Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

I see no reason to not have a MOC contest then an art portion.

Also, in my opinion, a MOC should be free to use whatever torso and limb builds the builder wants – if it strays too far from looking like a Toa Metru in design, voters can reject it. But I think having the option for custom builds emulating the Metru torso or variations, for example, is important.

2 Likes

I totally understand why you all behind the scenes wouldn’t want to allow something out there like this in.

If I was allowed a say though, I’d argue that Hoseryx was an outlier. Aside from Hoseryx, pretty much all of questionable Helryx mocs were ousted almost immediately. The one with the nuva boobs, the one with the tiny Gali master head (I’m definitely forgeting some, but still).

Same with Artahka. We even had some similarly out there Artahka mocs in his contest, like that one that was a skeletal black demon looking dude with Edward Scissor Hand’s … scissor hands.

That MoC didn’t make it to the finals. People could’ve rallied behind it, but they didn’t. It was just an unusual take on the character that had a very small shot at being canonized.

However, I totally understand not wanting to include that MoC you posted earlier. I understand wanting to head off a potential Hoseryx tier disaster before it starts, it had to have been a huge stress to deal with that.

In the end, we’ll all accept whatever you guys decide are worthwhile candidates, whatever definition that is. You host the contest and therefore have a lot of say in who is allowed in. I just don’t think that kind of a moc would be a massive problem, though I have been wrong before, and it’s not really my place to make the decision anyways. I’ll respect whatever you guys choose, man.

Yeah I’m looking back at more of these entries in past contests. They have 3/4 angle photos of their Mocs and saying that’s the front picture. Same with the back and even the side with some of them. While that’s fine, i do want a straightforward 90 degree front picture, side picture, and back picture. So just a minor refinement with that rule would be nice

1 Like

So long as a MoC isn’t an obvious joke, I don’t think it’d be a Hoseryx tier problem, though I could be wrong. Remember this Artahka MoC?

It’s pretty out there, but it didn’t get memed to the winning position. You think it would’ve, since an accurate name you could give it would be “Hosetakha”. But it didn’t get memed, because it wasn’t a meme. I’m no sooth sayer, but that’s just my instinct.

1 Like

@Sabretooth Someone tried to create a similar system in the old discussion topic. I didn’t go so well.

@Dag If the Mocs will be getting canonized, then any entry that uses a regular mask of emulation will almost certainly get disqualified.

If there is artwork based off the Mocs, then I’d vote for whichever moc as the best limbs, armor, etc…, because the mask would be changed in the artwork portion anyway.

1 Like

The issue of Pouks wearing a mask that’s not shaped like a standard Mask of Emulation isn’t as clear-cut as you’re making it seem. This post does a great job explaining why:

3 Likes

The thing is, a lot of voters just come here to vote. They aren’t involved in these discussions, and don’t know about the minutiae. If you allow a canon-contradicting MOC into the voting, a lot of the voters don’t know or care enough to not vote for it just because it doesn’t comply with a Greg Quote.

Overall, I agree with the sentiment of “let the voters decide”, but that won’t always fix canonictiy issues.

(Also, three-armed Artakha was unironically awesome. One of my top two, along with the winning one.)

2 Likes

Actually, ditto. It’d be useful to see those angles. It’d at least help prevent a Hordika situation where they look hollow from the side.

Edit: scrolled down a few posts and apparently it is in the rules. Neat.

1 Like

What was the greg quote again?

Saying an entry MUST HAVE these specific pieces is a rule that does nothing. I guarantee someone can use those pieces you mentioned and still make something like Nenon.

It doesn’t matter what pieces you restrict and say must be in a moc because you can just build around it and cover it all up to the point where you don’t even see the original piece anymore.

Piece restriction doesn’t prevent non metru moc builds. Just say you want a proportionally metru moc instead of trying to restrict pieces

1 Like

Nothing Greg says can overwrite the books, specifically that the Hagah do have masks shaped after those of past heroes. That alone does open the possibility more Iruini situations, but still unlikely. Then we have Greg’s previous answers:

2)Do the rest of the Hagah have a mask of a different shape, like Norik
2a.Is it possible?
2) Yes

1)I asked you if the rest of the Hagah had masks shaped differently than they should be (Norik : Pehkui=/=Kiril, but it was carved that way) and in a #b, i asked you if it was at least possible, and you said yes, did you mean yes, it is possible or yes, they do?
1)Yes, they do

It can’t be anymore clear-cut than this. I’m pretty disappointed that Gonel made that post, considering Greg has been understandably frustrated in the past when being asked the same question twice. If there was actual conflict between sources, I understand that, but that’s not the case here.

2 Likes

… or just do both

Just say it has to have the metru torso and reasonably resemble the other hagah.

1 Like

There’s two that have been important in these discussions.

One says that all of the Hagah have a Metru Build:

The other says their masks are not in the correct shape of their powers:

(NOTE: Notice how the first quote doesn’t say “Metru build”, it says “Metru-styled”

Is there a difference?)

3 Likes

Read it again I specifically implemented build restrictions as well in that definition. What axels or pins you use to connect everything together or what you add on to those axels or pins shouldn’t matter as long as the main construction with the gear function and waist is intact

1 Like

And then we’re back to square one of what the hell is considered acceptable and how much leeway do we have to customize the build. Not everyone has the same idea of what resembles a toa hagah. If we did, we wouldn’t have this many people arguing about the rules

2 Likes

We would have that problem with your solution of just mandating proportionality. Restricting to a metru torso actually helps fix that.

And regardless, if that’s the case we can just discuss a ruleset there, instead of whether or not a metru build should use what makes a metru build a metru build :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

unless people are arguing for the sake of arguing

1 Like

And like I said, people can use those pieces and build around it and can make that moc look like the furthest thing away from a metru moc.

Proportions are the reason why you think a metru moc looks like a metru build and why Nenon doesn’t look like your usual metru moc. She has actual human proportions.

If she was built with the same proportions as a normal metru build, I have a feeling people would be more ready to accept her as an entry.

So no, piece restriction doesn’t do anything other than make the people who want custom builds not want to join the contest @Winger

And how does letting people use whatever pieces they want help that? People can do that even more easily then.

2 Likes

Yo, I just finished reading (as of me starting this reply) all 169 comments currently in the topic. I gtg for the night but I’m just going to post some final thoughts for the day.

1. (Assuming option 1 is picked) I think people should be allowed to used whatever 3D printed masks they wanted in the MoC contest. Could result in reasonable headcanons for what non Hagah (normal) versions of the masks look like, for those of us who care. Then the art contest could hold hard to canon and make the masks look like ancient hero Kanohi. We already have precedent, both the Helryx and Artahka mocs wore non canon (in Helryx’case, to her final artwork) masks. I see no reason the Hagah mocs couldn’t either. Everybody wins, or at the very least the folks who want a canon compliant art drawing win. Us nerds who want to know what a mask of rahi control looks like might win, depending on the winning MoC.

2. Here are some cool Metru builds. Tokah and Mahuna in particular have interesting builds, though the rest of them all show that (in my mind) that even with wildly different feet and limb pieces, these dudes are still recognizable as a Metru builds. If you were to give the trademark Hagah shield and spear to Tokah for example, I would easily be able to see him as Bomonga. He’d an earth Toa with the right torso and the right weapons. Works for me. [Edit: ALSO!!! I don’t know who made these Mocs, I would’ve credited them otherwise. If anyone knows, I’d appreciate a reply. Thanks, and sorry for not crediting the creator, it’s been over a year since I download that image, I can’t remember from when or where]

1. What time tomorrow will the Nak and Jay be for this? I’m looking forward to the discussion.
4 Likes

Proportions wouldn’t be an issue if you ban custom torsos as then you are given a frame you must adhere to. Also there is always a guy who is going to try and bend the rules but kf they do they’ll most likely get voted out anyway becuse they stray to far from the common consensus.