Rescue (“No one gets left behind” unofficial sequel)

Rescue

“It’s here.”

The speaker was pointing at a point on a ragged, stained map. The location was on an island called Daxia.

“If we can breach the security perimeter, we may have a chance of bringing her out alive,” Kualas said. His eyes were focused on the map, narrowed as though in deep concentration. Beside him stood two other Toa. On his left was Pouks, Toa Hagah of Stone, and on his right was Gaaki, the Toa Hagah of Water. Across from them stood the rest of the team, Bomonga and Iruini, the Toa of Earth and Air. They surrounded their leader, Norik, Toa of Fire. Norik looked at the map, his face grim as he spoke: “This time, no one gets left behind.”

On the island known as Daxia, it was quiet, save for the murmur of water on the rocky shores, and the wind. The island was dominated by a massive fortress that filled its center, atop an artificial plateau. It was forbidding and dark, more so because it was abandoned. The windows were dark, and their glass was cracked, as though they had survived a hurricane. There was no motion, except that of water and wind, and the remaining Nektanns that patrolled the perimeter of the island. Many of them had ceased working, but there were many left. They had eliminated most Rahi on Daxia, and had formed a hive-like connection in their robotic brains. While they didn’t pose much of a threat individually, they were now very dangerous, their minds slaved to a central computer that took in data from all of them and used it to control them.

But there was one other on the island: a figure in the shadows, a lurker who was hunting the Nektanns down, one by one. They had tried to trap it, and they had fought it en masse, but it had always escaped. It was blue-armored, and was known to kill by crushing the central processor of its prey, leaving the body intact.

“So,” said Iruini, “we’re going on a little trip to Daxia to see if you can find the remains of an old friend? I expected less sentiment from you, Norik. Why, she’s probably on the Star by now.”

He was leaning against the door, an amused grin covering his face.

“Iruini has a point,” Kualas said. “If we go there, there’s every chance that she was killed. You know the Shadowed One. He would either kill her or turn her to his side, keeping her as a servant of some sort.”

Norik turned, his face strained with the exertion of staying calm.

“You may say I’m a fool, but you would do the same were I in her place, and I nearly was. If you don’t want to go, say so plainly, and have it done with.”

The others looked at each other, disconcerted. Finally, Gaaki spoke.

“We will come. You are our leader. We must obey you, by our choice and your order. We choose to come of our own will, as you would have it no other way. Let us go to Daxia.”

The landing was quiet. One boat with a powerful electric motor slid up to the shore. Two figures leaped out, drawing spears and shields. One, a muscular Toa, dragged the boat higher onto the beach, and moored it to a rock. The rest followed, heading to the first two.

“Gaaki, you and Iruini scout the area. Bomonga, guard the boat. Once they return, we’ll move in.”

Pouks smiled, bending the rock so that it was tied around the rope.

“Let’s hope she’s still here, Norik.”

Norik nodded, staring at the strange sky. It was night, yet the sky was purple, streaked with other colors like a madman’s painting of delirium. He felt as though he was back on that day, long ago, seeing the face of his friend as she gave herself up for his life. A tear trickled down his mask.

A light shone from the cliff above. The sound of Zamor fire jolted the Toa from his reverie.

“Let’s go!” Bomonga cried, heading up the beach.

“Wait!” said Norik, but it was too late. The other two had gone ahead, charging towards the blaze.

Sighing, Norik followed. He emerged into a clearing, surrounded by tall trees. He looked left, then right. He couldn’t see anyone. Even the sounds of the gunfire had faded. He shook his head. It was nonsense. All due to atmosphere.

“Where are your friends now?”

The voice filled his ears, echoing as in a cave.

“You’re abandoned, like me. Left to suffer eternal torment, trapped in time, separated from existence.”

A figure moved into his vision, cloaked in grey.

“You failed, Norik. You knew I couldn’t fight. You hated me, my actions, and my existence. I was a burden.”

It was coming closer, its Calix glistening under roiling red skies.

“Now you will pay!”

The voice was a scream, a mixture of terror and rage.

“No! Not you! You saved me! Why should you do this?”

“I have changed. Why should I keep up the pretense?”

It was quite close now. Norik could see its eyes, red and fiery. He backed up, reaching for his weapons. They were gone!

Then he was falling, cliffs rushing up past him, flames leaping around him. He tried to scream, but no sound came to his lips.

“Norik! Wake up!”

“What?”

He looked into the eyes of a slim, scarred Toa of Psionics.

“Varian! You- you- Did you have to do that to me?”

Varian’s expression became sad.

“I’m not sure. Ever since my release, my mind has not been stable. I black out, I do things without thinking, I say what I don’t mean… It hurts…”

Norik winced. He knew how she had felt after being hit with a mind scrambling Rhotuka. For one who had only mind powers, this was the ultimate torture.

“I know one who can help. If you will come to Metru Nui, she can repair your mind. Oh, Varian!”

He hugged her, joy suffusing him and his face. Varian hugged him back, her face one of total relief.

The others found them like this, kneeling by the boat, hugging and crying. As Iruini remarked, “It was a perfect picture of Unity, Duty, and Destiny coming together.”

Then they gathered their gear, and entered the boat, and left Daxia forever, leaving it to remain forsaken by all, in memory of the pain it had wrought.

3 Likes

Ooh I quite like this story. Really nice job.

But didn’t you mean Odina instead of Daxia?

1 Like

Oops! I should have checked the names. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I just thought it was kinda odd why they were on Daxia

HE SAID IT
HE SAID THE THING

4 Likes