Kanohi with unique shapes

Excuse me, is there a Kanohi mask that is similar to the shape of the following:
A heart
A Star
A Clubs symbol
The Sun
The Moon

I ask because if there are Kanohi that are shaped as the following, this could open doors to theories as well as how canon the Kanohi mask making is. It is just that the Kanohi Great Hau and the Kanohi Great Pakari are shaped like shields (Hau is upside down shield) and the Kanohi Motrek looks similar to a Beetle. If you got any clues or details please let me know.

4 Likes

The Mohtrek might only look like a beetle because Bitil wears a shape-shifted mask after being mutated by swamp water

8 Likes

The Rode looks like a fat ocean sunfish, and it’s the mask of truth, so I definitely see the correlation there. Otherwise no obvious coincidence comes to mind.

5 Likes

The Kaukau looks like a diving mask (because it’s the mask of water breathing). The Toa Mahri masks also look like scuba masks, but that has nothing to do with their powers - it was a stylistic decision. Same goes for the '08 Makuta masks, which were made to look like bats and insects.

5 Likes

What theories could come from masks of those specific shapes?

What do you mean by this? Maskmaking is already canon.

As other have also pointed out, the physical version of the Kanohi Mohtrek is not its standard shape. That shape is unique to the shapeshifted appearance that Bitil took in Karda Nui.

6 Likes

I know that maskmaking is already canon but how the mask making works for different shaped or unique shaped Kanohi or Kanohi with the following symbols I mentioned I am unsure of. I need to know if it is possible for Kanohi to be shaped like the following.

@TahnokTrapper You are not wrong as both the Kaukau and the Faxon as well. The Makuta masks such as the Jutilin as well as Avsa and Shelek have the fangs as well as being bat like and same goes for the Mistika Makuta where they were insect-like having Bitil more beetle like, Gorast having a stinger/proboscis and Krika being cricket like.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

3 Likes

Like Jerminator said, mask making is a process which already exists in canon. Kanoka disks are melted down and either formed by hand into the desired shape or are poured into a mold, and Kanohi power comes from combinations of Kanoka disks, as well as other factors.

As far as canon goes, it’s made into that shape by hitting it with forging instruments or by pouring it into a mold.

…?

4 Likes

You mentioned that it is possible to have a desired shape for the Kanoka disks, but does this apply to Kanohi masks?

I am talking about a Kanohi that is shaped like a heart or a star as well as a Kanohi that could be shaped similarly to a water molecule or any Kanohi that can be crescent shaped or something I mentioned from the first post up top.

3 Likes

In theory, kanohi can be any shape, as the mask maker determines what a mask looks like. The shape is not determined by the masks power.

6 Likes

I imagine that masks could be forged in any shape desired—the materials that go into making a mask matters more than the physical appearance

For example, the Toa Hagah had masks forged to resemble those of past heroes. Their leader, Toa Norik, wears the mask of Shrinking, but it’s in the shape of the Kanohi Kiril, mask of Regeneration

6 Likes

The Kanoka disks are all the same shape, because they’re disks. They’re powerful weaponry and often useful tools, and the primary resource for creating Noble and Great masks of power.

Sure, it’s possible for a Kanohi to be shaped in such a fashion, although what exactly qualifies as a… Water molecule, or crescent, or a heart, star, clubs, the sun, or the moon is evidently up to interpretation, as I doubt many people would classify the Hau as “an upside-down shield.”

IMO, there isn’t any canonical Kanohi in any of those shapes in Bionicle, but I’m confused as to how the method of production could be theorized about if those shapes did exist. What would the implication be if there were Kanohi in the shape of a star?

4 Likes

If there were implications, it would mean that there could be possibilities of making the Matoran universe show diversity for every tribe of Matoran. Not to mention that there could be different unique abilities which would make each Kanohi mask different to one another.

3 Likes

That… Already exists.

Take a look at 2001’s Matoran settlements, or Koros, on the island of Mata Nui. You’ll find a vivid and thought-out culture within each one which distinctly separates it from the others: the scholarly and reserved Ko-Matoran, the laid-back and casual Le-Matoran, the spiritual and empathetic Ga-Matoran, the hardened and militaristic Ta-Matoran, the laborious and intuitive Onu-Matoran, and the artistic and sports-obsessed Po-Matoran.

That already exists too. Each Kanohi shape is associated with a specific power, and nearly every single mask shape in the films, sets, and comic books has some kind of power attached to it. The diverse amount of powers in those Kanohi is absurdly large as well, from growth to mutation to invisibility to repulsion to charisma - and even masks that can open doors from one dimension to another.

Considering this is a fan website, where you’re encouraged to design and create whatever you wish, you could come up with your own idea for hypothetical Kanohi in the shapes you envisioned with unique and interesting powers.

6 Likes

me and the boys wearing flat sheets of metal on our faces

6 Likes

The masks from TF2 come to mind…

4 Likes