Matoran Ideas [Characters][Art]

Thank you.

One thing I’ve noticed in the Brickonicle story bible is that there doesn’t seem to be some sort of catalyst that can bring Izotor and Narmoto to work together apart from being on the same thing. I also think Narmoto needs some sort of reason to want to become a Turaga of Takoto beyond the mere idea of having power or a fancy title. Likewise, Izotor’s driving character arc is the loss of his father, and the pressure of having to live up to him.

So I created this character who I have tentatively named “Norio” at the time of this post. He is the father of Narmoto and once a decorated soldier of the Mangaian region. Narmoto aspired to one day be as great as his father, even more so after Norio gave his life to save his platoon from an ambush by a pack of Vako. That is the barebones description of that plot thread but I know it needs more fleshing out. How is it for a starting point?

5 Likes

I really like it.

Hmm…I dunno. Maybe it’s just me, but…I’m not sure I’m fond of the idea of two of the Toa having fathers important in their lives.

It’d probably be a contradiction in established backstory to suggest that he look up to a previous Toa though. And possibly a bit cliche.

1 Like

It was more of an idea that popped into my head when I came up with the funerary rites pitch. I thought it might be a good jumping off point to figure out how to give Tahu and Kopaka some form of common ground.

Norio/Narmoto’s father is not a Toa, nor would it make sense for Toa to be revered outside of maybe a few spiritual castes at the time the story takes place. I mostly drew him with a bulky armored look to get a feel of the character.

Maybe his father’s efforts against the Vako are what push Narmoto to drive one into Ihu years later(at least in the sense that Narmoto won’t back down against the beast) Another idea I considered was what if King Matoro sacrifices his life to save Narmoto in the conflict and Prince Izotor came too late thinking that the Mangaian killed him? Perhaps Kualus could’ve been involved in some assasination plot trying to take advantage of the chaos?

EDIT: One more thing I think needs clarifying, if there was confusion about Norio being a possible Turaga of one of the five Mangai regions, in this universe the term is a title for a ruler rather than a subset of the Matoran species. Here, I get the impression that the Turaga are governors of Mangaian city states akin to feudal Samurai lords, though with less emphasis on bloodlines and more on fighting prowess

If having the father is too much of a coincidence, it can be a his father’s brother/cousin/friend/wing-man/Boss or something along those lines. Honestly, the main idea is fine and works with any father figure.

I agree, some people require some motivation for their life choices and this is an interesting solution. It also further draws more parallels between Narmoto and the Ice dude, father figures, which will give them something to bond over with. I mean being toa is one thing but it is pretty impersonal, specially if you want them to become a team. Having something to bond over, like important father figures that influenced their lives and career choices seems like a nice way to bridge that. Specially since it makes it easier for Narmoto to understand Izotor’s pain. Also Izotor can somewhat relate to Narmoto. Otherwise their clearly polarizing personalities will make it hard for them to make peace. Also, this bonding is not strong enough as to prevent future conflict related to Narmoto causing so much death in Izotor’s kingdom.

1 Like

Since it’s Narmoto, it would make sense for the person to be his mentor. Someone would have taught him to be a warrior, even if it’s a specific teacher from an academy (if that’s where he learned). Or a master he had on the side that furthered his skills past what his peers could do from regular training.

1 Like

Why not both? Narmoto might not have had the ability to control fire before he became Tahu, so it would seem like that would put him at a disadvantage against the other recruits. Granted, I’m sure the Mangaian troops would have soldiers who rely on their weapons just as much as their element. Spears, swords, axes, etc.

While the legends of the Toa being born as Matoran with an inability to control elements might not be common knowledge, it doesn’t prevent someone from rising above their station, as was the case with Kivoda/Gali being assistant to Helryx who I recall was among the higher ranks of Naho’s society.

I like the idea of this mentor figure knowing of some of these old legends and maybe that motivates him to take a young Narmoto under his wing.

I like the idea.

If we want to spice it up maybe that person was (mis)informed by a certain someone about the Toa legends. You know someone looking for that power to free Makuta. Maybe he was working with someone and he got betrayed and assassinated as he was the only other person who knew (at that time) about Makuta and the Toa.

1 Like

My apologies; I didn’t mean to imply that I thought he was one. I was spitballing alternative ideas.

1 Like

As a kid, I always thought it would be cool if Matoran masks simply gave subdued versions of the mask powers:

Hau: Greater physical resistance to harm.
Kaukau: Larger lung capacity even by Ga-Matoran standards.
Miru: Greater leaping capacity and softer landing.
Kakama: Slightly faster running speed than average.
Pakari: Slightly stronger than even strong Po-Matoran.
Akaku: Better ability to see long distances.
Huna: Slightly more stealthy than most people.
Rau: Better reading and writing abilities than average.
Mahiki: Skill at slight of hand and good flexibility.
Komau: Slightly more persuasive than most people.
Ruru: Can see better in general than most people.
Matatu: Better control over most objects through concentration.

1 Like

Sounds like the powers that the Turaga’s noble Kanohi have

Not quite. Those allow them to use the same powers as the great masks, but these are more along the lines of slightly enhanced attributes akin to the elemental attributes that matoran have, such as Ta-Matoran only having resistance to heat and fire as opposed to being able to freely manipulate, generate, and absorb fire.

1 Like