In Defense of Vakama's Betrayal

But even through the mutation, I doubt Vakama would have joined the Visorak. Period.

Believe me, I thought the same at first, but after thinking about it even more, I began to side with Greg.

1 Like

Looks like you and I have separate origins. I originally bought Vakama’s betrayal as a kid, thought it was stupid until a year or two ago, and then analyzing Vakama’s character brought me back to the original.

So what makes you think Matau would be the right fit? Just curious.

2 Likes

Lols. Also, grreat argument! I always felt that Vakama betraying the others made sense. He’s down on his luck, his team hates him, and he’s gone a little weeee from all the Hordika venom. Thank you for proving my point. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If you take Hordika venom out of the mix, it doesn’t make much sense, but I had never really considered how the whole “I’m the alpha of my Toa pack” would come into play. It makes a lot of sense that it would, so I have to say I revoke my position as a doubter of Vakama’s betrayal. The third movie was still meh though (and never mind the cheap explanation to one of the biggest gaping plotholes in BIONICLE history).

3 Likes

On their return to Metru Nui, Matau consistently criticized Vakama, struck out on his own, and when they were mutated, blamed it all on Vakama. It would have made more sense for him to be the one to strike out on his own in anger.

3 Likes

I think there’s a big difference between claiming something isn’t out of character for Vakama and claiming that it’s completely in character for him.

What you’re offering is an alternate character interpretation of Vakama, but I can’t agree with the fundamental thesis. Vakama seeking approval above all else just isn’t really shown. Vakama chases ideals: that’s why he holds being a Toa in such high regard, and why he’s disappointed when he can’t meet them.

This defense hinges on a motive that really isn’t supported by the character. What you’ve done is explained how the events that happened to Vakama would effect a different character - a character that seeks approval from his heroes - and for that character, your eventual conclusion for how he turns when he is a Hordika does make sense. But Vakama isn’t that character.

7 Likes

@Leoxandar Matau didn’t really have much of a reason other than his appearance to leave the Toa, though. He was always treated as an equal, and others would go along with his jokes. He was accepted, and more likely to get what he wanted (turned back to his good old Toa-hero self) if he stayed with them. Vakama, on the other hand, was ostracized and treated poorly for most of his time among them, and thus it would be easier and more likely for him to leave.

I can see where you’re coming from, and actually I think this might support my point even more. Vakama isn’t shown always trying to gain approval, but it still plays a part. The fact that he chases those ideals of being a Toa are exactly why approval is, in my opinion, such a large part of his character. He seeks to be a true hero, but constantly disappoints others in his efforts to do so. I guess it’s not so much approval as it is validation as a heroic figure, and the events of the plot and his fellow Toa definitely don’t make him feel that way.

Edited for Double Post - Waj

Please refrain from posting on a topic twice in a row. If you want to reply to multiple people, just type the ‘@’ symbol in front of the user’s name that you want to reply to. Also, read this. Thanks :smile:

2 Likes

@Prehistoric_Echoes: You know, I never actually put much thought into those movies when I was younger. Now that I think about it, everything you said makes sense. If you look at it, the Toa Mata/Nuva have rather flat personalities at times, and while their decisions usually make sense, it’s only because they are rather 2-dimensional and have mostly pre-set personalities (Tahu: the hot-headed, impulsive, quasi-arrogant hero-type. Kapoka, the cold, serious, and uncompromising loner. Lewa: the joker who can’t take anything seriously and doesn’t like doing wha others tell him. Onua: the big and dumb, but friendly brute. Gali: the thoughtful, cautious, problem-solver/intermediary between those who can’t get along. Pohatu: [in the original] the friendly, persistent, and loyal guy… he’s less well-defined). Honestly, The Toa Metru are much more real of characters, especially Vakama.

I feel like Roodaka is one of the best villains, story-wise, in G1. She make sense as a villain and her actions are clever and truly evil. She wants power, so she marries a wealthy and powerful leader. When given the opportunity, she turns one of the heroes against his friends with little effort. She makes him almost utterly loyal. When she has the opportunity, she lets leaves her husband to die brutally so that she can have power. She does all in her power to rule, and she does it well and cleverly. As a character, she is a very strong villain role, and she’s not like most villains. She’s subtle, wicked, and willing to do anything to achieve her goals. As a set, though, she’s mediocre.

3 Likes

THIS
ALL OF THIS
Thank you, THANK YOU, for putting into words what I’ve been trying to explain to people for a while.

While I can see that for G2 Onua, I always thought of G1 Onua as the quiet but reliable and level-headed. Perhaps of average intellect and above-average strength, but still one of the group’s most rational members.

6 Likes

The Toa Mata sort of exemplify the stereotypical qualities of each element. Fire is hot-headed and arrogant, but also bold, strong, and willing to expose themselves to risk rather then sending others to do it. Ice is cold, callous, and anti-social, careful, and calculating, but not so arrogant as to never work with a team. Water is calm and thoughtful, and a god mediator, but has the most violent temper if unleashed. Stone is reliable, sturdy, and all-around likeable. No major flaws, just a nice person. Air is jolly and carefree, though that can get him into trouble. Earth is quiet, but when he speaks has something meaningful to say, the conscience of the team, as it were.

The Toa Mata embody these traits because it’s an introduction to the dynamics of a traditional Toa team. That’s why it took until about '06 to get more development with the Toa Mata.

4 Likes

Blasphemer! :stuck_out_tongue:

What am committing Heresy against?
I also like Makuta a lot, and the piraka are a cool idea…
I just feel like Roodika’s motives, actions, and demeanor are realistic and suitably evil (in a subtle way).

I agree perfectly. It’s just… been a while, and I was rushed when I wrote my comment.
I really like how true what you said was, it was better than what I said. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know actually :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

5 Likes

I’m sure someone here has insinuated this, but I always felt that Matau should’ve been the one to side with the enemy. Vakama was sick of ridicule and a rebellious team, but he was also timid, even as a Toa Hordika. Rather than joining up with the very beings that tried to kill his team in the first place, Vakama seems like the character who would strike out on his own simply because he was ticked off at everyone else, and then try to find answers himself.

On the other hand, Matau was absolutely disgusted with his Hordika mutation. This disgust could’ve driven him to an insane non state where he would be desperate for any chance of rescue, even that of Roodaka and Sidorak. If they promised to heal him in return for their help, Matau would do it, regardless of whether or not it was an empty promise.

1 Like

Even if this is entirely wrong, which I don’t feel it is, it has a lot of truth to it, it makes a ton more sense than Matau.

Yes he’s compulsive and self-obsessed, but really? He would join the enemy because he’s ugly? I don’t see that being very logical.

8 Likes

This topic made me like Web of shadows more than I used to, because now it makes sense and I can’t see it any other way.

1 Like

Also, there was only one Toa showing a bit support for his leadership. Nokama. Matau being the worst of all, Nuju and Whenua saying nothing to help Vakama during their disputes. Onewa has a different approach in the comics. But all 5 Toa’s have something in common, they don’t trust Vakama like they should. Trust is something important in friendship and leadership. Respect was also missing(another reason why he liked commanding the Visorak horde more than leading his fellow Toa friends). The only time where they really worked together was during the “Makuta vs Vakama” scene. But even then, they took their time to help him.

Only as Turaga, they really saw him as a leader(since he was deciding most of the time what should be done, mostly seen during the film).
I totally approve what you said, OP.

5 Likes