Lord of the Rings VS Harry Potter

It depends on the translation you have (the original books had plenty of old words that you can’t understand very easily) and how mature and book fan you are (If I asked a 8 year old nowdays to read LOTR, he would 100% not be able to do it).

1 Like

Lord of the Rings has an epic fantasy feel, while Harry Potter has a dark yet whimsical feel. I love both, but I gotta go with Lord of the Rings.
Now Harry Potter vs Percy Jackson is a debate I could really get in to, because there are more parallels.

3 Likes

As far as books go, LotR no contest (though I love HP too, and it’s different enough that you can’t really compare it to LotR).

As far as movies go, it’s more-or-less a draw for me. The HP movies are more faithful to the books and don’t suck the life out of half the characters, but they still have their share of issues on those fronts, and nothing can top LotR’s score.

3 Likes

I’ve never personally read Harry Potter, or the whole LoTR series, but based on the reputation of each and what I’ve read of each

Harry Potter has nothing on LoTR.

3 Likes

I think their too different, I like them equallly
(Maybe LOTR slightly more as the bad guy doesn’t fail to a bunch of kids at a school)

4 Likes

You forgot the “and dies to a disarming spell” part

Oh, yeah, without LotR, I doubt HP would ever have existed, so if that helps change anything or invites conflict, just thought I’d throw that out there.

4 Likes

I mean… Sauron was technically defeated by two child-size young adults.

2 Likes

I think you mean died to his pet snake getting sliced in two by a magic sword :stuck_out_tongue:

Excuse me, but for what Hobbits lack in stature, they more than make up in stealth, intelligence, resistance to evil, etc.

5 Likes

Still childs.

They are above the age of 18 though

Actually in the first book, in the first chapter Bilbo celebrates his birthday, but Frodo also celebrates his 33th birthday, which is the age you turn officially adult if you are a Hobbit. So technically if he were just “above 18” he won’t be officially an adult.

1 Like

Sadly, the movie trilogy changed that.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true.

Actually, I have to intervene and disagree.
In the Fellowship of the Ring, the first bit of the movie is actually Bilbo’s 111th birthday… as well as Frodo’s 33rd. Bilbo actually does say so at least once during the party or before.

I was reffering at the fact that they don’t explain the fact that Hobbits become adults at 33 years.

3 Likes

Well, yeah, but I think some parts of the movie were there was hidden lore were dependent on people already have read the LOTR and Hobbit books.

1 Like

Truthfully, of all the 30+ of lore they didn’t fit into the movie, I think the fact that the legal age of adulthood of Hobbit-kind was omitted really isn’t near as disappointing.

1 Like

It’s not like they couldn’t shoved it in a small line.
I mean, I am not sad per say about this, it’s just Tolkien was so careful when crafting the wordbuilding of his universe, and the movies ignored so much of it, that it annoys me even more when I see that they didn’t introduce pieces this small.

3 Likes

Still, they fit in so much already, just an age’s relevance in a culture seems trivial, and would probably feel forced in.

4 Likes