Marendar WIP - feedback would be appreciated

currently a work in progress MOC, I’ve been planning to do a different take on Marendar making him less brutish and more of a fluid/organic predator.

feedback would be appreciated.

55 Likes

This looks super sweet. I definitely prefer the smoother, “natural” look, as it fits with my personal interpretation of Marendar as being “Toa 2.0”. The head looks really cool, and is probably my favourite part. (At first I though that was a trans-orange kraata, but I see now it’s just a G2 brainstalk.)

I’m not sure what your plans are for the future, but I think it would be nice if it had some sort of weapon, whether it’s handheld or built in.

5 Likes

Very cool it’s like he’s some sort of beast.

yeah, there actually something already there for weapon connection, an axel hole where the hands can be pulled out, the it was not shown as this image is more for feedback on the base design. I’m thinking of doing 3 weapons, each handling 2 of the base elements, vacuum generators to counter fire and air and two others for the other four elements. aiming to leave the other elements untouched to encourage creativity for building your own weapons.

3 Likes

That head design is creepy.

1 Like

Oh, very nice. This is pretty close to how I imagined him to be, on the “toa killer/hunter” side of things.
Also I love the head.

1 Like

Nice! I really like this fresh, less evil take. Personally, I think I’d like if it actually had a face, but I can still see myself voting for this MOC. I’m not sure what feedback I can give, other than maybe that it needs a weapon. Great work so far!

2 Likes

The shaping and overall design of this guy looks sick. The thinner frame with the beefier forearms really helps sell the predatory look for me; reminds me a lot of @Darkraimaster99’s style.

1 Like

Oh.

Oh yes.

Absolutely awesome. The shaping on the calves is something else. One thing I might consider though is experimenting with some different colors, instead of the blue. It could end up looking like a bulked up version of Tuyet with a custom head.

Absolutely fantastic start, either way. Do you intend to enter the contest? Good luck either way.

3 Likes

Very nice very menacing. It does remind me of a Vortixx though for some reason. I love the head design. The upper legs feel a little bare to me but wouldnt want them bulked out. Maybe swap in silver since all the dark blue comes in silver to my knowledge. that might make a very interesting color scheme to.

This contest is going to be very interesting when we get to it.

2 Likes

yeah, @Darkraimaster99 is kind of one of my inspirations in MOCing

@cynic1987 I will look into alternative colours as that does seem to be a thing that is mentioned in other feedback. in regards to the upper legs, they are currently unfinished due to lack of pieces in stud.io, I probably should have mentioned that on the post.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

2 Likes

Kinda gives me Bayformer Lockdown vibes, but in the best possible way.

I am all for the more agile/fluid Marendar takes. At least ones that aren’t extremely brutish or bestial.

This hits a lot of marks I’m looking for. A full body pic and some more poses would be nice to see to get the full experience, though!

2 Likes

I love how the Marendar contest will have the highest creative freedom of them all. It won’t matter how good the MOC fits with the description as there’s none, but it will all be decided according to our personal believe of how a Toa killing machine called “Salvation” should look like. This one is one of my favorites so far. It has familiar proportions that make it look friendly to Agori and Glatorian, but at the same time, lacking a face is what makes it terrifying.

4 Likes

yes I do intend to enter the contest when it begins, but right now I am simply in the conceptual stage

2 Likes

Very cool, you dont see many marendars which such a slim body

OHHH MY, that lower arms design is so brilliant!! Maybe a breakdown?

Really liking the sleek design, the face being angular is a fascinating addition. Excited to see the completed version.

This is more a personal thing, but the feet over his hands look a tad bulky. Not sure if there are slimmer alternatives though.

Speaking of feet, I take it those are still in-progress?

I’m thinking of doing more work to this and tacking the feedback from this to improve the design, and then if people would like, posting instructions for the moc.

4 Likes