Mojang bought out by Microsoft

Um, Mojang charged for Realms…

2 Likes

I’m not too concerned at the moment. We’ll all just have to wait and see.

True, I mean that Microsoft will charge for them in place of Mojang - other than that I don’t think much will change that will worry the average Minecraft player (Hopefully)

1 Like

That’s true. Minecraft has proven success in it’s current form, I doubt Microsoft will make any major changes that would be substantially different from how it all usually runs. I think the biggest change will be Minecraft on Windows Phones.

People are reacting like this is a big deal for PC players. I doubt they’ll change much if they’re smart.

2 Likes

But that’s just the thing: they aren’t smart. That’s what scares me.

3 Likes

Oh my god, I feel like, a piece of me is missing! ~Pyrox

I thank god, I just read up on it. Mojang will still be making Minecraft but now Mojang is part of Microsoft Studios. ~Pyrox

2 Likes

Well yeah, Mojang is still developing it. However they kinda have to power to change some things around.

I’ve honestly never really liked Mojang as a company. That is, nothing about them really stood out to me. They didn’t really have anything special (like Valve’s company culture) or something about the way they developed the game that made them the only ones worthy of handling the franchise (the way BioWare or Telltale have a signature style with their games).

They were just there. They were the guys that just happened to make Minecraft. And to be honest, I’ve been very displeased with how the Mod API was handled under them.

I feel like Microsoft paid very handsomely for a userbase, and Notch was smart enough to take advantage while he could. As long as they don’t start abusing the LPs (which they would be stupid to do, because Minecraft’s popularity is completely reliant on them) and prioritize the Mod API, then that’s all I care about.

(Note: I can’t believe some people are actually mad that Notch didn’t open source the game. Like they would actually do anything different in that situation)

(Also note: Mojang just sold for half of what Disney bought Marvel for. Half of what Marvel sold for. The rights to biggest franchise in America and one video game went for half of that. That’s pretty impressive.)

2 Likes

I can understand your comments. But would you rather have lacking Mod API, or no Mod API at all? Because that’s what I feel Microsoft will do.

Definitely a lacking Mod API. Look, making any kind of Mod API means that Minecraft as a whole gets redone and restructured to make it mod friendly and mod compatible. Now, implementing a lacking one might not get us a lot of features, but it will at least make it very easy for mods to be updated and developed, as well as a lot of mods to be used at the same time. A lacking one just means that people have to play more within the confines and limitations…and that’s kind of the draw to Minecraft in the first place.

2 Likes

Right, which is why I hope they see that it should stay. But like I said earlier, I’m not sure I trust Microsoft to make the right decisions.

I hope this results in the further development of Cliffhorse.

3 Likes

Burnie Burns made an excellent point in last week’s version of the Patch saying that Microsoft, from a business standpoint, stands to gain a lot by charging for upgrades to Minecraft. He noted that, as a parent, if he knew a $5 purchase would keep his kids entertained for at least the next month, and it was under a brand he trusted as a safe game, he would totally do it in a heartbeat and he suspected a lot of other parents would too. He also noted that Minecraft merchandising alone could be what Microsoft could harvest, and that Minecraft itself is kind of this generation’s version of Tetris.

2 Likes

Oh it’s never been a doubt in my mind that they would make money buy selling upgrades. And from the business standpoint, it makes total sense. I’m just afraid that it will change the feel of the game, and make it feel like one of those “paid DLC” games.

I don’t trust Microsoft with Minecraft, but it doesn’t really matter to me. I’m pretty much burnt out on Minecraft.

1 Like

Welp. It’s 2015

No changes what-so-ever to Minecraft, but I’m curious about the other games. No payment except for buying an account so far.

1 Like

micro transactions on the other platforms but what are you going to do?
the creators need their money