In Defense of: The Bohrok Kal

Another cool thing about the Bohrok Kal; they are the only sets (plus the Takanuva set) that have the socket/hand pieces in silver. That recolour never saw the light of day again after 2003…I only have one silver socket in my collection :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

“Bio Badness”?

Oh Mata Nui, I can’t breath, laughing too hard at that!

~W12~

5 Likes

This also shows how underrated brown sets are. There’s not even a diminute picture of Pahrak-Kal.

3 Likes

Kal are awesome! Who could forget those mini CDs!

I love the Bohrok, and I also love how the Kal could speak. That would have been super creepy!

1 Like

The many people who never owned a mini-CD player.

Overall players of the sort were a corporate failure and died within a few years.

2 Likes

But they worked wonderfully on personal computers, which were on the rise in 2003. Because PCs could read those kinda disks.

I’d know, I saw my brother use these on my dad’s computer when I was younger.

3 Likes

Even then a lot of players particularly ones that are becoming popular of late aren’t compatible.

Ones that don’t use a rotating lock to hold the CD almost never work.

1 Like

I’m talking about computers from 2003 though, not current ones.

It’s obvious we can’t use them NOW but we certainly could back then. Even the Gamecube used small disks at the time. They weren’t uncommon. They’re just irrelevant by today’s technology, but that always happens with technology.

2 Likes

Fair enough,[quote=“Chronicler, post:31, topic:11362”]
Even the Gamecube used small disks at the time.
[/quote]

Video game consoles don’t really count because until the Xbox they never really were built to play disks that weren’t burned for the specific system. (Even the Xbox only did it because it was really just a highly modified computer being sold as a console)

Alas yes.

2 Likes

Even so, there are machines which will let them work. I was just looking at the one for Tahnok-Kal today, actually.

1 Like

Sorry to necro, but I’d rather do this here than make a new topic. My main issue with the Kal, aside from being clone sets, is that the story feels disjointed. The Toa are sent on a repeat quest, the Kal being Bohrok adds next to nothing to the overall story. The arc of the Toa Nuva breaking up, then becoming a better team is good, but is somewhat pointless when MoL has them fighting again. It’s an awkward middle chapter, when the Bohrok story already provided a much better middle chapter.

Personally, I think the story would’ve been better had it been set concurrent with MoL. While Jaller and Takua journey across the island, the Toa are drained of their powers by Makuta’s forces, and have to go on a journey simultaneously with the MoL plot. This even could give the Nuva more to do at the finale, with the Vahi being used to seal the Kal as Takanuva fights Makuta.

Really, I think the reason for the story turning out this way was due to the movie’s development. It’s kinda noticeable in the ancillary media like the comics that not many others knew of how exactly the movie’s plot would go down. I don’t dislike 2003, but I think it could’ve been much better with more management.

2 Likes

This makes more sense to me, even if only to explain why the Toa weren’t doing more to help Takua and Jaller.

4 Likes

Necro’ing your necro, I quite like the idea of the Kal plot running concurrently with the MoL plot, that probably would have been better overall, and added to that ‘darkest hour’ vibe 2003 was going for.

You’re right though, that overall the reason the Kal exist is to fill the shelves and time for the movie to be done

3 Likes