Illegal Building Techniques

yeah… still tho, if you have your parts out, you should try it.

@Willess12 wow, you actually knew the names?

1 Like

Yeah, I got every BIONICLE name committed to memory.

4 Likes

I honestly think painting masks is fine

3 Likes

The only thing I can recall with illegal building is making a special chest piece with super glued parts on it, but that’s about it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well, I’ve been trying to find a way to add those googly mixel eyes to my Self-MOC’s Rode for a picture, but for the life of me I just can’t figure it out.

6 Likes

I’ve cut lightsaber rods,axles,pins,mutilated CCBS torsos and a lot more

5 Likes

http://i.imgur.com/ALm5PlC.jpg

/thread

why do people destroy for their benefit?
are you monsters not satisfied?

8 Likes

Well, there’s probably many illegal techniques I used in this torso:

All the parts are under so much stress it’s not even funny, pieces literally ping off when I try to disassemble it. O.O

6 Likes

“Illegal techniques” such as entrapment and simple friction are very useful. Note, for example, the white discs in Maxin’s upper arms, or the piston greebles in his torso (pictures in my flickr stream, won’t bother linking it on mobile).

Painting or modifying the pieces themselves falls into a different category, “non-purism”, while legality refers to the actual building or connections between parts within a model. People who are full-on “purist” ironically often forget that Lego set designers cut, glue, paint, etc. pieces when creating new products.

In a similar vein, I’m quite sure they also use illegal connections when developing sets. If a piece with a certain connection point doesn’t yet exist, it stands to reason that the people making the sets would use placeholder (“illegal”) connections instead.

5 Likes

I’ve probably used many, the issue is that even Lego uses illegal building techniques on sets (The Helicarrier interior monitors for example) so its difficult to tell which are illegal building techniques.

Is there like a book listing them or something, I’m sure i saw one prior.

2 Likes

I think he was referencing that people modify/paint parts, and use items to replace others. (System pieces on contraction.)

2 Likes

I heard that it’s not illegal; they just try to use it less frequently, and/or only on advanced sets because even though the connection doesn’t really stress the parts, small children may force or fiddle with the connection too much, resulting in stress

2 Likes

I’m rather certain that this
http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/52093/12831397445_SPLASH.jpg
is considered an illegal technique, despite its prevalence during the G1 days.

12 Likes

Oh yes, that’s very much illegal.

1 Like

The plate in clip technique was illegal in the past. However, LEGO recently redesigned their clip system slightly. The new clips are much sturdier and can’t be stressed in the same way. So the technique is now legal (with the new parts).

But that’s not non-purist/illegal in any way. In fact, I’d say it’s encouraged by LEGO’s core mindset.

6 Likes

This is the original Lewa’s instructions, it includes this technique for building Wiahura…

4 Likes

considering the parts are specifically molded to be able to do this,
as well as

not illegal.

3 Likes

Can you just imagine Imperial Guards just appearing where you are whenever you do an illegal technique?

That would be amazing

4 Likes

Is this illegal?

Try doing this with your own parts to see if it stresses anything, because to me, it slips in just fine.

6 Likes

Yeah, but the end of the pin is slightly larger and will be pushed together and in time stressed…

6 Likes