My Take On TTV's G3 Pitch [Worldbuilding] [Pitch] [Characters]

G2 may have had similarities, sure, but it doesn’t matter. G2 lasted a year and a half. Do you really want to do what G2 did?

And even if it lasted the full 3, just because G2 did something isn’t a good reason or excuse to do something.

But you still have the issue of two different methods. Why would the Great Spirit pick those 6? Why not just pick 12, or more?

But that is boring. If you want to restart BIONICLE, there is no reason not to try new things. Trust me, I loved the mask hunt in 2001. But I’m not sure I’d want to see it again for the third time.

Island hopping was disposed very early on. And for us, we’re not moving off the first island for at least three years. The idea is to build the world by going there and being present. We were given descriptions of the villages in G2, but did we really go there? Can you draw one from memory? Name a cool fact about them without BS01? The world was described, but it was not built well at all.

It doesn’t seem like you understand how big a continent really is. That’s all of Europe, North America, Australia. Those places are huge. You have to consider travel time between villages, climates, atmospheres, and so on.

Also, that’s a really lazy perspective on visual design. I want these places to look outstanding, not boring open plains.

Additionally, another core aspect of BIONICLE? A tribal atmosphere, not a city one.

Never said it wasn’t intentional, just that it was bad. Very bad, actually. You can not do that ■■■■■ properly in one year. That was a major issue with the Ignition Trilogy. It is not a good idea if you want people to get invested in your world, because you set it up in year one and then throw that out in year 2. That’s terrible storytelling.

I must stress again how big a continent is. How long of a time span is this over? A year? Two years? Do they fly, walk, vehicles? And are there no survivors that warn other cities? Do they not see them coming, given that they are advanced cities, which would then alert the large amount of Toa and allow them to combat this new threat?

They introduced 12 characters which were archetypes and nothing more. Only 1 out of 12 continued to appear afterwards with any meaningful character development. They were not developed at all and were used as plot devices. So you’ll either introduce 20 Toa that serve little to no purpose since they aren’t defending their cities, or you’ll focus on them and dilute focus between everything. It is a lose lose either way. You only need six.

I don’t believe that’s true at all. I think I can know of G1 yet still understand you need an outside audience, because you’ll need to be concerned with keeping their attention for the sake of longevity.

1 Like

A reboot, by definition, is telling an old story a new way. To completely scrap all of the previous story and make a completely new one is not a reboot, it may as well be a completely different theme.

It’s a cultural difference, a difference in the way the inhabitants ask the Great Spirit for help, on Mata Nui they ask the Great Spirit to reveal his heros to them that they may rise up and defend them, on Okoto they ask the Great Spirit to give them the power to defend themselves. In one case the Great Spirit chooses Toa, in the other he gives the Toa Stones so that they can become Toa themselves. Having Two different ways of becoming a Toa is not a problem, in G1 there were at least three different ways I can remember.

Interesting that you say we need to try new things but viscerally oppose any of the suggestions I’ve made.

You guys never actually disposed of the idea, you moved on to another topic without cementing anything like you did with many other topics at the beginning of the discussion. You have only recently began cementing ideas that will be part of TTV Canon.

G2 is a terrible example, it lacked any sort of actual worldbuilding and failed to show us the world in any meaningful way, even a world as rich as Midfle Earth would have been bland if shown in the way of G2.

Yes, I do understand how big a continent is, they also come in smaller sizes, such as Australia.

You do realize that the Earth Kingdom in Avatar is a continent don’t you? And what did we see of that? Two major cities and some villages. You don’t have to design the entire continent in order to impart the atmosphere.

I think you have misunderstood what I mean by city, we aren’t talking about Metru Nui here, this place is in the bronze age. I’m looking at a Greek/Roman feel here, and while yes that is not a tribal atmosphere, it is something that has been explored on the podcast by Jon when you were talking about environments, and it has a fair amount of support.

Just because something has been done badly doesn’t mean that it can’t be done well, much like romance is only bad when writen badly, the same can be said for location changes.

Once again drawing from Avatar, they are in a new village practically every episode, and are in a new nation every season. Each nation varies wildly from the next, not to meantion all of the variance from village to village. Avatar is largely seen as a great example of storytelling and does exactly what you say is the hallmark of horrible storytelling. It’s only bad if it’s done badly.

Does it matter? This happened before the Toa Mata ever got there, and once they did time has already been stopped.

I think you have misunderstood, the Vahi’s Sanctuaries are not in the cities, they are out in the wild. The Rahkshi are not attacking cities, they collect the fragments of the Vahi before the Toa even know that they exist.

These are not advanced cities, they’re in the bronze age, honestly they’re not that much more advanced than Mata Nui.

I’d argue a large number of them underwent character development during that arc as they learned to put aside their differences and work together.

I mean, for the second year the Okotian Toa basically are plot devises, they spend the first half of the year frozen and then exist only to help the Toa Mata defeat the Rahkshi. They wouldn’t really get much of the spotlight until the year three when they’re holding off the Bohrok swarms, and even then they aren’t in the spotlight, they’re mearly a subplot, like any group of side characters holding off an army while the main characters do the boss fight.

I’m not saying we don’t need and outside audience, I’m saying you cannot give the opinion of someone who has never seen Bionicle because you have seen Bionicle.

2 Likes