Makuta the Mad King

Sleek and attractive Lord of Evil. Definitely has a shot at being in the finals.

(Specially like the leaning smug pose that he does on the throne)

4 Likes

This is awesome. It’s just so neat and compact and vile looking. He’s the kind of villain that shoots lightning from his fist instead of barreling forward with a sword. I love it, and the throne makes it for me.

This is where my entry fails :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Am I the only one getting a Scar from the Lion King vibe from the backstory of this moc? Other than that, great moc!

1 Like

Fantastic MOC, and the backstory goes with the way you’ve interpreted the character perfectly. The throne is also excellent.

2 Likes

Definitely my favourite in the contest so far. Great use of those shutter pieces as the back of the chair.

Can you link us your contest entry from the official site?

A lot of effort went into the chair… i feel perhaps a bit much considering this was for a Makuta contest and the Makuta is what is being judged. While the Makuta is based on the idea of it being easy to play with, the chair is seemingly a lot more delicate with delicate pillars at the front.

In terms of MOC’ing in general the chair is very impressive though i think it could do with a bit more vegetation. I can see a bit of grass/leaf here and there, however i think vines or something going through one of the eyes of the skulls surrounding the chair (To give more of an ancient impression) might help this chair a bit more.

As with others, my only real thing that stands out for me as not working with the Makuta MOC itself is the piston, the rest of the body follows the same sort of layout (Going from small and thin to slightly bulky in ‘V’ shapes. The piston opposes this making it draw the eye and unfortunately i feel comes up a bit too high (rather than being sleek with the rest of where the upper body ends)

In essence;

• Epic looking chair

• Nice looking Makuta, piston feels out of place

• Fan backstory is nice for this MOC, though for the contest I’m unsure if it will fit as i believe one of the parts was how much the MOC relates to the G2 version. Introducing the Mata Nui father aspect could cause some raised eyes in judges if they are looking for something to accurately represent their story.

• Feel that the time spent on the chair might have been wasted given its a contest entry for Makuta and while a designer video had a chair’d Makuta, i think that was simply for displaying him and i am unsure if the chair will factor into the decision

In terms of your version of him, it makes sense. If your judging this on your own version of Makuta then it works well, i can see this version as a calculated puppetmaster pulling the strings while he sits back and orders minions around (Kind of like Sidorak to an extent)

Though in terms of official media G1 Makuta did have large hulking monster forms. His main form in the movies is precisely that, a hulking beast that towers over the Toa using sheer force to defeat them (when not playing mind games)

However, the contest is based around the G2 Makuta, though not stated per say the entire contest video focuses on the G2 Makuta and nothing in G2 has been asking users to show G1 based aspects. As such judging from the G2 canon, i feel its a bit of a contradiction given G2’s Makuta became a giant hulking monster and stayed that way after putting on the MoUP.

Yeah, its Lion King;

• King Mata Nui = Mufasa
  • Ekimu = Simba
  • Makuta = Scar

Nothing wrong with that, its an interesting concept - though I’d be concerned that he may lose points if it doesn’t fit with the character in the actual canon. For this MOC to win, it would be Lego essentially canonising a fan MOC and potentially run the risk of canonising the fan’s submitted ideas for the lore - given i expect them to do something with the winning entry other than simply having them win.

Personally i cant picture Mata Nui ever having siblings though and the backstory raises the question of who Mata Nui was with - given the implications of bits of G2’s story that imply the idea of a ‘father’ and ‘son’ in terms of a normal human family (e.g. there would probably be a mother or some method of reproduction)

3 Likes

Looks pretty neat! my only issue being the chestplate, but I guess that is somewhat out of your control.

(unless you tried something custom…)

1 Like

That chair is absolutely stunning. Very slick and menacing, I can imagine that this Makuta goes to the same furniture store as Sauron or whoever did the interior design for the Red Keep. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The chest armour add-on is not that big of an issue since it still meshes nicely with the chima armour add-ons and thematically goes well with the look that he shares with the villager sized and Toa sized Ekimu figures.

Plus I really like the spikes on the arms that visually connect both purple and gold on the arm, seemingly continuing the colour scheme throughout the arm (its what I personally done with my Tahu and Gali revamps a year ago so I definitely approve of this choice).

The nice blend of both textured (bohrok head pieces, arm tires, mask, beast head, and the chest piece) and smooth (chima plates, invasion from bellow thy add-ons, CCBS shells) and standard system all work to make a convincing MOC that would most likely be able to pass out as a boxed Titan set if it ever come to pass (which you were going for and succeeded in my book)

As for the the throne, the only mechanical issue I have with it is that he garage door pieces are in an weird straight lined angle in the area where the figure would be sitting (making it look like Makuta would have a hard time sitting on that throne if it ever was a real thing). Not sure if thats corrected a bit when you place the figure on it. The throne itself reminds me of a dentist chair MOC that was once posted on these threads, even though the parts used are different, but the shape of the sitting area and the angle of the chair reminds me of it.

1 Like

“All hail His Grace, Makuta of Okoto, First of His Name, King of the Matoran and the Okotians, Lord of the Six Regions, and Protector of the Realm.”

1 Like

HERESY
The MoC is great, but the real icing on the cake is that spectacular throne. Nice work, Var!

1 Like

anyways, this looks nice XD

6 Likes

What’s that piece that makes up the backboard of the throne? Tank treads?

No, they are garage panels.

2 Likes

Only problem is the weirdly shaped chestplate, I feel like it kind of clashes with the mocs great proportions and very cohesive looks :slight_smile:

There’s no doubt that it’s a increasing impressive design from head to toe, though I’m not sure how much I like the color distribution in the shoulders and the lower legs; it seems like a bit too much gold. Overall, it’s a fantastic piece, though that really channels the G1 character and reinterprets the G2 one.

Ayy, this got tweeted by Rebrick!

Game of thrones reference?

How?

Anyway, this moc is pretty freakin spectacular and the throne really just tops it off