Rukah's Moc Topic!

The torso has no real shaping at all. Yes, the front and back are covered in detail, but the sides are completely flat and featureless, which is mainly why these torsos appear brick-like, no matter how defined the rest of it is. There’s no discernible waist, which looks incredibly wrong. This, combined with shoulders as wide as her hips, makes her a proportional nightmare.

The way I see it, you’ve got two options: either widen the shoulders or properly shape the sides of the body.

I think the problem with your torsos is that you’re making them too complex. You’ve got masses of tiny, tightly packed technic parts when you’d be much better off just using some chunkier pieces. I find Vahki shins work especially well for smaller torsos, and provide adequate waist articulation.

11 Likes

I must agree with Senit, some of your torsos are too custom. just use some different pieces or copy one of my designs.
However i am digging that orange heartlight on a blue moc.

3 Likes

That was Monopoly, not me

4 Likes

Well your pfps are very similar and i haven’t slept much

5 Likes

which parts of this design do you think I should keep?

5 Likes

In my opinion the crotch specifically looks cluttered with all of the blocky system pieces. It would look better, I think, if you used a slizer foot, or a singular system piece. For instance,

3 Likes

gosh dang how didn’t I think of that
I’ll do that

4 Likes

The Mata foot on the chest is fine, and is probably the most noticeable part of the design anyway. The rest of the body is a jumble of smaller details, but the foot really stands out.

Onorahk here has a similar defining torso feature, but he uses a Vahki shin as I alluded to earlier, the angles of which perfectly complement the Mata foot.

6 Likes

Ok good.

I’ll have to do some testing

5 Likes

still brick torso

4 Likes

Ok, how’s this?

casua4

casua5

casua7

7 Likes

Do you have enough pieces to do physical MOCs?

4 Likes

well, yes and no.
I do have parts to make physical mocs, but they’re all random parts and the mocs would look really weird.
But stud.io allows me more freedom, so I like using it.

7 Likes

Well I think you should try doing physical MOCs. I feel like stud.io is great for certain things, but creativity may not be one of them. What I find with physical pieces, is that I’m forced to come up with new ways to build torsos, arms, legs, etc. as they say, necessity is the mother of invention, and since stud.io has infinite pieces, it’s never necessary to do unorthodox build techniques in order to stretch out the pieces you have left.

I think you could learn a lot by starting to do some physical MOCs, and I am very confident it could lead to you escaping these rectangular frames.

9 Likes

hmmm
I’ll have to do some experimenting then.

but is it rectangular though? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Pretty much, albeit better than before

3 Likes

That’s something

4 Likes

Anyway, I’ve changed some parts of Karusa’s torso:

karusa5

karusa3

karusa2

karusa1

Edit:
made some new renders as well:

6 Likes

ok here’s another moc
Ohira, Toa of Lightning:
Front:

Back:

Side view:

Head area:
ohira4
Electricity Blade:

Also, the inika shoulder plate used for the torso would be this, and the lower leg pieces would be this.

10 Likes

Blue? Check
Orange? Check
Me Like

3 Likes