I’ve been swamped with university work these last couple weeks but fortunately we’ll be rounding of the term in a week or so. So soon I won’t be as busy and can continue these ratings for you all.

//Tarkur

5 Likes

So uh
This still going?

1 Like

Yee I’ve just been busy and unmotivated, I’ll get back to it eventually can’t give any exact dates though.

2 Likes

coolio

Soon?

2 Likes

Sorry for the delays, I’ll try to get back to this with Bordahk some time in August but no promises

4 Likes

Bordakh is probably the only set worthy of so much effort, so I can understand the wait. Bordakh do like a long chase

4 Likes