Official RPGs Development Topic

Hmm. Perhaps Idaho? They’re between the Rockies and the Blue Mountains of Oregon. Or I could base part of an Oregon setting near the Cascades. The Cascades have tons of wild life, beautiful mountains, and dense pine forests. I kinda feel like doing the Cascade range solely because it’s so familiar to me.

I also know quite a bit of Oregon’s foundation history, and focusing it on the Oregon trail could be very fun. Or at least that time of settlement.

You’re correct. I could definitely fictionalize it. I just don’t want to be exclusive of Natives, since they are important to the history of the American west, especially the Northwest. I may need to do some homework beforehand. Thankfully, I am currently taking a class on the American West, so this would actually be good exercise on what I learned!

1 Like

I think your original idea was interesting, however as it seems from you and Ghids discussion it might be heading in a western genre direction. Which I could be down for.

Also I’m sorry for shamelessly “advertising” my idea directly after your question like that, hope that me sharing my opinions on your rp can help to make amends.

3 Likes

Well, if you based it around after the railroad was completed, you could have a train of passengers from various locations go from west to east, to new york, and then, possibly as a plot twist, have an event that makes them all rush back out west again. Maybe with another train chasing after them, or vice versa?[quote=“Chronicler, post:102, topic:45803”]
I just don’t want to be exclusive of Natives, since they are important to the history of the American west, especially the Northwest. I may need to do some homework beforehand. Thankfully, I am currently taking a class on the American West, so this would actually be good exercise on what I learned!
[/quote]

You could have a player character originating from a specific tribe not local to the route, who’s become modernized with eastern society. Then you could have a more abstract accurate portrayal of a given tribe from a more unique perspective without needing to make them a plot element.

They don’t have to be used prominently in western stories, I know that they weren’t a significant part of Tombestone, High Noon, or The Dollar Trilogy

I think I’d rather base it around one locale. I’d become overwhelmed studying so many different locations of the West and East, because I’m devoted to trying to be as historically accurate as possible. Perhaps that is a problem?

(Like, at the moment I’m trying to write a superhero comic taking place in 1890’s Cleveland, Ohio. Which I’ve been doing a stupid amount of study for just to make sure streets I’m writing actually existed!)

Not entirely true. El Indio in A Few Dollars More was supposed to be a hispanic native, who became a cruel villain. Of course, he was only a criminal mastermind. Helps when they focused those films in New Mexico and Texas, where they’d be encountering only the Mexican peoples.

Also, those locations were in the heat of the Southern United States, primarily settled by white Americans after the push west. The native tribes were being pushed into the North West and the Great Plains due to Manifest Destiny. So, it makes sense there is no presence of them there. Meanwhile, if I focused on the greener, forested lands of the Northwest, native interaction is very important. Especially with the amount of Methodist missionaries hoping to preach to them.

3 Likes

In a non-DnD rp? Yeah, I’d say it is. It prevents you from doing certain things that alter modern history.[quote=“Chronicler, post:106, topic:45803”]
Also, those locations were in the heat of the Southern United States, primarily settled by white Americans after the push west. The native tribes were being pushed into the North West and the Great Plains due to Manifest Destiny. So, it makes sense there is no presence of them there. Meanwhile, if I focused on the greener, forested lands of the Northwest, native interaction is very important. Especially with the amount of Methodist missionaries hoping to preach to them.
[/quote]

And if you stick too close to history, you’re bound to involve methodists in one way or another, and then staff will filet you possibly. It’s a tricky subject.

1 Like

I think it may be a good idea to perhaps… Focus on something more industrialized? Like the Eastern United States. I could do something like a superhero RP for industrial America. It’s a topic I’ve already been covering, and besides, there was spiritualism and weird science going on during the Gilded Age. People would just need to make superheroes fitting that. Or even just normal dudes with guns! Or you can even play cowboys if desired.

There’s also plenty of corruption and gang violence during that time too. Which helps superhero stuff.

1 Like

Carnegie’s not gonna be too pleased[quote=“Chronicler, post:108, topic:45803”]
People would just need to make superheroes fitting that.
[/quote]

Now there I’m not sure. Not many people really know that time period very well at all so it might be a difficult mould to fit.

1 Like

Well then, it’s like you said. We can fictionalize it. Which actually shouldn’t be too hard. Science was a tricky subject back then, delving into the great unknown, so we can make any wacky explanations. You can even use good-ol-fashioned radiation.

1 Like

Hoo boy, I’m starting to get interested in this.

Well, I don’t know how to go about it, but I’ll tell you this - you’ve got me invested in whatever concept you cook up.

1 Like

Do I have premission to ask about this again?

Now that @Chronicler’s question has been answered seeing as he has made a sign up for his rp and all.

What exactly was your question? Just whether or not people would be interested?

1 Like

Yeah, mostly a question about if people would like to see such an rp happen or not? With the follow up question if it is worth putting down the effort in making it happen? Question 1 kinda answers question 2 but I’ll ask it just in case.

Well, the original had plenty of people, to my memory, so I’d guess the open concept appeals to a wide audience.

1 Like

Yeah, that is the case, however I’m uncertain if my changes/plans for the reboot would cause the appeal of the original to go away. Which is why I explained what I planned to change/expand with the rp in hopes of getting some feedback to on the subject. Runa already suggested to just drop characters into a world and let them do whatever but I think adding a story can make it more intresting. However I don’t know if I’m alone in that thinking or not

I’d say that if you present it like Runa did, with an open world for characters to do whatever, with opportunities for characters/players to engage with your plot beats as they wish, then it would still have that original appeal, but that’s just me.

3 Likes

Now, if I ever do this, it will be a while from now, and if someone else wants to GM it before I get around to it, go right ahead, I’d love to see the concept explored:

Who here would be interested in an RP set in the SCP universe?

5 Likes

Working on an RP with optional PvP and I was wondering if anyone had recommendation on a good framework for it that would let the players handle their own fights without too much GM intervention.

So, I’ve got an Idea for a Command and Conquer themed RP, set in the Tiberium Universe. Opinions? Thoughts? Potential players?

So, about infinity Internet years ago(or about 3 years ago now) I had a freeform RP in space. No pre-established universe for the most part, just a space RP.

How many people would be interested in another like that?

6 Likes