Po-Wahi Concept [EDIT: Sandcastles, Mahi, and other beautiful things]

Can he not want to save his people and home? If anything this would make him more determined to save them, since a small village in a desert would be closer.

2 Likes

You make a good point. I concede.

2 Likes

There is also a village on the far left @Payinku

1 Like

I’m just gonna expand on this a bit since it’s got me thinking, this small tight-knit desert folk idea would also allow for pohatu to be both of his previous personalities, cold and serious around strangers and in combat, the comedian with friends.

5 Likes

nice. Your skill in this actualy make me hope that the TTV podcast crew in a way make you the official Bionicle G3 art designer. You pritty much have the skill for the job.

2 Likes

That’s Po-Wahi alright. I love the head structures, harkens back to MNOG and the other Templar Studios animations very well.

1 Like

Beautiful artwork once again. Keep it up!

would you be opposed to giving them blue highlights for eyes and providing them with blue crystals and stains? i feel that would stand out in the tan expanse like bits of the sky piercing down into the stone.

1 Like

It’s not something I’m opposed to, in fact, I initially planned it for Pohatu’s color scheme. I’ll will experiment with it in the future.

1 Like

from what i’ve seen, I’ve compiled my thoughts on the sort of culture each koro lives in. its not much though.

Ko:
“When you walk the drifts it measures your will.”
People:
Kopaka toa of ice: sword and shield
Nuju turaga of ice: ice pick staff with a lantern hooked on.
Matoro: flags and a balder axe
Kopeke: telescope and a lantern
Katjaa: spear and shield
Homes:
decommissioned longboats overturned as roofs, built into homes under the wind swept ice mountains that line the coast, leading up a mountain with ice plains littered with ferocious beasts.
Color
skin and armor white and grey, clothed with red cloth capes to find their friends and family in the snow as a way home.
Culture
Viking: focus on fishing, storytelling, boating and hunting on the mountain drifts.

Ta
“You must know no bounds as you face the unforgiving world, have courage! stand strong and tall against the obsidian rift!”
People
Tahu Toa of fire: fire sword
Vakama turaga of fire: torch staff with eternal flame.
Jaller: captain of guard: halberd and kite shield
Takua: chronicler: chronicler’s notebook and lava board
Kapara: vanguard: flail and triangle shield
Homes
blackened cobble and granite castles and outposts reminding of a time of might, since decayed the rivers of lava providing a perfect moat to protect from threats.
Color
red and yellow-orange with charred steel plating where flexibility and balance aren’t affected.
Culture
medieval: focus military might, forging, ash farming and mechanical engineering.

Onu
“We need to take care of this world we live in, not just for to day, but tomorrow, when we are granted prosperity.”
People
Onua Toa of earth: hammer and large claws.
Whenua turaga of earth: plow drill staff
Onepu ussal rider and farmer: ussal crab and plow
Taipu colony miner: pickaxe
Nuparu engineer at ta-koro: welding drill
Midak rancher on outskirts of po-wahi
Homes
overridden by jungle, tucked within crevasses, the architecture almost reclaimed by nature presents an ancient pyramidal structure with clay housing scattered about. much of the inhabitants have departed due to poor harvests and spread throughout the thick swamps and jungles, but deeper still, roads through the earth reveal mining colonies tucked beneath the roots of trees.
Color
black and green with a muddy tan dirt plastered over them from hard work cultivating crops and mining resources.
Culture
Aztec: an emphasis on forestry, farming, mining and cultivation.

Ga
“The ocean’s rise and fall teaches us how to take nothing for granted but the purity of one’s heart.”
People
Gali toa of water: islander hooks as seen in concept.
Nokama turaga of water: trident staff
Maku: Student
Hahli: weaver’s assistant and spelunker
Markha: seaweed harvester
Homes
atop lilies built with bamboo and coral, the village rises and falls upon a plateau in the tidal canyon, anchored by long chains of seaweed, keeping them tied to the cliff side and the plateau in equilibrium.
Color
to blend in with coral, blue and orange eyes is ornamented with bright orange and petrified sea life.
Culture
southeast Asian coastline: Centered around learning, weaving fibers and baskets, spelunking and seaweed/coral harvesting.

Le
“Sing-talk of your inner-thoughts so people can have faith in your truth-speak!”
people
Loowa Toa of air: swords or axe, cape.
Matau turaga of air: marble buzz saw
Kongu: gulkko flyer and musician: cape, gukko
Tamaru: pulley elevator tender: rope, grapple.
Homes
though previously living in pantheons among the meadows and plains, the sudden rise to the sky toppled much, and with their altitude, weather is retained to foggy or sunny, reducing need for shelter as they live in the air.
Color
green and sky blue adorned with a strong lightweight and marble-like white armor.
Culture
Greek: full of fast spirited philosophical debate, arial maneuvers, architecture and music.

Po
“If we don’t use everything, the sand swallows it whole, in so we create a paradise of our own.”
People
Pohatu toa of stone: foot pads, small dagger
Onewa turaga of stone: chisel and hammer staff
Hewkii: a kohlii player and prospector: prospecter’s hammer
Hafu: ANOTHER HAFU ORIGINAL! Carver, chisel and pick
Ahkmau: trader, traitor, tr8r: knife
Homes
emergent from cliff faces, are stretched hides of massive beasts that once roamed the deserts serving as markets for the scarce supplies, dug into the cliffs, a mosque like crevasse provides shelter from sandstorms. And yet in the dessert, few prospectors, nomads and carvers roam the expanse in hopes of finding a new place to carve a home into.
Color
orange-brown and sandy tan with indigo staining to their armor and skin like the sky piercing the desert.
Culture
Persian: consisting of light-stone prospectors, carvers, rahi rancher and economists.

6 Likes

Really like the way you did the Mahi in this piece, as well as the Kanohi carvings/buildings.

All of the little details and the perspective really makes this painting. From Pohatu with the trail of footprints behind him, to the flag, to the village in the background, they all go together to create a nice atmosphere that really feels like Po-Wahi.

1 Like

Honestly I don’t really like the crystals, they look really out of place.

Orange fits better with landscape, I get that the blue is supposed to give contrast, but it just looks kinda jarring. Also, og Pohatu had Orange eyes, so that’s probably factoring into my opinion somewhere…

3 Likes

I’d say orange, but bump up the saturation somewhat since the colors feel a bit washed out. Amazing artwork though. I’m really loving this!

1 Like

I think that was the general consensus, and I tried boosting the color in the edit. Sadly, it just felt even more off putting… so left well enough alone.

2 Likes

I can’t decided between blue and orange they both look really good!

Blue the I am sorry I do not remember its name, creature looks like it is takeoff a dump, and his dung is crystals… it is awsome!

Blue looks nice as a good contrast to the sand and stuff.

Orange or blue? I vote neither. They don’t seem necessary, and are out of place in a dessert. The new Mahi are cool, though.

2 Likes

We need more Scarif Trooper heads, MOAR

1 Like