Kohlla, Toa of Light

Kohlla, Toa of Light

[details=Lore and History]Once an Av-Matoran living on Karda Nui, Kohlla was one of the few abducted by the Order of Mata Nui during the Time Slip. She was integrated into a small community of Ce-Matoran living on an island just south of Artidax, called Koto Nui. Following this, the last six months of history was erased from the minds of every inhabitant of the Matoran Universe, save for a few. This included the Order of Mata Nui, but also a Turaga of Psionics known as Kaiteii, whom led the community of which Kohlla was now a part of. Kaiteii achieved this through a combination of accumulated wisdom, knowledge and all the Psionic power that she could muster.

For a time, Kaiteii allowed Kohlla to become a part of her village, treating her as though she had always been there, and yet remaining weary of her true persona. The Turaga believed that Kohlla was destined to become a Toa one day, and whilst usually cause for celebration, she feared the enemies and the ruin that the unique threat of a Toa of Light could bring to her village. As such, she took Kohlla under her wing, teaching and preparing her in secret for the day she would become a Toa. Said day soon came to pass, and after discovering a hidden Toa stone which had been revealed as a result of imminent peril, Kohlla became a Toa of Light. However, she kept to her word and her training, and instead masked herself as a Toa of Psionics.

Upon meeting her new teammates, the Toa Kymo, they quickly found what had put their island in such danger. A rahkshi horde, set on the warpath by a Makuta who had once ruled Koto nui, only to be repelled by Kaiteii’s team. Now he had returned, and his sights were set on conquest. The Toa Kymo fought valiantly, tearing through the Rahkshi armies, culminating in a final battle between them, the Makuta, and what remained of his Rahkshi. In a moment of desperation, Kohlla revealed her true nature, shedding her disguise as a Toa of Psionics. The power of her light, in conjunction with the psionic abilities granted by her tools and training, as well as the powers of the other Toa Kymo, finally allowed them to defeat the Makuta. And now, they stand stalwart in defense of Koto Nui in the face of any other threats.[/details]

[details=Abilities and Personality]As a Toa of Light, Kohlla can control said element. However, through use of equipment and training, she also exhibits or otherwise simulates most of the powers available to Toa of Psionics. As an Av-Matoran, Kohlla was struck by the surge of energy produced by the Ignika when it was equipped by a member of Jovan’s team, which triggered her unique light ability; something that would’ve otherwise been lost to her as a result of the Time slip. Said ability is the power to create and telekinetically manipulate hardlight constructs, which she uses to generate the effect of Psionic Telekinesis. Kohlla wears a Kanohi Suletu, which she passes off as a Hau forged in the shape of a mask worn by an ancient hero - the shield generated by her “mask” is simply a hardlight construct made using her aforementioned unique ability. In addition to this, the Order of Mata Nui gave Kohlla the necessary training required to develop a mindshield during the six months of no recorded history. This was done in order to allow her to blend in better amongst her new kin, whom all possess natural mindshields as a result of their latent powers. Her main weapons are a pair of Greatswords, one of which she wields in her hands, whilst she controls the other telekinetically. This is as a result of their immense weight making them impractical to dual wield traditionally, though her method means that she does not have to sacrifice her combat prowess or speed to do so.

Whilst masquerading as a Toa of Psionics, Kohlla was shy and introverted, keeping to herself to try and stop the others from figuring out her past. Once she was forced to do so in battle however, she quickly shed this mask, becoming outgoing and generally more confident. Whilst this is somewhat the result of a partially repressed personality, it more has to do with Kohlla’s eagerness to prove herself in an effort to live up to both the expectations of a Toa, but also those of a Toa of Light.[/details]

This is Kohlla, a MOC who I have been working on for just under a year now, originally starting out as a very different character in terms of build and backstory. Whilst most people could probably create something better in that time, I’m still quite proud of how she turned out. She uses custom building techniques in everything but the forearms, though I am still very happy with the result. I tried to aim for a feminine appearance, without making use of more explicit techniques. Constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated!

41 Likes

I Iike the amount of detail and colours, however the proportions are a bit wacky, I also think the waist is to thin.

that sword is pretty rad though

5 Likes

I think she looks a little too blocky, but her prisim sword is great.

2 Likes

Those swords are catchy. Though she is, uh, blocky, you’ve blended styles well.

1 Like

I love the torso and the sword design, nice work.

1 Like

As a female moc, this is really good! My only complaints are that the legs are a little thick, and the head looks a little too masculine. The sword is pretty slick if I do say so myself.

1 Like

The swords are the real highlight for me. I also love that head. It’s got such a cool look to it.

Time for a reply wall!

@yolo360nosescope Thanks! I tried to work making her proportions as accurate as I could get them, though the waist was actually the main area of issue. I can’t figure out a way to widen then make them more curved.

@Miraku Being blocky is part of her style in a way, though it’s something I’ve also had difficulty with balancing out against trying to make her feminine.

@Mavrah I tried pretty hard to blend the two styles, so I’m glad to hear you think so too. Thanks for the feedback!

@Kardax Thanks! Happy to hear you like her!

@Morgy You don’t know how happy I am to hear that! I’ve put a lot of effort into making her appear feminine and yet not stereotypically so, so hearing that as feedback is really nice! The problem with the thickness of her upper legs is that I’ve had a lot of difficulty with attempting to get the smooth and curved style, so I had to make a sacrifice or two here and there. As for the head, it’s one of the few yellow helmets that I think looks really good, though it was also my go-to anyway.

@BlackboltJohnson Thanks! It’s the Evo head from Brain Attack!

Thanks for all the feedback!
Seeing as pretty much every comment has had something to say about the swords, I’m up for making a How-To on them, though they are pretty simple. The same offer goes for another part of her, if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

This is awesome. I would say that the yellow pieces on her feet look a little off but, if they’re keeping her balanced, then go ahead and keep them.

The similarities to Kohlla and Cordax are crazy