Movies that blew you away

Yeah. The last airbender movie is horrible both as an adaptation, and a stand alone film.

1 Like

Oh. I might watch a TV-edited Deadpool. I don’t watch R movies unless they’re TV edited

That was the joke :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Oh, lol

1 Like

Bridge on the River Kwai. It is just masterful.

Also Planet of the Apes, from the ‘50s.

1 Like

Who framed Rodger Rabbit when I first saw it.

To this day that is one of my favorite movies.

1 Like

Same, I remember watching “Bridge” for the first time when I was about 10 that last 15 minutes had me legitimately stressed out.

Lord of the Rings. A classic that can’t be beat.

Solo. Surprisingly good for a spinoff movie. Many fans liked to complain, but legitimately it’s excellent. Not groundbreaking, but everything you want in a good backstory.

5 Likes

I went into the Netflix original “The Ritual” late one night, and man. I loved a lot of stuff about that movie.

Oh, and “Red Dragon”, the prequel to “Silence of the Lambs” which i want to watch because i love Hannibal Lecter was so friggin good

Summer Wars. which is basically the first digimon movie but I won’t be ashamed showing it to my friend base
Seriously though. It’s really good. Animation is great. Plot is kinda simple but engages you. Character interactions are amazing too.

Ponyo. It kinda introduced me to a lot of anime as a kid.

End of Evangelion. I really like orange juice and depression. :yum:

The Emoji Movie. It blew me away with the fact it was being made.

5 Likes

Infinity War definitely blew me away this year.

3 Likes

Everyone said that :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I saw Sorry To Bother You not too long ago, knowing it’d be wacky. I underestimated exactly how wacky. I was speechless afterwards, great movie

2 Likes

The Truman Show

1 Like

. Oh man. I haven’t seen many movies, but here’s a few.

Jurassic World: I was huge into dinosaurs as a kid, so this movie blew me away. The final fight scene is one of those moments of pure hype and childlike thrills. I know many people didn’t care for this film much, but man I loved it.

Pacific Rim: I saw this one much more recently, and man…it lived up to the hype. Take what I said about Jurassic World and dial it up to eleven. Easily my favorite Hollywood movie. It’s not the greatest film, but I love it the most.

The Dissapearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: This isn’t a Stand-alone film, but rather a follow-up(?) To the Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya series, but that’s fine, as the show is pretty great in its own right, this just works as a masterpiece of a finale and interesting spin on the characters. It’s a great film.

A Silent Voice: This movie is straight feels, though not in that “OhmygoshthatsosadIdidntexpectthemtodie” sort of way, it’s believable and real, and the gorgeous visuals only make it that much better. Kyoto Animation knocked it out of the park.

The End of Evangelion: What more can I say about it? It’s the friggin End of Eva, it’s the perfect end to a spectacular series. Yeah it’s cryptic, confusing and a bit mind-rapey, but I wouldn’t want anything else from Anno and those madmen at Gainax.

As you may have noticed, most of these movies aren’t exactly the most popular or iconic films ever made, but they’re the ones that have done the most for me, and I think that’s commendable in it’s own right.

1 Like

Wonder Woman was quite good, (until the final battle) and left me wishing I’d seen it in 3D in theaters.

The first time I watched The Transformers: The Movie, I was shocked at all the deaths in the opening (plus, since I saw it in, like, 2011 at least, and didn’t realize it was set in the future at first, I was confused about it starting with ‘in the year 2005…’.)

One film that surprised me a lot was A Thief in The Night, because, even being made in the 70s by a church youth group with practically no budget, it was still a better end-times movie than Left Behind (the Nick Cage one).

Also, King Kong blew me away when I first saw in, despite the 6 inch screen.

Same deal with GI Joe: Rise of Cobra.

Journey to the Center of the Earth was the first film I saw multiple times in theaters.

Mission Impossible: Fallout. Holy cow, what a movie.

Transformers (2007). Sold me on the concept of Transformers and how cool they could be, but then again, basically all I had to go on for the franchise at the time was the Unicron Trilogy, which is pretty meh.

Captain America: The First Avenger. If you go in blind, this is one of the best movies ever. Although pretty much the only way to go in blind to this movie is if you time traveled back to 2011 to see it in theaters.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like First Avenger as a movie, but not as a Marvel movie (if that makes sense).

1 Like

I’ve known people who’ve liked rogue one like that. I understand that

3 Likes

Actually, I like Rogue One the opposite way: While it’s an extremely faulty film in many respects, it’s still by far my favorite Star Wars film (though I haven’t seen Solo yet).

1 Like