Official RPG How-To Topic: Writing, GMing, and More (or Less)

I’d like to proofread it first (and also would prefer you offered a couple more essays on other topics) but by all means. Having two or more experienced voices here would be better than one.

Sad LEGO Bob noises I crie everytiem

8 Likes

That filthy traitor deserves to be sad.

1 Like

Good to see this finally getting addressed. I think allowing others to contribute moderated articles would be good.

Maybe I’ll learn some things so I can actually join a rpg with self confidence :pensive:

3 Likes

Ooh, I will bee watching this closely, now if only i had an rpg to practice my newfound skills in :upside_down_face:.

2 Likes

A topic like this has honestly been sorely missing from the community for a looooong time. To the point where I considered writing it myself back in the day.

I know I already PM’d you @Ghid but I just realized the way I was gonna do it before won’t actually work, SO.

Lemme know if you’re going to need more than 2 posts per header and how many headers you plan to have and I’ll make sure this guide is facilitated properly

7 Likes

we assure you it was inadvertent

2 Likes

Poor Kyle, first it was Catra, and now it’s Ghid. That poor dude just can’t get a break!

All jokes aside this is a cool topic. I don’t have any questions yet, but keep up the good work

3 Likes

Kyle! Learn to put paragraph breaks!

3 Likes

He can’t put paragraph breaks if his heart breaks first

3 Likes

you, my friend, are a being of culture

Interesting stuff; I’ll have to check in as you update it.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying with not doing simple actions… But is it truly important to give so much focus on merely sitting down? Sometimes being simple can be the best way to get an action across.

6 Likes

I agree with Cronk, to a point.

Brevity and clarity are two things that I find important in text-based RP. Granted, I’ve only ever been in one, but something that really turns me off from engagement is when I need to read a novel to understand what someone is doing.

Fact of the matter is, time is money. I have no money, so I would like to spend my time wisely, and if I need to catch up on an RP interaction that takes 10 chapters to complete I’m not going to bother and might wind up either confused on the situation or missing out on some genuinely good storytelling.

Now, this is someone else’s awesome topic, so I’m not going to give examples, but I think aiming for a middle-ground between brevity and description is a good practice.

Also, this is a really obscure reference, but @Ghid has the exact tone of Bruce Campbell giving me a tutorial on playing a Spider-Man video game, and I love it.

6 Likes

The boards is plagued and I mean plagued by users writing less than ten words to describe an action, oer and over and over and over and over. Never anything but the simplest, quickest way out, and only editing prior posts for an extra line if called out on it. If you’re being complex and lengthy over and over, yeah, simpler will often help… But trying helps too.

And I would agree if it wasn’t for the deserted wasteland which is creative flavor on these boards. For the record, in that one you are in, the amount you post is absolutely acceptable, and if mine are ever overbearing do let me know.

the sad thing is this was not my intent but now that I realize it I can’t not

4 Likes

did you know that I’ve been sweating nervously since this topic was first posted?

3 Likes

dude take a shower please it’s been two days of non-stop sweating

3 Likes

I tried, I keep sweating in the shower

someone help I didn’t mean for this conversation to go here

3 Likes

I see what you mean now.

2 Likes