Marendar, the Salvation of Spherus Magna

This dude’s pretty hardcore. Those pictures of the toa being killed (I especially like the first one) are icing on the cake.

The glowy form reminds me of the calamity bosses from Breath Of The Wild

1 Like

Great Job! This is the kind of stuff I DO want to see in Marendar contest. I hope you enter!

1 Like

This is AWESOME.
The trans-orange is a nice touch.

Yep I do plan on entering him into the contest when that happens.

2 Likes

Ohh I like it. The trans orange gives him quite the menacing aura

What’s the green stuff coming out of that toa?

Malware is pretty sick, fantastic build!

That’s Iruini’s element of air being drained out of him

1 Like

This is a great MOC, but, like I mentioned on Discord, I don’t think this is right for the canon contest, and the reason why is in the topic name. Marendar means “salvation”. It’s the salvation of Spherus Magna. So why is it so scary? An Agori who saw this coming over the hill would probably crap in his armor, not rejoice that he’s been saved from the Toa menace. Again, the MOC is absolutely amazing, and I can’t find a single flaw with it (okay, I don’t like that one CCBS shell poking out over its back). But I, personally, don’t feel that this MOC best represents how Marendar likely looks. Like, darn, it’d be cool if it looked like this, and the community seems to universally agree that he’s an imposing killing machine, but Agori would run screaming if this were the case. He’s “Salvation”, not “Terminator”. (The same applies to Synnova’s MOC.)

2 Likes

I can see the both sides of the argument. Marendar=salvation= heroic character. I also understand the side that says The name Savior is misleading/ironic similar how some revolvers were named as “peace maker”.

Hmmm. Someone has changed their opininion after a year. :wink:

4 Likes

Good point.
One could draw a similar comparison concerning characters like The Thing: on the outside, he may look like a rock monster, but when you get to know him, he’s actually the most caring-hearted member of the Fantastic Four; or Hulk, who the public at large (at least in the comics, anyway) perceived as a rampaging monster they had to run for their lives from, when in reality, he’s just another super-hero there to stop an even more destructive threat.

Appearances and Titles can sometimes be misleading. :wink:

5 Likes

Yyyyyyyyep.

3 Likes

??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Not at all. Quite the opposite.
This checks out everything I recently restated:

Once the Marendar contest comes around in a couple of years, each entrant should have a very clear idea of how their own Marendar functions, how he deals with the Toa, what inspired them to make it that way, etc. I wish to see entrants put a lot of thought into their creations - not just make a random mech and call it a day.

2 Likes

We name our conventional weapons in the military ironic names like Little Boy for a nuclear bomb. I think some artistic interpretation is well within our right for something that means salvation. Something that despite its meaning, is designed to do the exact opposite thing and kill

3 Likes

I would ordinarily agree with this but we don’t have precedent for that with other things the Great Beings have named. This can totally be entered, and, while I think it is a good MOC, I wouldn’t vote for it.

2 Likes

Yeah fair enough. I am excited to see both versions of Marendar if it comes down to it

1 Like

Umbra? Darkest part of the shadow is actually a good guy?

Perhaps

i love it
not as much as mine,
but a solid second

Can you tell me the head build?

Saw this on reddit a while back, but wanted to come here and give feedback to my favorite Marendar moc I’ve seen. He looks like he’s containing energy within a metallic shell. I really like the Kanohi used, and I like the idea of Toa going monochrome when killed. This looks like a believable Toa killer.

1 Like