Possible Brickonicle Mask Powers

Here is my list for 12 possible mask powers for Brickonicle:
Endurance
Strength
Speed
Sense Motive
Night Vision
Pain Resistance (does not prevent/heal damage)
Water Affinity
Levitation/Fall Control
Telescopic Vision
Camouflage
Healing (self and others)
Wild Empathy

Explanations:
Endurance: You can do more work for longer without feeling exhaustion. You can walk further, carry slightly more, go longer without food and water, and withstand more physical “punishment” than normal. Used mostly by Matoran physical workers and some Soldiers.

Strength: You can carry a lot more, hit harder, and jump higher. However, you tire quicker than wearing a Mask of Endurance. Used by mostly Soldiers or Explorers.

Speed: You run faster, and have a quicker reaction time. You can move further than someone with a mask of Endurance, but you tire quicker. Mostly used by Couriers and Messengers.

Sense Motive: You have an uncanny knack for guessing what others are feeling. This is not perfect Telepathy, you merely get the feeling that “this person has a troubled conscience” or the like. This only senses the emotions of Intelligent Beings, not animals. Mostly used by Police Officers, Politicians, and Priests.

Night Vision: You can see almost perfectly at night or in dark caverns. However colors are muted, and you cannot see as far as your normal sight. Used by mostly Guards and Spies.

Pain Resistance: You feel less pain, but it is still there. This does not prevent or undo actual harm, you can simply function with a broken limb while others are left reeling. Used mostly by Soldiers and Guards.

Water Affinity: You can hold your breath for longer than others. Used by many Nahoan fishers and those who frequently deal with Naho.

Levitation: You can slow your fall to nonlethal speeds, and hover a few feet in the air. This also lets you hover over liquids or rapidly rise to the surface. Used by mostly Mangaian Thrill seekers, Kanaean travelers, and Nahoan Fishers.

Telescopic Vision: You can zoom in and see things from a distance, however you lose your peripheral vision. Used by mostly Scouts and Spies.

Camouflage: You alter the color of your skin to be similar to your surroundings, although you must maintain your concentration. This is not perfect Invisibility. Used by mostly Spies and Hunters.

Healing: You expend some of your own energy to heal the wounds others or to quicken your own healing process. Used by mostly Doctors and Priests.

Wild Empathy: You can influence and sense the feelings of Animals and nearby Wildlife. Animals train easier for you than others. However, this only works on Animals, not Intelligent Beings such as Matoran. Used mostly by Animal Trainers and Shepherds.

The difference between Toa masks and Matoran masks are power level. A Toa with a Mask of Speed could run anywhere between 2-5 times faster than a Matoran with a Mask of Speed. A Toa with a Sense Motive mask has a more acute sense that is closer to traditional Telepathy. Toa-level Night vision sees farther and has more colors. Toa-Level Pain Resistance can mute pain entirely, or work more like Guts’ Berserk Armor. Toa level Water Affinity could work like true Water Breathing. Toa-Level Levitation could be actual flight. Toa-Level Telescopic Vision could also gain X-Ray vision. Toa-Level Camouflage could be more like an Octopi’s level of Camouflage. Toa-Level Wild Empathy could even be Animal Control.

Here’s my suggestions for the Toa’s Masks:
Gali- Water Affinity or Sense Motive.
Lewa- Levitation, Camouflage, or Wild Empathy
Kopaka- Telescopic Vision or Sense Motive
Tahu- Pain Resistance or Strength
Pohatu- Speed or Sense Motive
Onua- Strength, Healing, Night Vision

As a Sidenote, I feel Pain Resistance fits Tahu better than Shielding. He could have ben so numb to pain, that he forgets that others feel pain. He makes decisions without thinking of the consequences to himself or others. Very Fire-like, if you ask me. Like in G1 where he destroys a tree in order to get a mask, and Gali screams at him about not thinking about his actions. Or in this G3 where Tahu drives Rahi into the Ihu Region.

Feel Free to suggest any changes or Improvements, I probably won’t add anything else.

5 Likes

Here’s a few links to similar topics: here and here.

I feel that some of the masks listed should already be attributed to certain Toa, while others should be trainable qualities (made easier by their Toa physiologies). The links in this comment say it better than I could.

While I like the concept of giving classes of Matoran these various powers, I agree that many are redundant to give a character who should already have the skill naturally. So just making these powers be general mask powers for any Matoran to utilize, definitely works. Since we already know they have some elemental powers, having these makes sense.

Though I would say things like Naho Matoran can naturally breath underwater (not just hold their breath longer), for a short period of time. But they can breath for longer periods with the mask power. Same with Kanae Matoran and levitating briefly.

However, it would make more sense for a Toa to have a mask power for something you couldn’t gain naturally. I know the strength/speed from a mask of strength/speed would be more than what you could gain naturally through training, but these skills just seem too common for a Toa mask. The last four masks could work for Toa powers.

1 Like

In the last episode of the TTV Podcast (which hasn’t been released yet, so you haven’t heard it if you aren’t a Patreon), we essentially ruled out having any powers that aren’t just physical enhancements. In G1, the Kanohi powers were definitely a victim of power creep, and essentially gifted each Toa with a superpower, especially in the later years.

Stuff like psionics, telekinesis, teleportation, direct mind control, all of that kind of stuff are out of the running. Speed, strength, endurance, etc. are the only powers that will be gained by using a mask.

1 Like

I’ll wait for the episode to hear the whole discussion, but at the moment I still think that’s redundant. Unless you give strength to someone besides Onua or speed to someone besides Pohatu/Lewa. Those traits are already very prominent in those specific characters, so the mask power would seem less useful to them.

However, I understand the power creep factor. Though there may be a few masks out there, without the creep, that are something besides a natural skill/enhancement.

Berserker Armor knockoff

Anyways most of these seem pretty good.

@Jon: When you say “last,” do you mean “previous” or “final?”

Definitely previous. We’re not ending the podcast anytime soon.

Mask powers are able to be used by anyone.

1 Like