Olarokh, Toa of Sonics

Well, like I said in last post (which I post it a bit late) that I have one MOC to show you. And he is Olarokh, Toa of Sonics!

More pics: https://flickr.com/photos/114946327@N08/sets/72157663767613400

Bio: http://mrbolttron.deviantart.com/art/Olarokh-Toa-of-Sonics-588925518?ga_submit_new=10%253A1454841655&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1

Olarokh is basically a friend MOC, he is based on my real life friend who I knew him for almost 10 years. Yes, I wanted to do some sort of tribute for him as 10th year anniversary of his and my friendship. But moving along, Olarokh have few notes aout my real life friend. Olarokh's blue color, his element and his broadsword (basically based on FFVII Cloud's/Zack's Buster sword. Mainly he likes that game).
Some couple of notes of course I have to mention, the hands of course is from syoya, crotch skirt idea came from ...The Chosen One..., and finally, the pistol concept I borrowed from VAIO @ HALCAS. All three of them I mentioned, can be found from flickr.
Olarokh might be by far my favourite MOC I have recently built and finished his final look. Anyways, this has been MrBT talking here and I'll catch ya next time, bye!

41 Likes

The color scheme works out pretty great for this but there are some wonky parts to him. For example, the long gappy arms don't match the thick legs quite right, and the clash of tons of greebling with smooth shells not being transitioned makes for some almost unfinished look. The head looks good, I think that was a smart choice of silver and the eye piece fits we'll with the theme. The colors are pretty balanced and transition in a way that looks like armor, which is a cool bonus. I do question the posibility of the legs though, they seem very restricted even for the size of the moc.

Over all the moc is pretty cool and seems to have an intresting source for inspiration and turned out well. Hopefully this criticism is useful and doesn't seem like I hate the moc. So good job man :thumbsup:.

5 Likes

The freaking shield I love it way to much, and I don't know why. I also really really like the sword. That torso design is also really groovy to me. The Arms are little weird compared to the legs, the legs also look restricted, But the sword and Shield Combo picture sells this MOC for me for some reason I can't name. Overall this MOC is amazingly groovy to me, the GIF shows the exact face I had when I saw the shield. But hey that's just an Opinion, My opinion.

Here's My GIF to you.

2 Likes

I really really like this MOC, it's got a lot going for it. The staff/railgun(?) is very creative. Also the sword and shield combo works really well, especially the sword. One issue I have with this is the title - Toa. See, to me Toa are rather simple and are usually a lot smaller. This guy just seems to big and too advanced to be a Toa. He's much more like a titan (kinda of like Axonn or Brutaka or Sidorak).

So yeah basically, the build is great, but I think he looks a little too advanced to be a Toa.

But hey ho, 7/10

3 Likes

Hot Dayumn thats cool! I love how you did the rocket launcher action shot!

2 Likes

Been a while since I seen a bulky toa build like this, and I love it. Like the others said, the arms are really thin and gappy compared to the rest of the moc, and there's a lot of clashing in the armor textures, but the weapons and shield are great. the overall color scheme is also nice, good job :smile:

2 Likes

Great MOC, very detailed and eye- catching, but I can't help but think that the leg as are too thick for a MOC of this size.

2 Likes

I like this one a lot, the usage of the Breakout Stringer armor addons was a good idea and really compliments the MOC nicely. The blue and trans orange look fantastic together and are, visually, really appealing to me as are his interesting weapons. Yeah his arms are a tad thin, but I like the emphasis it puts on the legs and makes him look like a really fast character.

2 Likes

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: s'good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Welcome to the Boards, BoltTron! Good to see you here, too! I love this creation, to the very core. :heart: Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for the critique! About Toa thing, and I haven't revealed yet why he is that big (but of course,it is your opinion afterall). Now, I'm not sure have you seen this his bio yet, but in Olarokh's bio, there is a term I gave which is Neo-Toa. (I think occupation section). Neo-Toa is an advanced version of their previous forms, basically in accidents they are carried to the place and there they are upgraded, depending on how severe the damages are on injured Toa (Well, in this case he was heavily injured and designed to be that way).
Now, like you said about it, I appreciate your opinion, but I didn't want reveal his real past, why he is large and complex (I should have mentioned that Neo-Toa are like cyborgs). But still, I appreciate your thoughts, his story thing I'll upload to dA when I have time :smiley:

2 Likes

If you bulked up the shoulders and gave it a cape it would look like a Warhammer 40K Space Marine.

5 Likes

That looks amazing!

1 Like

Another great MOC. The sword and shield are very well done and overall the figure gives me a futuristic riot control soldier vibe. The Trans-Orange accents are also a nice touch to the colorscheme.

Onto the critisms. I really like the legs, their flow, and their boot aesthetic they give, but the side detail is a little too distracting. It pulls my attention away from the rest of the model. As it has been mentioned before because of their bulk the legs do make the the arms look skinny in comparison, so I would suggest to either tone down the legs or beef up the arms.

Aside from the two speakers on the shoulders (which are obscured when viewing from the front) I'm not really getting a feel for the Sonics part of this character. Perhaps add more speakers or other sound-recording textures throughout the MOC?

Lastly, the loincloth. Ditch it. It makes looking at the midsection really difficult and it doesn't really fit with the futuristic look.

Overall it's a very nice MOC and I can definitely see improvement from your previous creations, keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Hi! Thank you for the criticism, I appreciate it. About the arms or legs, well, I'm gonna try out to bulk his lower arms (and there are already opinions about his arms being lanky).

The speakers on his shoulders, well, he actually have a third one, on his chest, but that's kinda noteable detail for him. I can try out to improve him a bit better, with few more sound-recording details.

And about his crotch, uhu, I get the point (and yes, the idea was to create him with a futuristic design). Loincloth thing is like a bit "futuristic" mixed with knight-ish look. But sure, it's your own thought anyways, and it is appreciated👍🏼

But yupyup, thanks again for the criticism :smiley:

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

wow this guy did not skip leg day. good job

1 Like

As a normal MOC: DAAAAANG SON.
As a toa of sonics... I think he should have more alluding to his element than just the shoulder speakers.

2 Likes

Well, not only his audiospeaker shoulder armor, but also his audiospeaker chest :smile: but of course, I'm trying to add some "audio" type design on him :smiley:

2 Likes

AH I just noticed the chest!
That really helps it, great job!

2 Likes