Makuta's puppets - Toa Hagah (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art))

Looks like someone played reverse card on me

1 Like

This is a really outstanding drawing, the details are really well done. What you have achieved here is very impressive. The kraahkan as background it’s a nice addition. I have seen you made a few changes, which is fine for consistency, especially, the metallic colors since I aprove the 2/2/2 ratio (I originally wanted gunmetal to be the third, but metallic blue works fine too).

If I have to choose which is the best change, that would be Bomonga’s shoulder armor. I don’t know if it’s allowed, but in case it is, we’ll have different shoulder armors for each Hagah avoiding the repetition of the metru shoulder and the nuva one that clearly doesn’t cover the shoulder properly in metru builds. Amazing idea! Hopefully, more entries will do the same if it’s allowed.

From another point of view, the usage of the Elda in a toa of water may be a bit repetitive, but it still works.
What I truly believe doesn’t fit here are the spear changes. Gaaki is using a piece that has already been too overused, the mahri blade. Since 2007, we have had it in matoran, toa size sets, titans, vehicles and even playsets. Her original piece was too big compared to the other spears, so looking for a smaller piece was a good idea, however, that one in particular is not the best choice.
About Pouks, he’s using a piece that is already Kopaka’s characteristic weapon. It’s true that Norik uses Gali’s aqua axes, but if we can avoid repetition, I believe we should and with even more reason if it’s an ice piece in a toa of stone. He’s previous weapon already worked fine despite being a Hero Factory piece.

And also one other thing… thank you for not showing Bomonga’s limbs.

3 Likes

I see the debate about what Bomonga I drew and I understand the confusión, since Double’s and Perp’s have a similar build. But I did drew Double’s Bomonga, I used that model to have that pose.
I hide the limbs with the shield and Kualus to left them ambiguous. But those torse limbs are there, just not showing.
The spear and the mask are the same (although the last one I try to merge the original design with the Mahri one, to again keep it more open to interpretation, but I may have gone too aquatic).
The neck armor is the same, metru knee cover, I just didn’t drew it that well at that point and didn’t think it requiered a correction. Same with the shoulders, I didn’t plan change them, but the draw is more open to interpretation (although I don’t really think that looks like a Barraki armor)
Sorry for the bad spealling, I’m not in a computer to check it.

7 Likes

Looks like Metru shoulder armour to me. I think the art style just makes it ambiguous.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any 3d piece that looks just like the organic one (without that mouth). One of the reasons I chose that mask was to have a more “official” inorganic Inika masks. For my original MOC entry I used Galva one, wich is really close but not close enough.

Yeah, I read that after painting the eyes. At this point I’m just testing if they accept it. If not, it’s an easy fix, but it would ruin each character’s uniqueness and some contrast.
Since in the comics they loved changing the eyes color, I though it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. Even Makuta have a different eye color that his set counterpart.

Since Double’s mask and regular Mahri Faxon are so similar, I tried to draw them as a combination of the two, leaving it open to interpretation. My major concern is that mask would end up been considered as a mask of unknown power, that looks like almost exactly as a Faxon, instead of a non aquatic Faxon.

Given the amount of talent in this community, I don’t really have high hopes of winning, but it was a fun exercise nevertheless. So don’t worry about that and go for it!

It’s a really nice combination, but needing to have 4 different color paints to recreate them would be a real bummer. That why I went for 2/2/2.

I don’t think the overused of the Mahritoran blade is a bad thing for her, speacially since that weapon hasn’t been the main weapon of any Toa size set (as I recall). I really like the harpoon look that it give, making her spear the more spear-like tool from all the Hagah (including Norik and Iruini).
About Pouks spear, I honestly chose that one because I saw that Galva’s Pouks (that used that piece) end up in the final and because it fits well with the rest of the team. Others knights kingdom swords seems to big to me. Also, the different color of the spear would help differentiate it from Kopaka’s weapon.

3 Likes

It won’t be accepted. You will need to return them to the eye colors represented in the winning MOCs. Please do that before the entry period ends, thank you.

1 Like

Done.

Perhaps the infamous Blue Steel
Awesome entry, the reasoning behind the alterations is good. Good luck in the polls!

1 Like

while I love the pouks with metalic blue. (it works suprisingly well on him) I do like the orange gold on gaaki and metalic green on bomonga. gives them something unique that would help them stand out in the character lineup.

all are this honor guard type character but each is their own subtype if you will. bomonga being this towering giant. pouks this tough and darker metal. gaaki with this exotic copper plate and kualus having this distant warrior in the mist metal blue. while iruni and norik have two different interpretations of the shining knight. one being dressed in gold and the other feeling more militant in silver.

overall I like the drawing with them standing on a hill. as if they are surrounded on all sides. (fools. now they don’t have to worry where to point their weapons as they will know they’ll always hit something) it gives them this heroic last stand vibe that I really like with the mask of shadows looming over them.

2 Likes

Maybe that why they looks so fabulous.

I do like a lot copper Gaaki and Green Bomonga, I made a recolor with that combination. But having to buy two extra pintures I think is a lot of work for replicability sake, so I went for a 2:2:2 ratio, but I would be perfectably fine with each member having their own color.

1 Like

I like this artwork although one of my main issues with it is how Gaaki’s mask is the same as Hahli Inika’s but silver. It’s not the one I personally envisioned and also kind of distracts from the others knowing that everyone else has a mask that’s mainly unique to them, but with that being said, I wish you luck at the polls!

1 Like

Thanks! About Gaaki’s mask it is different than Hahli since she has an orgnaic one, made of rubber, meanwhile Gaaki would have an inorganic one, made of hard plastic that fit in a Metru head. The problem I see with using a unique design like Galva or KhingK’s masks is that it would introduce a new mask with unknow power.
Norik use Dume’s mask, I gave Photok’s mask to Pouks and Bomonga… I tried to leave it to interpreation if he has the exact same mask as Hahli Mahri or not. So I though it isn’t bad to use an old mask, speacially if it have a different color to separete it from the original.

2 Likes

Personally I like the one with the characters with their original colors

An entry curator to other entry curators, I don’t see anything wrong with the entry.

3 Likes

it also pretty decent art. (even if norik looking sideways lmao)

Someone must cover that flank

2 Likes

Kualus upper arms wrong color

2 Likes

Hush :shushing_face:

We’re waiting for every auditors vote on that… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

y’all voting? shouldn’t some things just be a “yes this breaks the rules vs no it doesn’t break the rules” tho

2 Likes

wish I signed up sooner :pensive:

4 Likes