Nai, Jungle defender

Doesnt really look that way when your inside of the editor, perhaps its just the zoom? in the new version all that i added were some things i were still questioning in the last update, there isnt any Bone updates and there might not be until somebody has a REAL problem with the bone design then i will update the bones.

No itā€™s not just the editor. Look at the figure from the side - thereā€™s no depth for the size.

On what parts exactly? Hmm?? the only really thin part i see is the bottom legs.

Thatā€™s not how this game works.

Iā€™m not going to waste my time building something in a three dimensional program I dislike immensely. But thatā€™s irrelevant.

Instead Iā€™ll take the time to explain in brutal detail exactly what I mean. Through pictures.

Take the first picture of your last update.
http://board.ttvchannel.com/uploads/db5640/original/3X/4/d/4d5657f865bd2115428dcd2a43b1081a90b111bd.png
Look at the legs.

Notice how they are one unit wide? Thatā€™s the flattest possible design when using Technic in any logical way.

Now look at the front.

Why are the legs so long? Thereā€™s no reason to have so many liftarm junctions. The only reason theyā€™re that long is for the sake of size.

Now, letā€™s take two MOCs from people I consider quite advanced in designs, and then a third from my own collection.

First is credit to BoltTron. Youā€™ve probably heard of or seen his MOCs.
Imgur
This is his most recent design. I consider it to be his best MOC to date.

Letā€™s look at the legs.
Rounded.
Three dimensional.
Well sculpted legs.
On a MOC I can reasonably assume to be of similar size to your own.

Iā€™m not saying to straight out copy these, to be clear. Iā€™m simply stating that they are of high caliber design, and using them as an example here.

Next example is credit to Psithur.
Imgur
Now hereā€™s some armoring. It makes use of a wide variety of pieces from a wide variety of times to create a cohesive design that is bulky, satisfying, and clean. Make no mistake, there are issues to be found with this, but when it was first posted it quite impressed me.

In fact, Iā€™m pretty certain those arms are non-custom, and yet still fit in with the rest of the MOC. Beautiful work.

One last example, from my own collection.

Heā€™s a pretty old one from sometime last year. Heā€™s my Self-MOC, and has since been revamped into a form Iā€™m far more proud of. Unfortunately the new form uses non-custom legs, which while highly effective, are irrelevant to this point of discussion.

http://i.imgur.com/henUCE5.jpg

This is Entropy MK0, the last product of my old style, and the ultimate culmination of a year of work.

The important part here, as in the last examples, is the leg design. Itā€™s tiny, if you canā€™t tell, and even when fully stood up Entropy never reached higher than an Inikabuild. And yet itā€™s still detailed, compact, three dimensional and effective. Even retained articulation.

I suppose the final point of the examples Iā€™ve given is that building a MOC isnā€™t just a matter of placing parts together so they vaguely resemble a humanoid. Lateral thinking is pretty important. Spacial reasoning is almost required. Problem-solving skills are imperative.

And yet all of these utterly pale in comparison to the ability to make friends who are still willing to give you critique, and being able to accept and implement it.

Please just stop taking honest critique as an attack on you as a person. Believe me it couldnā€™t be further from the truth.

3 Likes

While your comparing LDD figures to Real Life is a stretch, I still agree. The flat beams doesnā€™t work on this from the overall aesthetics.

Thereā€™s no lack of comparison between them. The LDD design would still have the same flaws as a real MOC if it were built physically.

Actually some of the best MOCs Iā€™ve seen have been done in LDD.

1 Like

LDD is hard to use, but infinite parts are great

1 Like