questions about unnamed masks

hi, I have been a bionicle fan for a while and I noticed that some masks from G1 didn’t have a specific name ( hau;kaukau;etc…)and were only called officially mask of (whatever the power might be).
I was wondering if there were official names for these kanohis or any attempt at “filling this gap” from fans.

2 Likes

It depends on the mask, some, like the mask of Sensory Aptitude, were created by the project, Expanded Multiverse, and added to canon, while others were sinply just not given a name, but these are few.

I was thinking about those ones that simply weren’t given a name.
sorry for my english I am not very good with grammar

I’m sure many of fan projects have given them names, (Red Star Games comes to mind). A good rule of thumb is if it existed in set form, it has a name.

If you go to the website Biosector01.com, it can give you a list of all the knaohi. (It also has german and French counterparts if that helps at all!)

EDIT: also, your english was fine, i just misunderstood the question.

cough Mask of Scavenging cough

Greg did say about a day or two ago that getting the names through legal has a budget: Continuing G1's Story - #12 by RealGregF
I would think it comes down to the budget. The masks help advertise the sets, so part of the set budget would likely be able to go into the legal department for the names. (Especially if the character already had a name. This kind of makes sense; the Toa Mahri got masks as they already had names, while Barraki with new names did not get masks. The Makuta got masks and names, as the Toa Nuva already had both. Though that’s very speculative on my part.)

Hence while it’s a rule of thumb.

Also, that mask came from EM too, if you recall.

If they were official masks, and they didn’t have a BIONICLE name, it’s probably because there were no free names on the approved list to give them.

4 Likes