Marendar: Who does it kill, and how do you kill it?

Yes, perfect.

3 Likes

The whole build here is fantastic, and those ribs and head are amazing. though Kopaka and Takanuva dying would be the big sad

4 Likes

I actually started, but never finished, a fanfic set in the post-2010 story, so I have an answer based off of one named Toa I planned to kill off via Marendar:

My choice was Lesovikk. In my fanfic, after the death of Karzahni and Tren Krom occur, other Toa start to be found dead because of Marendar, and the Toa Nuva believe that Lesovikk is the culprit, because the powers I gave Marendar leave no physical marks on the body, leading Tahu to speculate that Lesovikk suffocated them with his Elemental Powers. Other circumstantial evidennce implicates him, such as the fact that Pohatu and Kopaka disappeared while seeking Lesovikk out (because no one knows that they were actually transported to the Red Star), so the Nuva believe that Lesovikk is killing Toa who he believes have been sent to capture him.
This leads to them arresting Lesovikk when he returns to the new settlement.
My plan was to then have Marendar attack openly, and for Lesovikk to prove his innocence by sacrificing himself in battle with Marendar.

As for who finally takes out Marendar, I chose someone I hope would be surprising, that being Ahkmou. My plan was to have him offer to redeem himself for serving Makuta by being the one to face Marendar, and I planned on making him integral to Marendar’s defeat because Marendar was programmed to kill Toa, and I thought it would be interesting to have a simple Matoran (especially one as controversial as Ahkmou) take him down.

13 Likes

ooh that sounds cool

2 Likes

It gets killed by Hahli. It uses an attack made of multiple elements, but Hahli uses her Faxon and gains all of Marendar’s abilities and attributes, plus having more control over water than Marendar does. She kills it by overloading it with water elemental energy, to the point that it loses control over the element and destroys itself in a huge water blast.

4 Likes

My favourite out of your ideas is Helryx. It would be interesting to see her take on a more traditional Toa role, up to and including self-sacrifice.

I’m not sure about killing off Tahu and Kopaka, though. I feel like, had the story continued, Kopaka would have become a more individual character, finally striking off on his own and going on solo adventures with Pohatu.

Tahu would certainly be an interesting choice, though it would depend on the circumstances. I think he was too important and powerful of a character to kill off just to show Marendar’s power, but maybe he could die much later in the story, once Marendar has already been established and the new story arc was more developed.

Takanuva’s kind of in the same boat, especially since we know he was going to be an instrumental character in the upcoming war. But again, if it was later in the story, after he’s already done whatever he does with the war, then maybe.

My personal choice out of the Toa Nuva would be Onua. Probably while saving Lewa.

There’s a few characters that stand out as having extraordinary power that Marendar likely isn’t resistant to.

First is Tahu, with his Makuta powers. As far as we know, Marendar is still vulnerable to those powers.

My personal favourite choice, though, is Tuyet. We know she has the Toa Power of hundreds of Toa, which would likely provide some sort of advantage. The real reason I lean towards Tuyet being important, though, is for story reasons. I could see Tuyet defeating Marendar fairly early in the story (not necessarily kill, but defeat), and then using the recognition and adoration to start building this universe’s version of the Toa Empire, creating a large group of loyal Toa with her surplus of Toa Power.

Ultimately, though, my final answer to this question is that I don’t want to see Marendar defeated. Not permanently, at least. It would have been cool to see Marendar as an actual character, questioning its pre-programmed duty, just as many Toa and Matoran did throughout the story. This would also create a neat parallel between Tuyet and Marendar. Perhaps Marendar would even be the one to take down Tuyet when the time comes.

Just out of curiosity, why did you link Tuyet with the Federation Of Fear? They never actually interacted in story.

The Faxon only works on Rahi, and it can only gain their powers (not abilities).

(Unless maybe the Great Beings combined Rahi-making techniques with whatever else they used to make Marendar?)

7 Likes

Ooh I like that. It would be fittingly ironic if Marendar was the one to take down the Toa Empire.

2 Likes

That’s a good point; forget about just Tuyet, Marendar would probably be key in taking down the entire Empire. Who better to take on an army of Toa than something specifically designed to kill Toa?

Marendar wouldn’t even need to “disobey” its programming; this hypothetical Toa Empire is basically the exact scenario the Great Beings had in mind when they designed it.

3 Likes

Oh you bet I’ve thought a lot about this.

As far as what Toa should get killed off, I think it’s important that a theoretical Marendar arc has good pacing.

First, he’d kill off a known, but perhaps less important Toa character. One of the Hagah, maybe, or someone like Zaria or Krakua.

If I was running the show, it’d definitely be a controversial choice, but…

One of the Nuva has to die. Probably Onua. If not him, then Gali. But, Gali feels like too much of a linchpin to kill off so easily. Onua has a similar status to Gali in that he’s always helped keep the Nuva united and there’s basically no one on the team that dislikes him. Killing him is killing the heart of the team, and it’d be such a dramatic moment.

Plus, having Marendar kill one of the physically strongest Toa there is really sets him up as a dangerous force.

I think it’d be cool to have Marendar maybe accidentally kill one of the Glatorian as well. I honestly can’t really say who I’d choose though; Ackar, Kiina, and Gresh all feel like they have more growth to do without Mata Nui. Killing off any of the other Glatorian might just feel less impactful. Perhaps an Agori instead? Like Raanu?

As for who gets to land the killing blow, I have two choices:

1. Group effort. All the remaining Toa and Glatorian manage to work out their differences and unite together to take out Marendar as a team. Since the Toa are involved, I don’t actually think they’d kill Marendar, but maybe incapacitate or imprison him. I suspect something involving the Great Beings might be used to do this.

2. Gali kills Marendar. I’ve talked about this before on the Boards, but I’ve always wanted Gali to have a crisis of faith arc. Out of all the Toa, she’s the only one who’s used a Nova Blast and she’s come the closest to giving into rage and killing an enemy. Seeing her Toa brothers fall to Marendar (especially one of the Nuva) would push her over the edge, and after defeating Marendar, Gali would kill him in cold blood, breaking the Toa Code. From there, anything could happen.

This is just a side thought too, but one of the Turaga needs to die. Probably Vakama for maximum drama.

10 Likes

this render goes so hard. well done man

2 Likes

Can you show how to make this

Very true. They were indeed controversial choices on my end, and that’s why I chose them. It’d be on the same level as killing off members of the Justice League to raise the stakes of the threat in the plot. I do agree it would be quite a good falling action sequence instead of a rising action plot point to have them out of the picture. Because as @Pakari says…

I want some higher bloody stakes :relieved:

I love the way you think. Dark Mirror becoming part of the prime universe would’ve been one Hell of a twist in our lore, like Kuvira’s origins from the Legend of Korra Book 4.

Mainly bias, because I love Tuyet as a character. Moreover, considering Brutaka’s behavior as the leader of the FoF, his possible recruitment of Tuyet as bait and weapon would be completely in his character. The team may likely have an idea of who she is, even if they haven’t ever met, but will reluctantly welcome her into the mission out of pure necessity. That’d make the “unlikely anti-hero team of strangers” quite lovable like the Suicide Squad in a narrative sense.

This. This reminds me of the Jurassic World plot twist for the Indominus Rex, and boy would I have enjoyed this down the storyline. Hahli in the final battle one day just goes…

“Mata Nui… It… It’s part Rahi! We can win this!”

This would be quite the tragedy as well, considering the word “Marendar” means “salvation” in the Agori language. It’d be a striking plot point for the beast to turn on the people who thought it a savior, legitimately having no regard for their welfare as long as it fulfills its duty.

5 Likes

Exactly. That’d be really good.

haha yeah

ye, this would be interesting.

I was thinking that it had started life as a Rahi, was modified by Velika, and then had its mind modified by Velika to hate Toa.

The Toa I would have it kill would be Hewkii Mahri, who would very nearly kill it with a Nova Blast of Gravity from his Garai. However, he loses control of his mask and creates a gravity well so strong that only Marendar’s strength stops him from dying. Hewkii is crushed in a black hole of his own making, and either dies or becomes a Turaga, and then ceases to be a “threat” to Marendar.

Or it’s killed by the Ignika itself, as Toa Ignika. Marendar tries to consume all of Mata Nui’s power, and instead goes nuclear, as his power banks can’t even control the energy. Mata Nui is saved by Kiina, who blocks the blast with her own body and is transformed into a Toa of Water by the Toa Power being launched from the remains of Marendar. At the same time, Mata Nui is transformed into his special edition Toa Mata Nui form, and is able to stop some kind of plot by the Great Beings.

2 Likes

Would that work?

Marendar is resistant to Elemental Powers, and I’m nearly 100% sure that that includes Elemental Kanohi.

This would be a solid idea. I’ve always thought it would be cool to see the Ignika’s spirit become a true Toa (possibly with a body made by Artakha), leaving Mata Nui to hold down the fort inside the Ignika.

Wait, are you saying it would be Toa Ignika, or Mata Nui?

That’s not really how Toa Power works, though she could maybe get her powers increased by it.

Well… if Tuyet wants to build an empire, the first step would be getting rid of anyone who remembers her past crimes. This would definitely include Turaga Dume, but it wasn’t made clear if Tuyet’s crimes were ever made public to the point that the Turaga would have learned about them as Matoran. She might kill them all anyways just in case.

(Then, as a side note, perhaps Kopaka and Pohatu would eventually bring Turaga Lhikan back from the Red Star, and Tuyet would have to deal with a new threat to her credibility)

As for Vakama specifically, I’ve had my own idea for some time (assuming Tuyet doesn’t kill him immediately). We know that the Ignika can turn Turaga back into Toa, and it would be a shame to introduce that concept without using it. My idea is that Vakama gets turned back into a Toa and leads a team to recover the Vahi.

And then maybe he dies, yeah. (Before or after meeting Krakua, do you think?)

4 Likes

I was thinking that Mata Nui allows the Ignika’s AI to activate like it did in Kardas Nui, allowing it to resume that Toa form. He then keeps his spirit inside the Ignika, to help it in battle. When Marendar tries to consume the powers of the Ignika, he kills Toa Ignika, but is unable to control the amount of power he recieves when he starts trying to consume the power of Mata Nui’s spirit. This causes his elemental power storage banks to overload, and he explodes in a violent nuclear blast. Then Mata Nui absorbs much of the energy from this explosion, and uses it to build his Titan set form.
He then sets out to rescue the Toa from the Federation of Fear, or some other dangerous plot. Mata Nui is later “killed” by Tuyet, who doesn’t realize that his spirit is contained in the Ignika. She tries on the mask, believing that she can control it, and is consumed by the power she tries to summon. Her body is reformed into that of Toa Ignika at that point.

Or this happens. And Lesovikk breaks in as well and releases the rest of the Toa Cordak, who then join in the fight against Tuyet. Or, somewhat more terrifying, the Toa fix the Red Star’s teleporter with the surviving Olmak, and release all of the revived creatures into Bara Magna.

2 Likes

The problem with this is that none of the rest of the Toa Cordak are on the Red Star; they were all disintegrated, leaving nothing to revive.

There is no surviving Olmak. Brutaka’s was shattered by Teridax, and the other one wound up fused with Vezon. If there is a third Olmak out there, we don’t know about it.

That would certainly make for interesting stories in its own right, though. Just imagine the chaos of Vezon trying to return all the hopefully-cured Shadow Takanuva to their own dimensions.

There’s no reason the teleporter couldn’t be fixed some other way, though.

3 Likes

Now that would be fun…

I was thinking, though, someone uses an alternate universe Olmak to go into the Red Star, and use the Olmak as the teleporter. Also, there would be a chance, very small, that someone might be able to find most of the pieces of Brutaka’s mask, and repair it, hotwiring some parts, to create a relatively stable mask. It might not have the integrity to withstand jumping around constantly, but it could create, say, a two-way portal between the Red Star and Bara Magna, allowing for its evacuation onto the planet.
Or, as a last resort to kill Marendar, The Order causes the Red Star to crash into the surface of Bara Magna, like in @Lees_L 's Bionicle Rise Intro video. The crash kills Marendar, but causes an influx of beings who shouldn’t normally exist in this dimension, such as the Kestora and the spectral mask from the Silver City Pocket Dimension.

2 Likes

Yeah I also thought of killing this team in Bionicle rise. but I haven’t thought about how to kill Marendar yet, but the Federation of Fear is a good opinion.

What is makuta powers? Thanks

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

3 Likes