My Legend of the Bionicle (A G2 Fanfic)

Sorry, the LMBs weren’t exactly perfect, is all. Let’s remember that.

I do remember. I’m offering better.

Sorta. I kind of maybe forgot my password and can’t figure out how to retrieve it… :expressionless:

I’m quite happy here. I’ve already settled down and quickly got accustomed to this new system, I think the community’s fine and it would be a massive pain to move again. I think I’ll stick around here.

Any new readers? Anyone have anything to say?

(I might have shot myself in the foot by only adding to previous posts with editing instead of posting new posts for story updates. Ah, whatever.)

Seriously guys, your feedback is greatly appreciated and helps motivate me to write. If you have something to say about it be sure to comment it.

I like it so far.

Just as a side note, the way I update these chapters is by adding to the already existing post. Because of this, even if I HAVE updated the story: you wont necessarily be notified.

So please, if you want to follow the story, just be sure to check every now and then: just in case.

And please, leave some feedback: it really helps to motivate me to write.

As apparently it stopped me from being able to edit it, I’ll carry on the chapter here:

The compressed pellet of elemental energy was let loose from the barrel with a specially controlled discharge of elemental energy, blasting it towards its intended target. It hit the Lord right between the eyes. It was over so fast it likely felt nothing at all as it slumped over.

And then, all at once the Vonahk stopped. Not in the way that they froze in place like statues, but they just halted, incredibly confused and distressed by the sudden end to the flow of commands.

Jaller took advantage of the confusion and snatched the Vonahk-controlling mask from the limp body of their former master, putting it on himself. “Wait a minute, who says you get to wear it?” Tahu complained.
“Because the Protectors will be going back to their respective villages and you Toa already have your special masks that you need to keep wearing. I’m what’s left.” Jaller responded.
“Well… When you put it like that I guess it makes sen-” Tahu admitted.
“Everyone quiet, I think Hop’s trying to tell us something.” Onua interrupted.
“I think she can see something.” Korgot whispered.
“But what?” Gali asked in equally soft tones.
“Well, whatever it is has her spooked, so it can’t be any good.” Korgot replied.

Then, suddenly; the skeletons bursted from between the trees, toting bows, spears and swords. There were a couple dozen of them at least, and they all looked like they were ready to do some serious damage. “EVERYONE STICK TOGETHER AND HOLD STANCE!” Tahu bellowed. The group did as they were told, aside from Phantoka, who continued to snipe them from his vantage point on the tree.

“Now would be a good time to make use of that mask, I think.” Onua pointed out to Jaller. Jaller nodded, and used his new influence over them to command the Vonahk to attack their former allies.

Gale-force winds, chunks of the ground, energy bolts from the protecters, waves of fire and water and shards of ice scorched, pierced and knocked down the skeletal warriors. Those who were knocked down were too stunned to resist as the Vonahk overtook their minds by replacing their masks. Soon the entire unit had turned on itself. It was all over in a matter of minutes. Any that had not been defeated or taken over fled.

“Now, THAT was Unity.” Vizuna commented.
“Agreed.” Nilkuu added.
“Well, it seems like you guys and girl have it covered here. I think we protectors should be heading back.” Korgot observed.
“Hear! Hear!” Kivoda chimed in.
“So it’s settled. We go our separate ways.” Onua confirmed.
“What abou- Wait, he’s gone!” Tahu was about to comment on Phantoka, but in usual fashion he’d disappeared.
“That Phantoka sure is a strange one.” Lewa noted.
“Phantoka?” Pohatu queried.
“Well, we need to call him something, don’t we?” answered Lewa.
“Anyway, let’s be on our way.” Vizuna cut in, bringing the conversation back on course.
And with that, the two groups went their separate ways. The protectors back to their villages, and the Toa (and Jaller and the Rahi) on to Rano-Nui…

Chapter 4: Welcome to Rano Nui

The city stood in the mountains, strong and unbreakable. Even with the invasion of Kulta, its outer walls still held a certain grand awe. It was all made from stone of a dull grey colour, and yet it still gleamed like silver. The solid pillars of stone supporting the fortress-like structure stabbed into the obscuring, thick, practically opaque mist below. A thinner blanket of mist somewhat obscured the source of the lights that radiated outwards. It was a foreboding sight to the assembled Toa and their companions, especially considering who was now in control of it.

“So this is it, then? Rano Nui?” Tahu asked.
“The very same,” Jaller responded simply.
“It’s… Impressive.” Tahu commented.
“It’s also very well guarded,” Kopaka noted, pointing out the skeleton guards he could make out from this distance, “What’s the plan, oh great fearless leader?”
“Shut it, you, I’m thinking.” Tahu snapped.
“That’s surpri-” Kopaka began.
“Oh stop it, both of you! This bickering is pointless!” Gali cut in, “Do you have a plan, Onua?”
“I might. But it’ll be risky…” Onua answered slowly.

The skeletal captain of the Rano-Nui guard, Kerruk, squinted at the approaching figures. A number of large beings were approaching, along with several Vonahk. Upon closer inspection he noticed that the beings that were with them were under Vonahk control. Odd, why were they coming here? Something was off, though he couldn’t quite place what. He would have to be very careful with this lot.

As the group approached, the captain called out to them: “You there! What is your business here?”
“We seek audience with Lord Kulta,” One of the beings answered in a droning monotonous voice.
“Do you now? Surely if the Vonahk Lord needed anything it would simply tell Kulta with its telepathic link with him, or at least arrive personally.” The captain said skeptically.
“It’s too dangerous for the Lord to leave its lair now. We come in its place. I’m sure that Lord Kulta would be pleased to see us.”
“And why would that be?” The captain pressed on.
“Because the hosts you see before you are the Toa.”
“Oh… I see. I shall let you in at once. My apologies.” The captain spluttered.
Good thing that the captain doesn’t know about the Vonahk Lord’s death, or that story would’ve been for nothing. Jaller thought to himself.

Onua’s plan had used Jaller’s newfound control over the Vonahk to their advantage, making it look like the Toa had been captured and enslaved. And so far no one had suspected a thing. This was good. Although Jaller wondered how he, Hop and Tupeke would get into the city as well.

“That battalion haven’t reported back yet. That is not a good sign, no. Not good at all.” Kulta muttered.
“Representatives of the Vonahk Lord are here to see you, Lord Kulta.” A skeleton bowed.
“Impossible! The Vonahk Lord is dead!” Kulta snapped, “These are impostors, imprison them all!”
“Uh oh,” Jaller groaned under his breath (as well as controlling the Vonahk, the mask allows him to see and hear through the Vonahk themselves).

The “enslaved” Toa sprung into life, replacing the Vonahk with their Golden Kanohi. Tahu blasted flame in all directions, knocking the skeletons down. Pohatu and Onua launched chunks of the ground at their enemies. Gali did the best she could with what little resources she could gather. Lewa knocked down his opponents with bursts of air. And Kopaka froze them solid.

“Incompetents! Stand aside and see how your work should be done!” Kulta bellowed. He made use of his mask power of telekinesis to knock back all six of his enemies at once, all falling flat on their backs. Still using his telekinesis, he launched the loose chunks of stone onto his powerless victims until they fell unconscious. “Now, relieve them of their masks and toss them in a cell with the rest.” Kulta ordered triumphantly.
“As you wish, Lord Kulta,” The skeletons grovel.

“Ugh… My head,” Tahu groaned as he sat up, coming back to consciousness.
“Tahu’s awake!” Lewa announced to the rest of the group.
“Oh, and if you’re wondering why you feel so weak, they took our masks,” Onua added.
“Well that’s just great,” Tahu muttered, “So how’re our escape attempts going?”
“Not very well,” Onua replied gravely, “We can’t use our powers, we’re too weak to break the bars and there isn’t any loose parts of the structure or ANYTHING. We’re stuck.”

Tahu took the opportunity to look around the cell. They were all stuck in one big cell. A single torch gave what little light it could provide. The structure was made of a grey stone, solid stone. It was then that he realized that they were not alone.

Six figures, of the different elemental colors, were all together in another cell opposite them. They simply sat in their own places, looking just how Tahu felt: weak and defeated.

“Are they-?” Tahu began.
“The Turaga, yes.” Gali had anticipated his question.
“But it wont be any use to us if we don’t get out of this place,” Pohatu commented.
“Don’t worry, we’ll figure it out… Eventually.” Gali said, trying to keep the morale high.
“Why doesn’t that reassure me,” Kopaka muttered sarcastically.

Great, the Toa have been captured and I have no way in. Jaller thought to himself, There has to be something, some way, but what? Whatever the case, I’m not giving up on them, not now. For the sake of my people, I’m going to free them, or die trying. And so he stayed hidden while he tried to form a plan. No one knew he had the mask yet other than his team. Hopefully it would stay that way. Although now Kulta knew that someone allied with the Toa had it, so he’d likely try and interrogate them. Jaller had to strike before that happened, so as to have the element of surprise.

Vizuna had been in a good mood, a hopeful mood. The Toa had become much more organised already, and even now they were likely in the heart of Rano Nui taking on Kulta’s forces. But that mood started to change from the moment he saw his son, Bingzak, run up to him. He saw a look in his eyes he did not recognize, like a whole new person was hidden behind that mask, a new, older person.

“Bingzak, what’s wrong?” Vizuna questioned worriedly. The younger Matoran said nothing, and simply took his arm and rushed him back to the village. The trip up to the top seemingly took an eternity, and when they finally arrived, Vizuna was horror-struck by what he saw.

It was in ruins, some of the houses were still on fire, despite desperate attempts to put them out. Corpses were strewn about the baseplates of the houses, some with family huddled around them in mourning. Vizuna rushed over to one of the nearest soldiers, a Muna rider, to get answers. “Those skeletons, they were nothing like the Rahi we’ve faced before or even the Vonahk for that matter. They attacked in force and without mercy… We still don’t know exactly how many casualties there were.” The soldier informed.
“Where is my wife?” Vizuna asked, hoping she was alright. If anything had happened to Lozeri because he wasn’t here to stop it, he wasn’t sure if he’d ever be able to forgi-
“I’m… Sorry, sir. We did all we could, but…” The soldier trailed off and hung his head. Vizuna stood for a moment, absolutely speechless. Time just seemed to stop.

“I’m sorry I didn’t say, Papa, bu-but I couldn’t… bear to tell-” Bingzak began, before his voice broke off into a sob. Vizuna held his son close for comfort, for both the young Matoran and himself. “Where is she?” Vizuna asked again. The soldier motioned him to follow.

She lay neatly, the body obviously had been moved, with her arms folded over her chest. She already had a burial mask on, and there was a small assembly of other family members reciting the prayer of guidance to help her soul find its way to the afterlife. Vizuna and Bingzak joined their endeavor, trying to hold back more tears.

“My men, we have gathered to welcome a new brother into my personal elite. Surdus and Lacero need no introduction, but as for some who may not know: this is Orkha, in his day he was the Rano-Nui arena’s champion of fire.” Kulta announced.
Lacero’s eyes narrowed, “You…” He growled.
“Ah, didn’t get along well, then? Not too surprising, considering everything.” Kulta noted.
“Of course not! That blasted firespitter is the reason I was dead in the first place!” Lacero fumed, “Let’s see how you like it!” He lunged. His body was caught in the air by Kulta’s powers and slammed against a wall. “Everyone settle down! I don’t care whatever grudges you had in you past lives, all that matters now is that you do as I command. This is your one and only warning!”
“Fine.” Lacero grumbled.

The arena had once been a hotspot for all visitors of Rano-Nui. Matoran would gather in the thousands to watch. Each element got their own champion, each were specially chosen for their combat abilities. They were then each gifted a special mask that would increase their size and enhance them in various ways. Then the new champion was given their champion name, a title which held great importance.

Lacero, the champion of air, was gifted increased agility and an extra pair of arms to hold more weapons. Surdus, the champion of earth, was gifted immense strength and dangerous horns. Orkha, the champion of fire, was gifted resistance to pain and had spiked plating on his armour for extra close-combat damage. There were others too, of course, but they’re not relevant at the moment.

Lacero was at the top of his game, and the most respected, deadly and famous champion in years. The other tribes had to change their champions fairly regularly, but Lacero had been around longer than all the other champions at the time put together.

That all changed one day, the day that… What happened, happened. It had been a typical deathmatch, every champion on their own. Aside from the champions themselves, the area was a deadly arsenal of traps. Pitfalls, columns of flame, swinging blades, moving platforms and the like. None of that mattered to Lacero, those traps were easily dodged.

Orkha had been the newest champion, it was one of his first matches in fact. How he’d managed to do it was beyond him. What he did know was that Lacero had felt the blade run him through, and Orkha’s voice was the last sound he’d heard until he had been risen from the dead. And whether or not Kulta wanted him to, he would get his revenge.

Tahu had been taken from the Toa holding cell by two guards, cuffed and manhandled into some kind of interrogation room. The skeleton who awaited him was another of the Rano-Nui guard, so he was hardly new to giving interrogations. Tahu was shoved into a seat and bound to it too. The interrogator gave his first question: “Where is your other ally hiding?”
“Don’t know what you’re talking about.” Tahu snapped.
“Don’t play innocent with me. You must have had control of the Vonahk controlling mask to have enacted your plan, and none of you possessed it, which means there is another still out there with it.” The interrogator explained, “So, I shall ask again: Where is your ally hiding?”
“Even if I knew, I would tell you nothing!” Tahu spat.
“Very well.” The interrogator replied. Then he motioned to the guards stationed behind Tahu, “Take him outside and show him what happens to those with that kind of attitude.”

The guards were happy to oblige.

For the next few hours the other Toa and Turaga would have their ears greeted with Tahu’s screams of pain. It was going to be a long night.

They had caught him off guard, pulled him into the shadows of an alley. How could he have been so careless? He was the son of Narmoto, next in line to be the protector of fire, and he was so easily defeated? Pathetic.

A blade was firmly pressed to his throat, and a voice; the owner of the blade, spoke: “Who are you? Are you with Kulta?”
“No, no!” Jaller spluttered, taking care not to accidentally slit his own throat in the process, “I’m with the Toa, I came to rescue them!”
“Why should we believe you?” The stranger asked. The stranger was male, judging from the voice, and Matoran considering his stature. But any other details we obscured by the poor light.
“Because we took this,” Jaller produced the mask of Vonahk control for the stranger to see, “After we killed the Vonahk Lord. We used it to get the Toa in, but they were captured.”
“So we saw,” The stranger commented, releasing the blade from Jaller’s throat, “And we will help you with your endeavor.”

Tahu had stopped bothering to scream. His voice was gone anyway. The pain had practically become normal. Or maybe he was becoming numb. He was too worn out to bother figuring out which.

The surprised grunts of some of the skeletons obscured by walls and darkness alerted Tahu to the fact that some kind of escape attempt was being made.
“There they are!” One skeleton exclaimed.
“It’s those rebels, kill them!” Another, presumably some kind of guard captain, skeleton ordered.

There were the sounds of a scuffle, then silence. The door behind Tahu slammed open. Some Matoran that he did not recognize burst in and undid his binds. “Who… Who are you?” Tahu hoarsely whispered.
“Not important right now. If you want to get out alive, do exactly as we say. Understood?” One of the Matoran informed. Tahu nodded weakly. He tried his best to follow.

The group of Matoran moved on to the others. At this point Tahu just barely recognized one of the group as Jaller, not because Jaller had at all changed in appearance, but because Tahu’s vision had been horribly impaired from what he’d had to endure.

First Gali, then Lewa, Pohatu, Kopaka and then finally Onua moved single file from the holding cell. Not as quickly as they’d like, but quick enough. The assembled group broke open the box containing all their masks. Now at full strength once more, the Toa were ready to free the Turaga from their own group cell.

However, before they could do so, they were interrupted by some old enemies of theirs. The guards outside had heard the commotion, who’d then called in other guards, and those guards called in other guards… You get the picture.

“We will come back to save you, we promise!” Gali called over her shoulder as the group was forced to abandon the Turaga.
“For crying out loud, stop worrying about silly old fools like us and save that which deserves it! Save the island, its creatures and its people! They can do just fine without us now. They probably think we’re dead anyway.” Turaga Whenua replied in frustration.

With some regret, the group did not look back.

They fought their way through, puncturing a hole in the guards’ formation and taking advantage of the opening. The skeletons pursued from all sides, they were everywhere after all, and were able to surround the group with relative ease. While the Toa and Matoran did do their best to fight their way out once again, more of the skeletons would simply pour into the gaps and they’d be back where they started in the first place.

Four of the Toa: Kopaka, Onua, Lewa and Pohatu, decided that the escape of Tahu, Gali and the Matoran as well as anyone else the group may be able to save was worth more than their own freedom. They volunteered to stay behind while the others slipped into the shadows and planned their next move.

The plan worked, the two Toa and their Matoran companions escaped while their brothers stayed behind and were captured once more. This did not feel like a victory for any of the parties involved (aside from the Skull Legion of course, but then their idea of victory is rule through conquer, so what do they know?), it felt like a compromise created from a bad situation. It could’ve been worse, but it could’ve been better, much, much better…

1 Like

Continuation of Chapter 4, previously Chapter 5, merely because I can’t edit Chapter 4 anymore (as a side-note, Chapter 4 is now “Resistance is Futile” instead)

“What was that back there!? We shouldn’t have left them, we could’ve found a way! Just imagining my fellow Toa brothers being locked back up in those horrible cages while we roam free makes me seethe with rage! We have to do something!” Tahu growled in frustration.

“Tahu! Calm down, we’ll free them soon, but we just need to get our bearings first. Then we can devise a plan.” Gali soothed, or attempted to anyway.

“Before we do anything else, there is someone you ought to meet.” One of the matoran, a male Ga-matoran, spoke. The group turned another corner in the dense back alleys of the city and were greeted with a campfire. Behind it stood yet another matoran, dimly lit by the flames. Jaller recognised him at once. “E-Ekimu!?! But how?” He spluttered.

That’s Ekimu? Tahu thought to himself, I expected him to be taller.

“Our friends here helped free me, at the cost of the freedom of Axonn, however. Which is something we shall swiftly rectify.” Ekimu explained calmly. The two Toa started for a moment. They knew they recognized the name, but they did not know where from. “You mean THE Axonn!? Founder of the Rano Nui guard, its first Captain!?”

“Yes, the very same,” Ekimu chuckled at Jaller’s surprise.

“We’re going to… We’re going to free Axonn?” Jaller questioned, needing confirmation as he almost didn’t believe what was currently happening. He was being asked by Ekimu himself to free Axonn with the assistance of two Toa. This was starting to get ridiculous, and he liked it.

“Yes, we will free him, and soon.” Ekimu confirmed.

“Indeed! No doubt at this very moment those horrid skeletons are subjecting him to some form of torture, not that it’ll do them much good, of course.” Another of the matoran, this time a female Po-matoran seemingly announced to herself as much as anyone else.

“Well before any planning is done, could you do us a favor and tell us who in the fires of the accursed ‘gift mountain’ you all are?” Tahu snapped.

“Ah, yes, of course, where are our manners? I am Matai.” The Po-matoran from before piped up, “The Ga-matoran is Uira,”

“Hello!” Uira greeted, a little awkwardly.

“And the quiet Onu-matoran over there is Tangi.” Matai finished, gesturing to the girl. Tangi simply grunted in response to being mentioned. She was in a corner, masked with shadow to the point that you wouldn’t know she was there unless you were looking for her, thanks to the tell-tale signs of her glowing green eyes. She leaned against the wall, her arms folded, efficiently surveying everyone who’s own eyes were now upon her. She quickly looked away once more and said nothing.

Wow, she makes Kopaka look friendly, Gali noted to herself.

“Now that we have introductions out of the way, I think we better start planning.” Jaller pointed out, breaking the silence.

The cell was just as they left it: bland and inescapable. Still, Onua had hope. If they had been freed once, the matoran from before would surely come back for them. Now all they had to do was wait patiently and hope they didn’t lose their use to Kulta anytime soon.

“It is relatively alright to come out now, my little friend.” Onua encouraged, releasing Hop from his place in a little niche in his armor. It kept him free of damage, so Onua was glad. Now he had one more companion to keep him company in this long waiting game.

“So, any idea what has become of Tupeke?” Tahu asked to Jaller as the two had moved away from the main group to briefly discuss these concerns, “When I came to I never got any idea about what’d happened to him. Do you know?”

“I’ve had skull spiders scouring the city, I can see through their eyes, and I did find him.” Jaller answered gravely.

“He isn’t dead, is he?” Tahu asked with concern.

“No, but the truth isn’t much better either. Kulta has him by his side at all times, mainly at the throne. It’s clearly to spite us, and he’ll probably use our attachment to him against us, the sick freak.” Jaller rambled angrily.

“We’ll get him back and make Kulta pay, don’t worry. But one step at a time. Now, we should be getting back to the others.” Tahu urged.

“That place over there is where Axonn is being held by that filth Kulta,” Matai spat, pointing to a heavily guarded stairway which lead underground.
“Everybody remember to stick to the plan, no loose cannons!” Jaller ordered, taking the familiar position of leadership, “Not even a certain Toa I know…”
“Yes, yes, I get it! I’ll stick to the plan, keep your mask on!” Tahu grumbled indignantly.
“Well, here goes nothing.” Jaller muttered grimly.

Axonn’s interrogator had taken up his usual sneer that clearly presented that he held all the cards, and that this hapless prisoner did not. Obviously he had some very bad news for him. Great, might as well get it over with.

“How about we cut the pleasantries and get right to whatever bomb you want to drop this time?” Axonn grimaced.
“As you wish. Lord Kulta has decided you have simply become a liability. All this security and effort put into a prisoner who doesn’t crack. He’s given me the personal pleasure of disposing of you.” The skeleton announced triumphantly.
“Well, there’s a locker of confiscated weapons over there, take your pick.” Axonn gestured to the special container.
“Don’t think you can pull that trick on me, you’ll simply summon your axe to you and escape. No, I’ve brought my own weapon already.” The skeleton’s grin was somehow even broader than before as he unsheathed a nasty-looking knife.
“If I had my mask on right now I’d use it on you to prove to yourself how far your head is up your own waste-disposal unit.”
“Laugh it up while you can, you old fool, now I’ll have your head!” The skeleton growled.

That growl did not last very long as a powerful explosion blasted apart a chunk of the ceiling and sent the retched carcass crashing into the opposite wall in a heap. Emerging from said now open chunk was a surprisingly fairly coordinated unit, made up of four Matoran and a pair of Toa.

“Ah, my rescue team I assume?” Axonn remarked with a grin.
“We’ll make Kulta pay for this, we promise you!” Matai snarled.
“Good to see nothing much has changed.” Axonn chuckled, “I’d love to catch up but we better leave before more security arrives.”

As if on cue, skeletons were quick to come out of the woodwork and attempt to surround them, not that those attempts lasted very long. Most found out very quickly that you don’t mess with a Toa unless you want to be knocked onto your scorched behind.

Jaller summoned some Vonahk to enslave the guards and give the group a better chance of escape. Thanks to their eyes he now had 360 vision of the surrounding area. Nothing would get the drop on them now.

Then something got the drop on them.

Surprisingly, that something was Lewa. He blasted back the whole group and landed smoothly in the middle of their assorted sprawled bodies. Well, to call what currently resided in what one would loosely call Lewa’s brain Lewa was hardly accurate.

That didn’t change that they had Lewa’s combat skills and agility, unfortunately for his Toa and Matoran companions.

Something Tahu had just noticed that Lewa’s mask was not fully gold anymore. A nasty hue of glowing green dominated the forehead of the mask. That was probably not a good sign.

“Well, that’s just great: they’ve done something to Lewa!” Tahu pointed out.
“We noticed,” Jaller grunted, still picking himself up off the floor. The group didn’t have much time to recover though, as a tornado quickly yanked them off their feet once again and unceremoniously tossed them back to solid ground.

Now “Lewa” could pick them off one by one. Tahu was the first target. Big mistake. Flames erupted outwards that caught “Lewa” of guard and forced him to dive out of the way. Tahu kept throwing fire at him, keeping him moving and unable to attack back.

This left enough time for the others to come to his aid, this included Axonn; who had now had his signature weapon and mask of truth returned to him. The axe knocked “Lewa” to the floor.

The group decided this would be a good time to make a getaway. This attempt was cut short by a rumbling, roaring earthquake that knocked them off their feet. The cause of the earthquake quickly became clear - Onua was under their control too.

The team sprang back up and charged at their former ally. Onua’s hammer solidly knocked them back one after the other in a wide swinging motion. Before they could get back to their feet again, the group was struck by a terrible freezing cold that stabbed their legs.

Kopaka had frozen their legs solid, leaving them unable to move.

An evil chuckle met the ears of the assembled warriors, a chuckle they quickly discovered (but had already guessed) the source of: Kulta.
He also began to speak: “Ah, finally caught all of you! Well - most of you, anyway. And with your own allies too! And, if you were wondering, that Toa of Stone has met the same fate as well.” He called over to Pohatu, “You there, step forward!”
Sure enough, Pohatu did as he was told, to the horror of his allies.

“Yes, you and your silly little ‘Great Kanohi masks of power’ have given me quite the run for my money. All that elemental energy seems to shield you from my influence. But, with a little tweaking, you too shall obey my commands.” Kulta boasted, “And you, pathetic ‘resistance fighters’, I see Ekimu at gave you your own little mind shields too. They may be trickier to break but it’s certainly doable. Take them away.”

“I don’t think so!” A familiar voice called from a high up place, the rooftop of an abandoned building. Everyone spun around to meet the source of the exclamation - none other than Phantoka.

The nimble lime-green warrior fired his weapon at the assembled foes, deliberately using incapacitating (and non-lethal) rounds to take out the Toa. “Why you…!” Kulta spluttered, and then barked a command at Pohatu, “You there! Knock the little pest from his perch before we lose our captives!”

Onua dropped like a pillar as a shot hit him square between the eyes.

Pohatu grimly nodded and stamped his foot into the ground, causing a sizable chunk of rock to launch into the air. It was smashed towards its target thanks to an expertly aimed roundhouse kick.

Phantoka managed to take out Kopaka before he had to dodge out of the way of the projectile, only to have to leap to the other side as another chunk of stone rocketed toward him. He rolled, trying his best not to fall as smaller high speed pebbles punctured holes in the structure behind him and were catching up fast.

Gritting his teeth, he sailed through the sky with Olympic precision towards his next vantage point. He never met his mark. Kulta had activated his Gravity mask power and slammed him into the ground, practically knocking him out.

During all the chaos, the Toa and the resistance members had broken free (no thanks to Tahu’s fire powers) managed to knock down Lewa, with their combined numbers and his distraction. However, Pohatu had now turned his attention back to them and had them trapped in stone bindings.

Vision had blurred beyond the ability to distinguish much for Phantoka. He could vaguely make out some moving shapes which he knew to be his allies and enemies. With a grimace, he pulled himself up onto one knee, wobbling a little.

Kulta’s pitiless chuckle proved that Phantoka’s efforts were intimidating no-one. “My mask did quite a number on you, didn’t it? I must say, it’s certainly my favorite to use in battle out of the masks I’ve acquired so far. Maybe it’s something to do with the fact that it’s a Great Kanohi and not a Noble one? A little strange for a mere Turaga to posses a mask of such power. No matter, it’s mine now.”
“That mask… Is not yours… Thief!” Phantoka growled, which was difficult considering he felt like he’d been flattened by a building.
“Maybe so, but calling Lord Kulta a mere thief is an insult punishable by public flogging, but that would be far too merciful for a treasonous slime such as yourself. Capital punishment would be more fitting.” The self-proclaimed “Lord” grinned.
“You speak like a mad king, but are simply mad! You’re not a lord, you’re a tyrant.” The green warrior spat. Kulta snapped, all the sadistic joy leaving his cold dead eyes. He roared and rammed the Toa into the ground with his bare hands, shoving him further and further into the ground, crushing him.
“You can kill me if you wish, but you won’t change the truth.” Phantoka wheezed, a choked laugh escaping him. Kulta’s rage was consuming him to the point that he didn’t notice Phantoka putting his bladed weapon to the madman’s chest.

Not until he fired, anyway.

The force blasted him flat onto his back, flopping to the floor like a fish out of water. The skeletal lord growled. “Why that pathetic little-” He never finished his sentence, as his foe had disappeared. “Coward,” Kulta muttered. He got his bearings, to find his captives had escaped the grasp of his Toa minions.

“YOU IDIOTS! YOU IMBECILES!” He bellowed, “HOW COULD YOU LET THEM ESCAPE? Oh well, I probably should have been paying more attention. Spread out and find them, they can’t have gone far!”

The Toa who had been taken out by Phantoka began to shakily get to their feet, and continued to do their new master’s bidding.

Escaping had been relatively simple, as Axonn’s axe had not been bound with him, creating an advantage their foe had not foreseen. Once Pohatu’s focus was broken, the bindings were quickly shattered and the resistance team far ahead before the hapless Toa of Stone got over the shock of the impact.

The team had now assembled in a new place, as they had to keep moving to avoid being found out by Kulta’s men. A meeting was being held. Both Toa, all five of the Matoran, and Axonn were present.

“This mission has brought a great fortune, we have finally reclaimed Axonn, who’ll be instrumental in the downfall of our tyrant enemy!” Ekimu announced, bringing murmurs of agreement from the other members before he continued, “However, it has also revealed a great misfortune: four of our six Toa allies have fallen prey to Kulta’s control. This is a detriment to out efforts to be sure, but we must not despair. If we captured them, I would be able to reverse the effects on the masks to give them free will once more…”

Vizuna was standing alone. He’d been doing that a lot recently. But someone had now come to keep him company. A twig snapped, and so did the Protector as he whipped around snarled at the newcomer, “I said that I was not to be distur-”
He stopped in surprise when he realized the person he was lashing out at was his own son. He shifted awkwardly and cleared his throat before apologizing: “Sorry Bingzak, I… I just haven’t felt the same since… Since your mother…” The lump in his throat stopped him from finishing the sentence.
“I know Papa, it’s okay. I miss her too.” Bingzak replied sympathetically.
“I promise you, we will find that Piraka who did this and have his filth cast off the face of our island.” Vizuna growled. Another Matoran cleared his throat behind him. Father and son turned in unison to meet the noise.
“Protector Narmoto has come to see you,” He announced…

2 Likes

Yay, I’m caught up!

Good!

I’ll take this moment again to take advantage of your attention and point out that reviews are good motivators and fuel me to keep writing and write better. Just by default they help, it would only be a brief moment of your time but would make all the difference.

Hmm… what to say?

Neither a pro nor a con, but you have a rather succinct writing style. At times it can be a bit too much; especially in fight scenes, it would be cool to be a bit more descriptive and drawn out. I’ve noticed it especially in the more recent chapters, where you sort of describe what happened instead of really showing it to us as the readers.

I do like a lot of your dialogue and character interactions; it tends to be very witty and fun.

I guess at this point I’m starting to get sick of making little to no progress with the story and just subconsciously want to speed things along.

I’ll try my best to make improvements to the existing material so it has a little more flair to it where I see fit.

Honestly I never really know what to do with fight scenes, I just don’t know how brief or drawn out every part should be. It’s definitely an area where I want to improve considerably.

Sometimes I feel like I milk the dialogue a little, personally.

1 Like

Chapter 5: The Fallen Champion

“In other, better news,” Ekimu began, the meeting still in full swing, “We have found the place to strike next. Jaller has made use of our Vonahk scouts to search for the location of Kulta’s lieutenants. One of them, former Champion of Air: Lacero, is currently skulking around the Rano-Nui arena. He seems to frequent this spot often, which is understandable. He has a small squad of troops patrolling the area, so we’ll need to send in a few of us. We shall have a vote on who shall go, but for those who do - beware. Lacero was the champion of air for so long for a reason. He’ll know that Arena inside-out…”

Standing alone in the clearing, Narmoto waited patiently. Vizuna slowly approached. He coughed lightly to catch the fire protector’s attention.
“I was told you wished to speak with me.” Vizuna explained.
“That is correct.” Narmoto confirmed.
“Look, if you’ve come here to feel sorry for me-” Vizuna began with frustration in his tone.
“That is not why I seek your council, no.” Narmoto cut in, “It is a rather different problem. Unexplained… Things have been appearing around our village. We simply took it as our imagination or a trick of the light or something at first, but the sightings have become more frequent. You are the closest I have to a true friend among the protectors, so I thought I would confide in you first. Holding a meeting with the others might start a panic, and I just wanted you and me to look into this for now.”
“What kind of things…?” Vizuna inquired, intrigued.
“I know you wont believe me, but: things like the Okubi of the pits of Umgodi, things of myth.” Narmoto explained, “They’re sighted skulking around, and then when the Matoran head over to investigate, the creatures melt back into the ground. There’s not been any attacks yet, but I don’t want to wait for one. Have you been having any incidents like this?”
Vizuna began with: “Well, not exactly, but…”

The vote was cast, with Tahu, Gali and Jaller being chosen. The three were at least somewhat experienced with working together, and Tahu and Gali being some of the strongest that they had. Still, Axonn would be useful to tag along, but it was decided he’d be better off recovering (and anyway, he might be needed for another assignment later on).

“So back out into the fray we go.” Jaller sighed.
“Scared?” Tahu teased.
“I’m the first and only son of the protector of Fire, I don’t fear the glory of battle.” Jaller retorted hotly.
“Let’s just focus on the mission, okay? Take out this lieutenant to be one step closer to freeing our brothers and the Turaga, and stopping Kulta.” Gali suggested.
“It was just a joke.” Tahu grumbled.

He was alone, well, mostly alone. He pondered what came next. Lacero knew he owed a debt to Kulta from bringing him back to life, and even then, he feared Kulta’s power too. But what would happen to him when Kulta got his way? He… Didn’t have an answer.

What he did know is that whatever the cost, that Fire champion would get what’s coming to him. He shall know the wrath of Lacero.

One of his guard-troops ran up to him, in an obvious urgency. “Lieutenant Lacero, the two Toa and an aiding Matoran have been sighted attempting to enter the Arena, be on guard.”
“Understood,” Lacero replied with his grating voice, like a blade being sharpened. He switched into a standing battle stance from his contemplating squat, weapons at the ready. “The Toa have come for me, eh? I’ll give them the fight of their lives…” He grinned.

“…When Lewa and I were searching for his Golden Kanohi, we encountered a pack of Marukada.” Vizuna continued.
“What? But that’s impossible!” Narmoto spluttered.
“I know, I know. I thought it was quite strange myself, but I had not time to reflect on it until now. There may be a link here. Do you think this trickery may be the work of Kulta?” Vizuna suggested.
“Hmm… Maybe. This might require some looking into before we reveal this to the others, though. It might be less of a problem than we think.” Narmoto decided.
“Very well. We shall meet again soon. We should definitely return to our villages. We’ve been leaving too much to our second in commands to deal with these past few weeks, I fear.” Vizuna responded.
“Vizuna, even if you were there, you can’t have possibly-” Narmoto tried to begin.
“At least I might have kept my wife from falling by the hand of that monster!” Vizuna raged, “At least she might have had a chance, at least all those who died might have had a chance! We are protectors! We’re supposed to protect! Who did I protect that day!? Some mystical magical star person with superpowers, when I could have been protecting my family, and the families of everyone I know and love!”
“Vizuna, please don’t do this to yourself. It’s not your fau-” Narmoto pleaded with his friend.
“Yes it is my fault! The negligence of my Duty is what killed that many people that day! I left them to die, for that foretold hero! He speaks like a child would, acts like a child would! He’s supposed to save us? Give me a break.” Vizuna spat, and stalked back off to his village, leaving Narmoto to stand there and look on in horror at the person his friend had become.

Skeletons don’t make for particularly good soldiers considering how easily they can fall apart, something clearly evidenced by how easily the two Toa and a Matoran could take out all twelve of the warriors assembled to guard the way into the arena. Gali had struck down two with her trident, Tahu had gotten three with a single sword swing and a further four with a violent blast of fire, and Jaller had snuck up behind the last three while they were busy being terrified of their vastly superior foes.

As they charged into the main part of the Coliseum, they just saw the end of an apparent messenger alerting him of their attack, as the four-armed combatant prepared himself for combat.
“How did one get through? We took them all!” Tahu hissed.
“Clearly we were spotted by a guard who didn’t want to try their luck,” Jaller responded.
“Well, this does complicate things a little. Still, it’s three against one.” Gali observed.
“Are you kidding? That’s Lacero! He’s one of the most skilled, cunning, ruthless combatants this arena has ever seen! Some would consider it an honour to simply be in his presence.” Jaller snapped.
“And we’re the mighty fated heroes who fell from the sky, I think we’re more than evenly matched.” Tahu remarked.

Axonn had been pulled to the side by Ekimu seemingly out of nowhere, but the reason for the discussion became clear after not too long.

“We need to end this madness as soon as possible, it’s gotten out of hand as it is! My brother and I were hand-picked to keep this land and its people safe! To benevolently oversee, not deliberately snatch up the island by force as a dictator!” Ekimu hissed.
“I understand your concerns, Great Ekimu, but I have fought beside these Toa before. They are more than a force to be reckoned with. In their glory days they were the most powerful Toa of all, their skills and Unity unmatched by any other Toa team. They will save this island and its people from your brother’s treachery.” Axonn assured in a hushed voice.
“Makuta, or should I say Lord Kulta, has made a mockery of the Great Beings and all we stood for! We were given Matoran bodies to be as equals, and he has taken his title to heart. Great Beings, indeed! I knew we were doomed from the moment we took that grandiose title.” Ekimu spat.
“I suppose it’s just as well that the Makuta race that caused me and my fellows so much trouble was named after him.” Axonn noted grimly.

“We’re going to die. We’re actually going to die. We’re going to die from the blades of an actual legend reborn as a skeleton! This can’t be happening, this isn’t happen-” Jaller muttered incoherently.
“Oh will you shut up!” Tahu growled, “Right: charge!”

The three charged at once towards the gladiator, not giving any effort towards stealth now that their position was known. The two Toa preferred it this way anyway. All that sneaking around just felt… Wrong. Wrong in a way they couldn’t quite place.

Lacero instantly whipped around to face them, weapons poised. He lashed out with a weapon that could only be referred to as a pair of claws on the end of a chain. The aim was true, the claws clamping around one of Tahu’s large swords. Lacero ripped the blade from his grip in a single motion, letting it clatter to the ground at his feet.

Tahu switched to a two-handed grip on his remaining primary sword, intending to cause whatever damage possible with it. The blade whistled through the air with some broad strokes, conjuring flames as it went which rocketed towards their target.

Lacero easily leapt out of the way.

He scurried towards the nearest wall where an arrangement of primitive buttons could be found. He slammed his fist into them all, activating special mechanisms in the arena.

Sections of the floor began to rise and fall seemingly at random, quickly knocking the three off of their feet. Jaller recovered soon, though, and was launching himself from platform to platform, going against all instinct to attack the skeleton.

With a grin of malice, the skeletal warrior nimbly vaulted across the gaps to meet him, intending wholeheartedly to end this fight as soon as possible.

Columns of flame started erupting from the walls and floors, deadly bladed pendulums swung back and forth from the ceiling, some of the platforms started dropping into an abyss enveloped in darkness below and pellets of elemental energy like the rounds in the weapons of the protectors started firing from the walls as well.

Jaller did his best to take it in his stride, Lacero easily did so (almost instinctively) while Tahu and Gali struggled to stay out of everything’s way. The two Toa could barely stay on their feet as they tried to stay alive from the sudden eruption of traps.

Lacero erupted into a shrill cackle as he leapt from platform to platform, closing in rapidly. Jaller started to second guess himself, ducking under the swing of another swinging blade, but knew it was too late to stop now. The two met in the middle, on a larger raised podium.

“Now is your time to die, little Matoran!” The four-armed Gladiator growled as he started slicing his three blades in a flurry towards Jaller. He was dodging and parrying the attacks, but was being slowly pushed towards the edge of the place they were standing. Suddenly his assailant lashed his whip forward and swept his legs from under him, sending the Matoran plummeting to what could’ve been his doom.

He stabbed a hole into the side of the platform with his own blade, clinging on for dear life.

The two Toa had regained their footing enough to notice the confrontation, and rushed towards them, doing their best to avoid the traps. Tahu suddenly had a thought: the flames! He could harness them himself with his elemental powers! Focusing on the erupting bursts of fire he summoned forth his power, sending all the blazing fury towards Lacero, catching him off guard.

“What is happening!? Nooo!!” He screeched in fury, trying to avoid the attack but to no avail, knocked clean off of his feet and sent plummeting to the ground, hitting another podium. Scorched, stunned, it did not matter. He was a skeleton, already dead, he recovered quickly.

Before then however the Toa and their Matoran companion were able to regroup at the central podium, the highest ground in the arena. “Quite the oversight, giving readily available material to a Toa of Fire!” Tahu bellowed.
“Maybe your common sense rotted away while you were in the ground somewhat?” Jaller taunted.
“You dare make a mockery of me!? I’ll destroy you!” Lacero screamed.

Just then, reinforcements arrived. More skeleton warriors started seemingly stepping into existence through the multiple entrances into the stands of the arena, perfect vantage points for shooting. And among them arrived a rather familiar figure: none other than Onua, still under Kulta’s influence.

Tahu, Gali and Jaller all made little effort in avoiding and dealing with the attacking skeletal warriors. Tahu produced a shield with his Kanohi Hau to deflect the blasts, and the two Toa used that which was available to them to dispose of them from afar with their elemental powers. Flame roared towards the skeletal bowmen, incapacitating and sometimes shattering them. Small spheres of water also took some down, falling to the ground in a heap.

Lacero attempted to enact his wrath upon his foes, but in his blind rage was sent tumbling and shrieking into the abyss from the still moving traps on the lower level of the arena.

“Onua’s here. This is not good. What are we supposed to do, he is our brother! We cannot fight!” Gali exclaimed.
“If he is going through anything that’s like being under the influence of a skull spider, he’s still there, just not in control. Like someone else is in control of your body and you’re simply along for the ride!” Tahu growled, knocking down a few more skeletons with scorching heat.
“Makuta made it seem that our Golden Kanohi prevent his influence, so removing his mask shall do nothing! So what do we do?” Gali urged.

No one ever responded, as at that moment Onua launched himself onto the elevated ground with them, charging towards them. An almost animalistic look was in his eyes, which aside from the obvious glowing purple tint to the top of his golden mask showed he was not himself anymore. He roared and brought his hammer down on the shield, Tahu managing to hold it still.

Onua kept battering it though, cracks started to appear in the glowing projection. “I can’t hold this forever! We must do something!” Tahu hollered. Without warning Jaller charged at the hulking black-clad figure with a battle cry.

“Jaller, no!” Gali yelled. The Matoran latched onto the front of the attacker, not letting go despite their best efforts. He managed to distract him long enough to have Tahu blast Onua in the back with a burst of flame, knocking him to the floor.

In a fit of rage the Toa of Earth threw Jaller off of him, getting him back to his feet, and slamming his hammer into the ground. Cracks snaked their way across the whole arena with a dangerous rumbling that echoed back and forth across the walls. Everything began to shake violently: Onua had started an earthquake!

The arena crumbled in on itself, crushing several of the skeletons or knocking them down into the yawning pit below. The higher platform that the three Toa and Jaller were assembled on even snapped in two, sending the whole group plummeting into the darkness as well.

The rumbling soon stopped, the dust settled, and all that remained of the once great arena was a giant dark void where it had once been.

Once it felt like the movement had stopped and he wasn’t dead, Jaller opened his eyes again. The light was very dim down here, and the vague outlines of massive chunks of rubble could be seen strewn out into the distance. This was when Jaller grunted in pain as feeling came back to him, “Ughhh… Everything hurts. Actually how the heck am I not dead?”

He looked down. He saw Onua’s face looking back up at him.

Screaming, he scrambled off and made it back a safe distance. “Hold on a second, Onua was never THIS big…” Jaller observed.

The large figure picked itself up, looking around. Then it spoke.

Strangely, its voice sounded like Tahu, Gali and Onua were all speaking as one voice: “W-what? I feel strange. Like I’m both one being and three separate beings at once.”
“Who are you?” Jaller inquired, incredibly confused as to what he was witnessing.
“I… I think my name is Tiaki.” It said.
“Wait… You mean you’re a Toa Kaita!?” Jaller yelled.
“A Kaita?” Tiaki perked up, “That sounds right…”
“Yeah!” Jaller continued “You’re a fusion of three Toa: Tahu, Gali and Onua. Together you create an entirely new consciousness with the abilities of all three components. Legend spoke of you as one of them, Kaita of protection. The Unity of Fire, Water and Earth. But how did-? Unless the fall triggered it?”
“Yes. Their memories seem to be indicating this. Strange. This feeling seems somehow familiar…” Tiaki trailed off, “But that doesn’t matter now. We have to find a way out of here!”
“Well it seems like we’re not the only ones who survived the fall, look!” Jaller pointed to an advancing group of Skull Warriors, weapons brandished.
“Then let them feel the power of the Toa Kaita of Protection!” The giant roared, slamming the strange composite weapon of all three Toa into the ground, sending cracks lit with magma snaking towards his foes, with some opening up just below the warriors.

Many of the skeletons were knocked off their feet into the lava, some burned badly. Shots from their bows began firing, but a shield was created by the Kaita to block them. At that moment a familiar voice called out at the two.

“I’m not finished with you yet!” Lacero screeched, leaping at the towering figure. Tiaki could only laugh as he easily batted the enemy away, crumpling in a heap on the floor, apparently knocked out.

“I think we should be going now, don’t you?” Tiaki suggested.
“Gladly!” Jaller replied. The Kaita held out his large palm to the Matoran.
“Hop on!” The matoran happily obliged.

With that, the two were borne up to the surface on a quickly rising tower of earth, leaving the skeletons far behind them.

Leaping to the other side and escaping back into the city was little effort for the Kaita. In the light, Jaller could now see indeed that the hulking figure was made up of various parts of the three Toa. Armour of red, black, blue, gold and more blended together.

Setting Jaller back down again, a new question was on the giant’s lips, “Now how do I change back?”

Info for the writer’s (my) benefit (don’t read the spoilers if you don’t want spoilers, duh): The Toa and the resistance then slowly but surely defeat Kulta’s lieutenants and free their comrades (with occasional help and hints from Phantoka) The audience also learns more about the skull legion’s past through flashbacks, including some conflict between Lacero (Skull Slicer) and Orkha (a Skull Villain concept that was ultimately never released) who have a bit of a rivalry, to say the least (Orkha kinda killed Lacero in the Arena, well, I say kinda: he DID kill him).
In the background of all this other stuff, the protectors also discover the antics of a “Dreamcatcher” sort of villain (and beat him too, duh). He’s the dude who stole Kopaka’s mask and also made those Marukada and nightmare water monsters appear (and subsequently disappear). Basically, he can enter the worst nightmares of his victims and make them become a reality (thanks to his special mask) however, it takes a serious amount of concentration and energy to make the illusions he was creating possible, so he can’t hold them for long.

1 Like