Rare Kanohi research topic

Thank you for the recommendation!

I see.

I can imagine it happening, on these boards alone I have seen some bizzare stuff when it comes to mask damage.

4 Likes

I may have just found an image of the theorized Red Huna:

Brickshelf Gallery - Strange or interesting findings.

I have absolutely no idea where this person got this picture from, and it could easily be fake; I only came across it by chance while looking for a different rare mask, which I will discuss below. Note that the folder linked above also has an image of a Dark Blue Matatu.

[EDIT: I just checked BS01, and they also have an image of it:

link:
File:ProtoRed Huna.jpg - BIONICLEsector01 (biosector01.com)]

The reason I was looking for rare masks on Brickshelf is because, while looking at an old Rahi Contest entry, another folder on the creatorā€™s page caught my eye for a couple of reasons; the second reason was one of the masks visible in the thumbnail:

Brickshelf Gallery - 911 Dedication

2004_0911dedication01022.gif

2004_0911dedication01012.gif

It reminded me of the video that Faber posted relatively recently, showing a Matoran with a Dark Red Huna:

The Miru in the Brickshelf pictures looks painted to me, but I canā€™t say for sure; Iā€™ve looked for other angles of it (which is where I came across the Red Huna), but I canā€™t find anything else, so I figured Iā€™d share it here for other people to check out. The most suspicious thing to me is the white spot under the left eye in both photos; is it just glare, or the real colour of the mask underneath? The mask also seems weirdly shiny.

7 Likes

I think it is painted, as the white spot is visible from two different angles in the exact same location. Were it a reflection, it would have moved between the two photos, as they were taken from slightly different angles.

2 Likes

Huh, so I guess that BS01 picture might have been legit after allā€¦ I have been doubting it for years because of the lighting and convenient carpet choice, but the brickshelf picture seems legit. You can even tell it is the retail shape, not the prototype shape of the mask, which is what we would expect for this specimen. The picture is from 2004, which I would say lends it extra credibility.

The dark red Miru is almost certainly a bootleg - the color is way off from the rest of Vakamaā€™s body and it even seems slightly transparent?? The shininess is the killing factor - the two forehead depressions on Miru are always matte finish in contrast to the rest of the mask, which is glossy. However on this picture they are just as glossy as the entire mask.

3 Likes

It certainly looks more legit than the examples below.

3 Likes