Oomatu Art: G3 Weapon Discussion

UPDATED WITH NEW CONCEPT ART!

1 Like

I love the weapon designs!
They’re all unique in where they take the original Mata Weapons, but improve them greatly to fit in with the Duploonicle Brickonicle aesthetic.

They only downside I feel is the inclusion of the prints.

While TTV has, IMO, over-printed the Minifigs just a tad to make them look all the more cooler, I feel that Lego would definitely reduce the amount of printing for actual sets.

Same feelings for your weapon designs; while they look awesome, I highly doubt they would have prints. Maybe two colors per weapon, but I don’t think prints would be included.

tl;dr They look awesome, but would be dumbed down because of reality.:sob:

3 Likes

Imgur

Is that a snowboard what kopaka has?

2 Likes

I like everything I see, I definitely think Onua should have class instead of a hammer, and I would kinda like to see the return of Lewa’s axe. That being said, I do like the other weapon designs you have for Lewa and would be ok with them instead.

All the new weapon sketches look amazing!

Here are the ones I like the best:

TAHU:

This one resembles his original blade while still being different and unique.

This blade, I think, would work well as an upgrade to Tahu’s sword for G3’s second or third year.

KOPAKA:

I like this design, though I think the cutout should be removed so that it is a solid circle.

This is my favorite from the ice blades; personally, though, I think that Kopaka’s weapon should be more refined. Most of the ones here are chaotic and spikey and icicle-y, but I think it doesn’t fit as well with Kopaka’s character.

ONUA:

I really like this one; giving Onua back his claws would be awesome.

I like both of these weapons here; however, upon further thought, I don’t think Onua should have an axe, as that would go against his new nature-based abilities. He wouldn’t want to harm any of the trees in his domain.

LEWA:

This blade gives a very LotR elven-esque feel… I think it would fit well with Lewa. However, I also think perhaps an axe would work for her…

The tonfas are also a unique and cool idea; out of those this design is my favorite.

POHATU:

I like all of the staff ideas here; I think maybe just a staff would work for Pohatu, but in the nature of Lego a chain and accessory would most likely be added. The staff with a crystal on the end of the chain is my favorite of this batch.

I think this looks excellent; plus yeah callback to G1.

GALI:
Maui hooks all da way.

Overall, I primarily like the weapons which take inspiration from G1; not sure if this is good or bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Once again an excellent batch of artwork.

2 Likes

enemies chop down trees, onua chops down enemies
Paying them with the same coin, give him that battle axe

3 Likes

Fair point; maybe it would work.

I for one love the snowboard shield Kopaka has in the first image. Don’t know how effective it’d be, but then again his first shield in G1 was like 75% holes, so I’m sure he’d be fine.

I think Pohatu should have something that he could attack with quickly, what with his mask of speed and all. Drawing a blank on what that could be, but maybe a couple of one handed hammers? He could speed in, knock some baddies over the head, and run off. It’d also be easier to pose than the flail staff.

Gahli’s I love but I’d make them a little smaller if it were me. Tahu’s sword and Onua’s claws I also love (though maybe a cross guard for Tahu if we’re doing the medieval Europe look, but it looks good without too).

Finally, while I love the tonfa blades, I do love the idea of the fans. I think having Lewa be able to move air like that would be awesome and would stand out a bit more, in a good way.

All that said, they look great, and I really love the colors on them.

UPDATED WITH POHATU ART

5 Likes

Beautiful, as always. Not sure how much I like him having both a hammer-like bit on one end and a chain with spikes on the other, but it could work.

1 Like

It’s technically just the bowstaff , but it’s infused with elemental energy.

1 Like

I really like Kopaka’s Snow sled shield. I would have the shield completely round or one of the leaf shaped shields on the far right.

As for Kopaka’s sword, I vote for the 1st and 3rd designs from the left.

I love Pohatu’s flail and Tahu’s sword in the group picture.

I think Lewa should still have an axe and get the arm blades (which are so cool) later on.

all your drawings are awesome. :upside_down:

I feel this summarizes the general opinion pretty well. I do think that the Toa should hand make their toa in the first year, enbuing them with elemental energy in combat. This could open them up to using secondaries weapons and “multipurpose” weapons like Pohatu’s bostaff.

Kopaka’s snowboard is an interesting concept, I think it’s a little too thin to make for an effective shield, though. I’m a huge stickler for the circle shield for Kopaka.

1 Like

So I’ve heard… Lol☺️. I’ll keep an ear to the ground and stay tuned to the community opinion. While ultimately the final designs are entrusted to the cast, my artistic deviations might exist for nothing more than to add flavor to the discussion.

It could be a nice thing if the Toa had bone and stone weapons year 1 and then moved on to metal n stuff in year 2?

That about sums it up. Tahu could have metal cause Mangians would likely have some primitive form of metallurgy. In later years their weapons could look more elementally “pure” with trans blades.

Lewa Axe
Kopaka Spear and Shield
Tahu Sword
Gali Hooks
Onua Claws
Pohatu Boomarangs
Takua Staff
Voriki Trident

Interesting. Lewa’s needs to be reimagined for aerodynamic purposes, axes or not. Claws and boomerangs should be secondary weapons if anything, though I definitely think they should exist in G3.

I just want pieces for all of them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like