LEGO Ideas 90th Anniversary Set Poll Discussion

Or you know, vote for the theme you want to win

1 Like

They literally say that although the top voted theme won’t necessarily be the one to be picked, they still want to know which of those themes is the most popular. If Bionicle wins, they might at least consider doing a separate Bionicle tribute set in the future, even if not for the 90th anniversary occasion.
Remember, at the end of the day, this whole poll was just free market research. If Bionicle wins or ranks high, that might finally convince LEGO that Bionicle is still a viable IP that they should continue exploring.

10 Likes

hot take: vote for the theme you want to lose

This.

I hate to be a pessinak, but it seems obvious bionicle was never intended to win this contest and get a set for the anniversary. It was always going to be the top two (or three, if bionicle wasn’t on there). Instead, this poll served the dual purpose of gauging interest in bionicle while also deciding the anniversary set theme.

If, in the second round of voting, bionicle wins, the anniversary set will still be classic space/whatever the other runner-up is, and the chances of a g3/brickonicle increase exponentially. If bionicle loses the second round, but does well, chances are still improved.

So if you don’t really have an opinion on which of the other two themes wins, or want to see a g3/some form of bionicle anniversary, vote bionicle. If you think bionicle might actually get the 90th anniversary set, vote for it. Or don’t, if you prefer another theme.

And if I am wrong, and the 90th anniversary set is bionicle? I will celebrate. With tacos. and a healthy dose of dihydrogen monoxide.

16 Likes

i’m glad i looked that up

2 Likes

Since is a Lego anniversary set, it should be system base. Having said that, I would love to see a system set BIONICLE, understanding it would only be one set and not a G3 series, something similar to this or what Sokoda did:

I would love to have some great BIONICLE minifig, and if they add a Great Spirit Robot, it would be the cherry on the cake.

The logical option would be the 90th anniversary set have a yellow minifig with a Emmet face, which BIONICLE wouldn’t have, but a man can dream.

2 Likes

I’m just disappointed that the alternatives will probably be Classic Space and Pirates, both of which have gotten tributes really recently.

I get that Bionicle probably isn’t likely to be the 90th anniversary tribute, but I’d feel much better with something like Adventurers, Castle (like, any castle line) or Time Chasers even - not because I “prefer” those, but because they haven’t gotten significant tribute sets in ages whereas Pirates and Classic Space have.

5 Likes

You don’t need this vote for those things to happen, the ideas system is always available, a play set/brickonicle wouldn’t be viable seeing as that needs custom molds but something like the GSR however can happen… :wink:

*cough *cough vote for my idea pls

@Toa-of-Snow very good point about Space and pirates, I regret putting Classic space as one option seeing as there has been the LEGO movie and ideas sets for it. Such a missed opportunity for a unique set release, imo another train would be welcome or an adventures set with a different setting

3 Likes

The article has been updated.

4 Likes

If Bionicle isn’t the anniversary set, I’d love to see some classic castle sets. I’ve missed castle.
Also, if it does end up being a pirate set, can we at least get a set that we can afford? I’m sick of giant pirate ships that I have no space for and can’t dish out the cash for.

5 Likes

It’s unlikely that Bionicle’s going to pull through. Compiling all the Space and Castle subthemes into one each puts them both ahead of Bionicle, and although Castle doesn’t appear to have made it, it Pirates will still get a bump from other System fans too.

In a way, yeah, okay, sure. Bionicle is a unique thing and not representative of Lego as a whole, even if it’s a very important part of Lego’s history. If Lego were handling this properly and having a whole line of Anniversary sets, like they did for Star Wars, then I’d expect Bionicle to be one of them. But if they’re only doing one, then yeah, it should probably be something more representative of the entire franchise.

That said, it’s very disappointing that the alternatives are Pirates, which has gotten some great sets in the past few years, and Classic Space, which has been Lego’s go-to Nostalgia Button for like a decade now.

EDIT: Switched to a version of the image without swearing

25 Likes

Interesting. BIONICLE won because it has a great comunity behind, with people in age that most use internet. I don’t think there is a Classic Space or Pirates community that could call for votes for the contest, unlike BIONICLE.

So that everyone is happy, the final set should be a Classic Space Pirate ship (something like Treasure Planet), with the Great Spirit Robot as the ship’s figurehead.

Ok, your Lego Idea is ludicrous good. I love him.

6 Likes

That picture sums it up perfectly :grinning:
Now we just need an Aqua Magna fragment…

6 Likes

Ok, that’s actually a really cool idea.

3 Likes

Alright guys, we have the winner right here

It’s called the Pirate Spaceship of the Great Spirit

31 Likes

World Peace achieved! Everyone’s happy! Yay!

7 Likes

I need that on my mantelpiece, now!

4 Likes

Aw, I can’t believe you’ve done this.

2 Likes

Wait a minute…

mb2

mb3

We have our answer!

9 Likes

If Classic Space wins, it’d be interesting if they released a recreation of one of the prototypes featured in this video.

3 Likes

Even if Classic Space won (very likely), I don’t think they would revitalize any of those old cancelled ideas (part of me questions if the people currently working at LEGO even remember those). We’ll probably just get a remake/reimagining of the classic 497 Galaxy Explorer set, and that would be it.

3 Likes