LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Set Poll Discussion

Maybe you see something here that’s still worth sticking around for but I’m increasingly not. The longer nothing new comes out, the more the fanbase shrinks and becomes more insular. I’ve seen how toxic and desperate fandoms for dead franchises become and I don’t want to be part of that.

2 Likes

You’re talking about the fandom, not about being a fan individually. I’m too old to let external forces prevent me from enjoying what I love.

11 Likes

Yeah, if anything I think we as fans played the biggest role in destroying Bionicle’s chances of returning as G3 because we did not show enough support for G2’s sets, even though some of them (a lot of them actually) were really, really good and solid builds. I think we just ignored them because they did not use G1 pieces.

4 Likes

Yeah same reaction as @Atobe_Brick
Had no expectations therefore was not disappointed lol

I mainly collect vintage Lego so throwbacks to me are nice, although Castle is so and so to me, only have 5ish sets from it. Compared to several shelves of Space Themes :money_mouth_face: …still haven’t got Galaxy Explorer doh :skull:

It apparently will be based off 6080 Lion Knights Castle/Kings Castle. It’s got a hefty price tag so maybe it will be the biggest castle we’ve seen yet?

Surely they can do a Green Axe, White Sword or Fire Sword as a reference in a presumed armory! That’s the token reference I’d look forward to :smiley:

You do you.
I have personally found the boards to be a nice pocket of the fandom and nothing makes constructible action figures and talking about them and weaving stories about them inherently, ‘toxic.’ I’m willing to stick around to have fun among a small group. Or heck as an individual, I did so for years before connecting with the fandom.

10 Likes

Disagree.
Although, there could have been a little more unity in the fandom’s support for the products of the reboot, those who complained about the G2 sets not using “old-school” parts were a very small minority. (from what I experienced, at least…)
Besides, the theme should have targeted newcomers & other potential new fans rather than Us, older fans.

7 Likes

I agree. Here in England we suffered from many stores simply never stocking the sets in the first place. In 2015 you could only ever find 4/6 protectors and LoSS on the shelves. I saw Gali in a store once, but didn’t get her as I was low on money at the time. I never saw her again. I ended up having to order Pohatu and Kopaka online and miss out on everyone else. When the skull villains came about, Basher and Slicer were completely absent.

2016 got even worse. The only sets stores ever seemed to have were Ikir, Terak and Akida. Literally nothing else. No Toa, no Umarak, nothing. It was desolate.

8 Likes

The sets were also expensive

3 Likes

My love for Bionicle has never hinged on LEGO putting out a new product.

I’m not going to get into “true fan” nonsense because the fact is we all like what we like for our own reasons.

But for a great many people in the Bionicle community, the love and appeal comes from things that go a lot further than official LEGO products.

12 Likes

To elaborate my feelings about this. The response to this (and every other punch in the face that the fandom has received recently) is something along the lines of “To heck with Lego! We’ll just do it ourselves! Bionicle lives on in us!” And while I can see that some see this as a rallying cry, at this point for me, it just feels exhausting. Even if I joined in and tried to make something Bionicle related with what meager creative skills I have, I wouldn’t feel like I’m keeping it alive. I’d just feel like I’m trying to convince myself that it’s still alive. And I am just too drained to do that right now.

3 Likes

So don’t. No one is forcing you to continue liking Bionicle, or even trying to convince you otherwise.

This, though:

is completely unnecessary, and contributes to the toxicity that you claim to be trying to get away from.

No one is telling you when or how to enjoy something, and that should go both ways.

EDIT: Reading this back, I realize my phrasing here came off harsher than I intended, and I apologize for that. I’m not trying to make you feel bad for wanting to walk away from the Bionicle fandom; everyone wants different things from the franchise, and you’ve given perfectly good reasons for being tired of what we have left.

My only issue with your statement was the implication that your view was somehow objectively correct, and that everyone else should try to leave the “sinking ship”.

9 Likes

I totally agree with this.
This is because Castle has already begun voting with a subdivided list.
It seems that it is already considering the Castle and was trying to decide what kind of Castle it would be.

10 Likes

Absolutely spitting facts!
Had not thought of that but that makes sense why castle had so many whereas other themes and subbranches where unrepresented.

2 Likes

Actually, a huge problem with G2 that was pointed out to me recently is that it came five years after the end of G1. What age demographic was G1 aimed at? Most of the time, it was 7+. Myself, I was 8 when the theme originally ended. That made me 13 when it came back. Most fans who were children during G1’s run were still children or young adults for G2. We shouldn’t blame ourselves for not carrying G2 because most of us either were not financially independent enough to, or could not afford to, buy a ton of sets, especially at price points much higher than the original theme. This is part of the “wider context” I hinted at in my original post.

Exactly my reasoning.

What punches in the face? Most of them were self-delivered. LEGO didn’t lay Greg off because he wrote BIONICLE (despite what some in the fandom would have you believe). Greg was an inevitable casualty of the reality of capitalism. We made the canon contests hell for ourselves. LEGO didn’t make the Sokoda’s set lose the BLDP, that was the result of a number of factors. The cancellation of G2 feels like yesterday but it’s been longer since G2 ended than the gap between G1 and G2 by now. I think the fandom has an issue with being a little bit defeatist about our theme. We can control the theme ourselves. We’ve been doing it. Check out any of the massive, amazing fan projects that have been springing up the past few years. If you feel you don’t have the creative potential to contribute, then don’t - just enjoy them. That’s all anyone’s asking for.

8 Likes

Speaking of money, did anyone else notice that the price for the 90th anniversary set is $350?

Yeah. That’s a hefty price tag. I know what I said in a previous post about how I’d most likely buy it because I see it as a sign that Lego might still care about the older fans, but now that I actually know the price… yikes. That’ll throw a HUGE wrench in my annual Lego-spending budget.

Another reason why they should’ve just remade Tahi. He would’ve come out way cheaper.

4 Likes

Yeah, I saw that. LEGO was not gonna produce a 300-400 dollar BIONICLE set, especially out of bricks, especially after the Designer Program. And, as I mentioned, I won’t be buying this. I just wouldn’t be able to justify that to myself - I think that’d be the most expensive LEGO set I’ve ever had the privilege of owning. Now, on the other hand, if this were a BIONICLE set, even a brick-built one… I’d consider buying this. I’d budget and save for it.

6 Likes

I agree to heck with lego for sure. But no ones bringing back bionicle let alone the fans. We would just fight each other over dumb crap all day. On the bright side at least I don’t have to spend a couple hundred bucks on a system bionicle set just to prove a point to the LEGO overlords.

Honestly, I don’t think a single Bionicle set could have done the 90th anniversary or Bionicle itself justice. A castle set on the other hand would be ideal for packing in references to other iconic themes. Though part of me would have preferred a collection of smaller models commemorating different themes.

Oh, but imagine if they’d gone with both themes and released a $300 Ta-Koro set!

8 Likes

I don’t think it would necessarily have to be a $300 set. They could just make it as big or small as it needed to be.

90 years
9 decades of The Lego Group

Personally I think it merits big! Plus they know fans will buy whatever castle offering is dropped from their realm…if only the primary themes could come back in some concrete form…

As a 12v Train fan I would have liked a train with carriages referencing themes from over the years. Could have had a Liquid transport suspiciously similar to a Toa Canister! Trains where for a long time a big part of the portfolio but in recent years have taken a back seat. Even fits with travelling across time…Time Twisters amirite :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I for one welcome our classic castle overlords

I NEED MORE OF THEM

ACTUALLY

What I want is just a new lego castle theme in general. I’d like to have it back. Bring back the cool viking sets too, Lego, you’re a danish company that is your heritage.

7 Likes