Opinions about Nostalgia?

Hey everyone! So how does everyone feel about Nostalgia?

For me it’s a very powerful emotion. It’s one of great happiness, good memories about the past, and then a sudden rush of sadness knowing that those experiences will most likely never be felt again. Sometimes the sad overwhelms the happy and sometimes it’s the other way around.

2 Likes

Well it happens to us all in some way. Probably for a good reason too, if we constantly remembered our past being horrible then we would be very sad people wouldn’t we?

However nostalgia is a dangerous thing. Often clouding judgement and robbing our joy of the present. Remember the good times because they happened, don’t ruin your future because it isn’t the same as your past.

2 Likes

Those are some pretty good words. :smiley: They really make you think, don’t they?
Do you like Nostalgia?
P.S sorry if you feel as if I’m interviewing you lol, I’m just a little curious :slight_smile:

Nostalgia can be seen as a good thing; It can allow past fans of a certain hobby to re-enter it from their fond memories of the past. It’s when people start to get blinded that it becomes a terrible force.

It’s kind of like how the Mata are held on a high pedestal just from Nostalgia alone.

2 Likes

I’ve always found the concept of nostalgia interesting (and very annoying). Personally I don’t feel very much in the way of nostalgia. I enjoy things for what they are and nothing more. But since discovering online communities, I’ve discovered that nostalgia seems overall to be a more of a hindrance to properly understanding whatever subject matter is being discussed. To me it’s a useless emotion that does more to cloud someone’s judgment then enhance it.

How could it cloud someone’s judgement exactly? If you don’t mind me asking

Nostalgia often acts as a rush of pure emotion. Many people make judgments just on those feelings alone. Hypothetical example: I remember watching Dora the Explorer every single day when I was a kid. I have such good memories of those days! I’m convinced that Dora is one of the best shows ever made. I realize I’m exaggerating a bit here, but I’ve heard something to this extent in regards to a wide variety of topics. People often judge things based on their very shallow and reactionary emotions. Nostalgia is a purer form of that. Its almost pure emotion and therefore can’t reflect reality very well. And something that acts in this way makes a very inaccurate tool for judging and making decisions.

1 Like

Nostalgia is like drugs, except it’s not illegal.
So it really depends how it affects you.

2 Likes

I love watching Arthur, purely because of Nostalgia. Same reason I like some things that others dislike, such as LR and the Inika build. Nostalgia is very powerful in me, and it’s always bittersweet.

1 Like