Marono (Dark Hunter 1/6)

Here’s a MOC which isn’t an existing character and doesn’t look the same as all my other creations. Marono, a Toa-sized Dark Hunter with a Samurai-inspired design. And before anyone asks, I am aware of the resemblance to Embo from The Clone Wars.

Backstory
Marono is one of six Dark Hunters (I’m still making the others) hired by Velika to help take down any threats to his rule while getting him closer to the Shadowed One. He’s cold and stoic, preferring to work alone; it’s for this reason he was chosen for the job for The Shadowed One’s amusement.

Functions
Turning the gear on his back allows his upper torso to rotate 360 degrees while his head remains still. This was done by using a turntable piece. The build also features a locking mechanism which can just be flipped down when not in use.

More Images

Show

Replicability
This MOC doesn’t use any custom parts. However, some parts will need to be painted, but only a handful. In case anyone wants to build this MOC but can’t find the right colour paint, any of the red and silver pieces are available in Mata red and flat silver respectively.

File Download
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodcoUDvzhiw5gJeuHbu5JLykaDl?e=5WgyIB
Note: uses the Biopack (credit: SwampKryakwa and Lehvak Nuva) which can be found here.

34 Likes

Doesn’t give off too much of a samurai vibe to me, but overall I like this a lot!

1 Like

Cool appearance, and neat function. Nice work!

EDIT: I also really like the head

2 Likes

I don’t mind if it doesn’t give off the samurai vibe, it wasn’t as much of a focus as designing it around the function.

The head does look a bit weird from some angles but I’m glad you like it.

1 Like

That’s a Samurai Jack design if I ever saw one. I love it!

1 Like

Looks great, though the torso is a bit tall compared to his arms. The spinning function is great.

Also, assuming this is a Stud.io render - try changing the silver parts out for metallic silver or flat silver, they’ll look a lot better.

2 Likes

I did notice that the arms might be a bit short. I chose those pieces deliberately because I thought they’d work best with the function. As for the render I’ll definitely try swapping the colours around and seeing how that looks.

EDIT: I’ve re-rendered it and it definitely looks better now

3 Likes