Prototype design for a welded kanohi

During school last year, i was offered a welding course as an extra and i learnt how to weld, i decided to try and weld a Hau but i didn’t know what exactly to do. I used CrunchbiteNuva’s papercraft design, first actually making the mask in paper to see how the pieces connected. I then adhered the paper pieces to sheet metal, which isn’t easy to weld so a spot welder was used. The pro of that was accuracy at the cost of looking a bit burnt. This design will be a prototype as I am going to modify the pieces so that the mask will be easier to weld and be welded another type of welder as the spot welder is quite tedious and doesn’t result in continuous and strong welds.

View post on imgur.com
Tahu Hau for scale The next mask will be easier to build but do note that the hau is considered a difficult mask to design, a Kanohi Miru or Kakama would be easier to build and would require little to no modification, depending on the welder. I'm not sure when the next mask will be built as i don't have access to any tools currently having just moved house.

Tools: spot welder, tin snips, file, assorted hammers, pliers and adherent

23 Likes

Welding together a mask… Why can’t you just carve it out of kanoka disk like the res of us. /jk
It’s pretty rad for a prototype. I can definitely see a few spots where you had trouble. Also welding up a mask sounds like a pretty tough task, so I’d give it a pretty decent score. Keep up the good work, practice makes perfect.

7 Likes

Very cool, how long did it take you to make?

2 Likes

Well the thing my school only had welding sessions once a week and 2 days at lunch time and I built it during those but a lot of the extra stuff (cutting out pieces from paper of metal) I did at home so it took a while but it was because of when things where happening

4 Likes

My god this Hau is beatiful

2 Likes

That’s really cool!

3 Likes

It’s Cooul and Stuffs. :wink:

It kind of looks like it is an Olisi/ Hau Fusion.

3 Likes

That Hau is amazing!

4 Likes

That looks so amazing. It’s like Iron-Man mark 1. 10-out-of-Fricken-10 :smile:

6 Likes

That’s sort of what it is, I will be designing an improved version at some point

6 Likes

That’s just epic.

4 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes

hau did you do it

3 Likes

Do you have any more Kanohi made of metal? This is amazing.

1 Like

Afraid not.

2 Likes