Seekers of Shadows (Book #1 of Altered Legends)

Hello, there. I’m new to the boards but have been a long time BIONICLE fan and fan-fic writer. I’ve been mostly active on the Custom Bionicle Wiki, where I’ve published my Empire of Makuta Saga (under the name DarthVorath). For those interested, you can check that out. This is a new story, however, and is set in an alternate universe where the 2005 storyline starts out… a little differently. See if you can spot the difference.

PROLOGUE

Toa Onewa was feeling seasick.

A violent jolt sent him crashing into the wall of the transport, not for the first time. Another sent him tumbling back and landing on his rear end, while Whenua tripped over his foot and landed mask-first onto the floor. Nearby, Nokama and Nuju were waving their arms frantically in order to keep their balance while Vakama was pressed against a wall, his arms wrapped tightly around a beam for support.

As the transport bounced along the ocean waves, Onewa shot an annoyed look in the direction of the Toa Metru’s green-armored pilot. “Ever thought about driving like a normal person, Matau?”

“I’m sorry, have you piloted a ship through a nasty-bad storm before?” the Toa of Air shot back. “Because if so, by all means take the wheel!”

“Enough,” said Vakama. “Do you see any sign of land?”

“I can’t see anything!” Matau exclaimed. He jerked the controls of the transport to avoid crashing into a barrier, knocking the other Toa off their feet once more.

Pushing Whenua off of him, Onewa got onto his hands and knees and pushed himself up onto his feet, placing a hand on either wall to keep himself standing. Carefully, he made his way over to the front of the transport and came to stand behind Matau in the pilot’s seat. Indeed, it was nearly impossible to see anything through the heavy rain as the crashing waves carried the transport along the Silver Sea. Whether they were getting any closer to Metru Nui than when they had first passed the Great Barrier was anyone’s guess.

“I don’t suppose a certain someone could use his mask to light the way?” Onewa called back.

“Do you really think I would be able to concentrate in these conditions?” retorted Whenua.

“I would think you would be able to make yourself somewhat useful.”

“Stop bickering!” said Nokama. “We’re not going to get to Metru Nui any faster if we keep fighting with one another.”

“Wait!” Matau exclaimed, his face lighting up. “I think I see the shore! We’re—”

A massive tidal wave suddenly rose from the sea and launched the transport several feet into the air, sending its passengers flying out of the vehicle. As the six Toa Metru fell back towards the sea, Onewa spent the few seconds he had before becoming submerged beneath the water deciding that he really, really hated the ocean.

Toa Vakama awoke to the taste of mud in his mouth. It took him a moment to realize this, as he had never had the opportunity to taste it before. After deciding it was definitely not to his liking, he scrambled up to his knees and spat it out, shaking his head in revulsion.

He looked around to survey the results of their arrival to the shores of Metru Nui. The storm had calmed to a light drizzle. Pieces of the Lhikan II were scattered across the beach, with tiny crabs crawling on top and inspecting them. They immediately scattered when the wreck shifted and Onewa popped out from underneath, an unpleasant look on his face.

“Well, that stunk,” the Toa of Stone muttered.

Another figure emerged from behind him, coughing at the cloud of dirt he had kicked up. “It would appear there was an error in our transport,” said Nuju. The scope of his white mask narrowed as he focused it on Matau, who was sticking out from what was left of the transport’s cockpit. “Pilot error.”

“Hey!” Matau exclaimed in protest. “You try piloting a poorly put-together transport through a storm! See if you can do better!”

“At least we made it one piece,” said Nokama, stepping out from the water. “Even if we can’t say the same about our ride.”

“Well, hopefully we’ll be able to find something together for the trip back,” said Whenua. The Toa of Earth walked over to Matau and pulled him out of the wreckage. “I’m sure there are still some Vahki Transports back at the Coliseum.”

“This is going to take forever, at the rate we’re going,” grumbled Onewa as he rose up. “We’ve only rescued, what, six spheres so far? And we lost one along the way, after dealing with a crazy Matoran and an evil talking plant.”

“Maybe we can find some Airships in Le-Metru,” suggested Nokama. “Those should be large enough to carry the remaining spheres. Right, Vakama?”

“Huh?” Vakama shook his head, not realizing he had been standing in one spot without having said a word. “Oh. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.”

Onewa tilted his head. “You feeling all right, fire-spitter? You’re not having another one of those visions, are you?”

“No, not a vision,” the Toa of Fire quietly replied. “It’s just that… something feels off about this.”

“Off about what?” asked Nuju.

“The city.” Vakama gestured to the rest of Metru Nui, which appeared to have gone untouched since they had left. “I don’t know what it is about it. It just doesn’t feel right.”

“It’s probably because it’s never been this quiet,” whispered Nokama. “Usually everything would be bustling with activity, but instead there’s… nothing. It’s all very… quiet.”

“Then let’s get a move on before the silence gets to our heads,” said Onewa. “Which way to Le-Metru?”

“Actually, I think we’re already there,” said Matau. He indicated the remains of green-colored structures laying up ahead. “We can probably find some Airships at the Moto-Hub. What’s left of it, anyway.”

“Let’s not waste any time then,” Vakama said, taking the lead. “Let’s go rescue the Matoran.”

With that, the six Toa Metru ventured into the ruins of Metru Nui, not knowing what awaited them in what remained of the City of Legends.

7 Likes

CHAPTER ONE

Toa Matau grimaced as he picked up the piece of an Airship. There were plenty of them scattered across the ruins of the Moto-Hub, as well as outside in the streets of Le-Metru. Clearly, the great cataclysm that Makuta had wrought when he cast Mata Nui into slumber had not been kind to the Moto-Hub and its contents. Or the rest of Metru Nui, for that matter.

Matau could tell the others were staring at him as he stood amid the wreckage. From behind him, Nuju asked, “Do you know how to put one back together?”

“Yeah,” Matau replied, not sounding a hundred percent certain. “Kinda. I usually had other Le-Matoran working with me, though. Lots of them, at that.”

Onewa sighed as he picked up another piece. “Well, we might as well get to work. You’re gonna have to guide us, though.”

Matau shook his head as he dropped the piece he was holding. “There’s no point. It will take forever-long. Even if you guys were smart-thinking Le-Matoran, there’s not enough of us to build an Airship in less than a few days. The Matoran don’t have that kind of time.”

“We would probably need something that can fix things quickly,” mused Whenua. “Maybe we could use a regeneration Kanoka disk.”

“Even the highest-level regeneration disk would barely be enough to repair something as large as an Airship,” said Vakama. “And we would need lots of them.”

“What about a mask then?” asked Onewa. “You’re the mask maker here. Surely there’s a mask you could make out of a disk like that.”

Vakama thought for a moment. “There is, actually,” he said. “The Kanohi Kiril, the Mask of Regeneration. Turaga Dume wore one, I believe.”

At this, Nokama perked up. “Wait. Turaga Dume… he’s still in one of the spheres, beneath Po-Metru.”

Vakama nodded. “That he is, sister.” The Toa Metru had discovered the sleeping form of Metru Nui’s Turaga shortly before their confrontation with Makuta, at which point they had deduced that the Turaga Dume who had branded them as impostors was in fact the real impostor; that impostor having been Makuta himself.

“Except Dume didn’t have his mask when we found him,” Nuju pointed out. “Makuta had it. Meaning it’s either with him or back at the Coliseum, if it’s even still intact.”

“Well, no way are we break-freeing Makuta from his prison,” said Matau. “So I guess to the Coliseum it is!”

The Toa of Air started to leave only for Nokama to grab his arm. “Wait,” she said. “Shouldn’t we check on Turaga Dume to make sure he’s still safe?”

“Po-Metru is on the other end of the island,” said Onewa. “With the chutes not working, it would be a long journey. Plus, those spheres are heavy. You expect us to carry him all the way back to the Coliseum?”

“We’ll go to the Coliseum and get his mask, then we’ll get his mask,” Vakama said. The tone in his voice indicated there was little room for argument.

Nokama looked uncertainly towards the Toa of Fire. He was already striding out of the Moto-Hub, his back to her. With a quiet sigh, Nokama walked after him, with the other four Toa trailing close behind.

Far off the coast of Metru Nui, trapped within a seal of protodermis, Makuta was growing restless.

The first stage of his plan had not turned out the way he had expected. Although he had been successful in placing a spell on Mata Nui and lulling the Great Spirit into a deep slumber, his plan to brainwash and enslave the Matoran population of Metru Nui had been botched by the city’s new Toa defenders.

How could this have been possible? The stars had foretold a different set of Matoran that were destined to become Toa and Makuta had manipulated Toa Lhikan into transferring his power to the wrong ones. Yet still they had managed to stop him… but not for long. Makuta knew it was only a matter of time before he finally broke free from this prison. It was simply when and how that were in question.

He had reached out with his mind to two of his most trusted minions, Sidorak and Roodaka, in order to summon them and the Visorak Hordes to Metru Nui. However, something had blocked him and his message had gone unreceived. Who or what was responsible for this interference, Makuta did not know, which only infuriated him more.

Still, he had to remain calm. Blind rage would get him nowhere. Besides, he could sense that the six Toa responsible for his current predicament had returned to Metru Nui. Their powers were the only thing that could free him from this prison. All he needed to do was direct them towards doing just that.

An opportunity would present itself eventually, he knew. He simply needed to wait. Then, once he was free, the Toa Metru would learn the full extent of his wrath… and the Great City would finally be his.

With the chute system having been destroyed in the cataclysm, the trip from Le-Metru to the Coliseum had taken much longer than it normally would have. Matau had tried to pass the time by entertaining the others with his Mask of Illusion, though it was more for his own amusement than for anyone else’s. His fun came to an abrupt end when Onewa threatened to throw a rock at Matau after the Toa of Air had scared him with the form of the late Dark Hunter Nidhiki.

“Sheesh, some stick in the mud you are,” Matau grumbled as he returned to his original form. “I thought Stone-types like you were fun-lovers.”

“It’s hard to be a ‘fun-lover’ when your city is dead and all of your friends are trapped in stasis spheres,” Onewa retorted.

Those words cut through Matau’s merriment and the Toa of Air remained quiet for the rest of the journey. None of the others spoke until they reached the Coliseum. As they walked through the front gates, stepping over the bodies of deactivated Vahki enforcers, Whenua looked up at the worn black tower that served as the centerpiece of Metru Nui, stretching up towards the blackened skies.

“How are we going to get up there?” the Toa of Earth asked. “I doubt the elevators are working after Makuta shut down the power grid.”

“Maybe Nuju can lift us all up there with that mask of his,” Matau suggested, nudging the Toa of Ice with an elbow.

Nuju frowned at him. “Very funny.” He then looked over to Vakama. “You don’t actually expect me to do that, do you?”

“No.” Vakama brought out his Disk Launcher and attached it to his back. “I’ll fly up and look for Turaga Dume’s mask. In the meantime, the rest of you head down and make sure the rest of the Matoran spheres are still safe and sound. I’ll meet up with you later.”

The Toa of Fire took off before anyone could say anything. As they watched him go, Onewa muttered, “Is it just me, or has he been acting different lately?”

Nokama nodded solemnly. “Ever since we defeated Makuta, he’s been a lot more… hot-headed, for lack of a better term. I feel like he’s trying to emulate Toa Lhikan, but he’s lacking the… humility and grace that made Lhikan so noble and revered.”

“Do you think he still blames himself for Lhikan’s death?” asked Whenua.

Nokama did not have an answer for that. Instead, she motioned the other four Toa to follow her as they headed into the Coliseum.

Vakama touched down onto the Coliseum’s highest balcony, where Makuta had revealed himself to the Toa Metru not so long ago. Seeing no sign of the Kanohi Kiril on the floor, he stepped into the chamber beyond, generating a small flame in his hand to light the way.

The throne from which the Turaga had once ruled Metru Nui sat in the center of the room, empty and unused. Outside the windows, the dark sky flashed with lightning as small drops of water trickled down the panes of glass. Beyond that, there was nothing much of interest in the room.

As Vakama explored the room, hovering his flame over the floor, he could not help but get the feeling that he was being watched. He caught movement in the corner of his eye and shined the fire in that direction, only to find nothing but a blank wall.

Must have been a Rahi, he thought. Thanks to the cataclysm, there were sure to be dozens if not hundreds of wild Rahi roaming around the city, having escaped from the Archives. If anything was going to prove to be a hindrance to the Toa in rescuing the Matoran, it was going to be that.

Turning back around, Vakama cast his light on the throne and finally spotted a red and black mask laying at the foot of the seat. With a sigh of relief, Vakama walked over to the mask and picked it up from the ground. As he was about to extinguish his flame, he could have sworn he heard the sound of skittering up in the rafters. But when he looked up and illuminated the darkness, he again saw nothing.

Figuring it was had just been a stone rat that he had scared off, Vakama put out his fire and headed back outside, activating his rocket pack to lift himself off from the balcony.

As the other five Toa Metru descended into the storage level beneath the Coliseum, Nokama could not help but feel at unease. Vakama had said earlier that something felt off about Metru Nui and she found herself agreeing with that assessment. It wasn’t just the quietness or the lack of Matoran living in the city. There was something else; something that she could not quite put into words. It hung over her like a storm cloud, filled with water yet never raining down on her.

Whenua had taken the lead, lighting the way with his Mask of Night Vision. Upon reaching the bottom of the stairway, he took a turn that took them into the main storage area… and immediately came to a stop.

“Uh… something’s not right, here,” the Toa of Earth said quietly.

“What is it?” asked Onewa.

However, Nokama could already tell what Whenua was talking about. Her eyes roamed the shelves that contained hundreds of Matoran spheres… and noticed how there were many gaps between the spheres. Too many.

“The Matoran,” she whispered. “Some of them are missing.”

“What?” Matau exclaimed, looking at the shelves. “Are you sure?”

“We only took six, yet there are a lot more than six missing here.” A look of worry and dread began to fall upon Nokama’s mask. “Someone’s been here before.”

The other Toa tensed. Matau and Onewa drew their tools, the latter gripping his Proto Pitons tightly as he scowled. “And they’re probably still here.”

Behind them, footsteps were heard coming down the stairs. Startled, Matau let out a yell as he spun around and generated a small cyclone from his Aero Slicers. The blast of wind hit its target and a red-armored figure came tumbling down the stairs, letting out a loud grunt as they hit the bottom.

Matau winced as he looked down at Vakama. “Sorry, fire-spitter. I, uh, thought you were someone else.”

Vakama glared at him as he got back up, dusting himself off. “Who else could I have been? I told you that I would be joining you.”

“Vakama, someone has been taking the Matoran spheres!” Nokama said urgently, indicating the empty spots on the shelves.

The Toa of Fire grimaced as he cast his gaze upon the shelves. Immediately, his mind went back to the “Rahi” he thought he had heard back in the Coliseum. Now, however, he was starting to realize that it might not have been a Rahi at all.

“We’re not alone,” he said in a low voice.

“Fantastic,” Matau said dryly. “And we forgot to bring the ‘welcome’ banners.”

Nokama looked to Vakama, a worried look on her blue mask. “What should we do, Vakama?”

The Toa Metru of Fire did not have an answer for her.

4 Likes

This is most certainly very good. The story sets up interesting mystery:Who blocked the summons of Visorak?, Who is stealing the spheres?, What are their plans?, Is this someone we know, or is it someone unknown?.. Will this wonderful serial be continued?

1 Like

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! The answers to your questions will be revealed as the story goes on. I’m still working on the next chapter, but I’ll hopefully have it finished soon. Thank you for reading!

2 Likes

I guess getting a reply was all the motivation I needed to finish this chapter :slight_smile: It was mostly finished anyway. Without further ado, here’s Chapter 2.

CHAPTER TWO

“So, we’re down how many Matoran spheres?”

“I counted at least twelve,” said Nuju as he and the other Toa Metru walked out of the Coliseum. “There could still be more.”

“And just how are going to look for them?” asked Onewa. “We have no idea who’s taken them or to where. We have absolutely nothing to go off of.”

“They couldn’t have gotten far,” Nokama pointed out. “They must still be in Metru Nui, unless they’ve found transportation.”

“Or they brought their own.”

Vakama brought the group to a stop at the gates to the Coliseum, turning around to face them. “All right,” he said. “Clearly we’re going to need to split up if we hope to cover enough ground and find whoever’s stolen the Matoran before it’s too late. I suggest we break off into pairs and head to each metru. Onewa and I will go to Po-Metru to rescue Turaga Dume. Whenua, Nuju, you two will head to Onu-Metru; if there’s any good place for hiding Matoran, it would be the Archives.”

“That leaves me with the lovely water-maiden!” Matau said with a wide grin. Nokama simply regarded with a weary expression.

“You two will head to Ga-Metru,” said Vakama. “Maybe you can find something at the Great Temple. We’ll meet back here in two hours.”

“And if any of us run into trouble?” Whenua asked.

“Then we’ll know where to find each other.”

Onewa shrugged. “Works for me. Let’s get going.”

Nokama looked as if she was about to say something but, seeing that the others were already heading off for their respective destinations, decided against it. “Very well,” she said quietly, turning to leave with Matau. “May the Great Spirit guide us.”

From afar, two sets of eyes watched from the shadows as the six Toa went their separate ways. One of the two beings leaned forward, flexing their claws as they bared a vicious set of teeth.

“That must be them. The Toa who killed Krekka and Nidhiki.”

“Must be,” said his companion.

“Shall we deal with them now?”

“And ruin the fun before it’s even begun? You must be new to this, my friend.”

The first being glared at the other one. “I’ve been at this just as long as you have, if not longer.”

The other being chuckled. “Then you should know that the thrill of the hunt is the most exciting part, and makes the final catch all that more satisfying.”

“Fine,” the first being acquiesced, though he did not sound all too happy about it. “So which ones do we go after first?”

“Let’s see.” The other one brought out a powerless Kanoka disk and flipped it. “Of course they had to split up into three groups instead of two. Odd numbers always makes these decisions more difficult.”

“I don’t see why you even have to do that. Just make up your mind and—”

“Tails.” The other being loaded up their projectile weapon. “We go after the red one.”

Onu-Metru, sometime later

“You know, I was really hoping I would never have to come back here.”

Whenua glanced at Nuju as the two of them stepped through the ruins of Onu-Metru, approaching the entrance to the Archives. By this time, he was well aware of the Toa of Ice’s distaste for revisiting the past, which was pretty much the essence of the Archives themselves. As a former Ko-Matoran scholar, Nuju was instead more focused on the future and had no interest in looking back at what had come before. After countless disagreements, Whenua had given up on trying to change his mind.

Still, Whenua couldn’t help but feel a bit uneasy himself about returning to the Archives. Due to the Cataclysm, the Rahi that it had once contained were sure to have been let loose and were either roaming the city or still dwelling in the underground levels beneath Onu-Metru. Not knowing what dangers awaited them, the two Toa would need to proceed with intense caution.

Upon reaching the entrance to the Archives complex, the door to which had fallen off, Whenua activated his mask power and cast a light into the dark room. Abandoned tools and materials lay scattered across the floor of the lobby. Whenua shuddered at the eerie sight, knowing that mere days ago Onu-Matoran that he had considered to be his friends had been working here only to be abruptly recalled by the false Turaga Dume, who had lured them to the predicament all of the Matoran were currently in. He didn’t believe he had ever seen the Archives this empty and quiet before.

The two Toa Metru soon reached the first of the vast Archives’ many levels. Even with Whenua’s Mask of Night Vision still on, it was difficult to navigate through the darkness.

“I really hope we don’t run into any old friends here,” Nuju muttered.

“Old friends?” Whenua asked.

“You know what I’m talking about. Like that mutant Ussal crab. Or that shapeshifting room. Or even that two-headed Tarakava. Where do you Archivists even find things like that?”

“Most of the time, others find them for us. Our job is just to preserve them and make sure they don’t cause any more harm… or that others don’t cause harm to them.”

Nuju scoffed. “If you really want to make sure of that, then I say just find some way to dispose of them.”

At this, Whenua stopped and turned to face Nuju. The Toa of Ice shielded his eyes as his brother’s mask glowed in his face.

“How can you say something like that?” Whenua snapped. “Rahi are living creatures, just like us!”

Nuju shook his head. “Not like us. They’re just savage beasts that can’t tell a Matoran apart from its dinner. They— for Mata Nui’s sake, will you shine that light somewhere else?”

Scowling, Whenua turned his back to the Toa of Ice, still fuming over his words. “They’re still alive. They still have thoughts and emotions, like us. Just because they’re more primitive or ‘simple’ than us doesn’t mean we can just rob them of their lives like that.”

“But when a Rahi turns out to be so dangerous to the livelihoods of others that it can barely be tamed, what does that tell you?”

Whenua did not have an answer for that. “Let’s just focus on the mission,” he muttered instead as he pressed onward.

The further along they went down the corridor, the more unsettled Whenua felt with how… quiet everything was. He knew why it was quiet, and would probably be more bothered if things weren’t quiet as it would have meant that they weren’t alone. But since Vakama had deduced that they were, in fact, not alone made the silence that more eerie and unsettling. The fact that they had yet to come across any wild Rahi yet did not make him feel better.

“Do you think the Rahi are hiding from us?” Whenua wondered aloud. “Would explain why they haven’t come out to greet us — kindly or otherwise.”

Nuju did not answer him.

Whenua rolled his eyes. “Look, we’ve had disagreements over things before. There’s no need to act petulant over this one. Surely the Matoran matter more than this.”

Still, the Toa of Ice said nothing.

The Toa of Earth huffed as he turned around, not caring if Nuju complained about the brightness from his mask. “Come on, don’t act so—”

He immediately stopped talking when he realized that Nuju was no longer standing behind him. Looking around, he could see no opening that the Toa of Ice could have gone through or fallen.

“Nuju?” he called out, brandishing his Earthshock Drills as he scanned the space before him with the light from his mask. “Where are you?”

He heard movement behind him and he turned around, expecting to see Nuju safe and sound. Instead, he was greeted by the sight of a tall, gangling being with thin, wiry limbs. Their armor was a mismatch of silver and gold over dark blue and green. Red eyes glowed from their large crowned head, staring down at Whenua with a look of contempt.

The Toa of Earth stepped back, raising his tools defensively. “Who are you?” he demanded.

“Not so loud,” groaned the other being, sounding more annoyed than angry.

Before Whenua could make a move, he felt something hard strike him in the back and he instantly seized up, unable to move. He then felt something — or someone — rob him of his tools as the wiry being in front of him stepped forward to grab him.

“That’s two of them down,” it said. “How many more to go?”

“Not enough, for my liking,” said another being, one Whenua could not see as the wiry one picked him up and slung him over his shoulder. “I’m already starting to enjoy this.”

“Let’s wait until the others report back. If we don’t hear from them in the next couple of hours, then we join in on the hunt.”

Unable to so much as whisper, Whenua could only listen to his own mind scream as the Dark Hunters carried him into the depths of the Archives.

4 Likes

I think I’ve figured it out:
This is closer to Greg’s interpretation where Vakama doesn’t turn evil. (The fact that his lines and demeanor are much less cocky this time around is what leads me to this conclusion.)
This just leaves one question, now:
Will Matau turn evil, or will it be…
Onewa…?

Oh. The plot twist is that elements of Time Trap happen early, preventing Web of Shadows from taking place (at least thus-far, anyway).

Keep up the good work!:+1:
My appetite has been whetted for more.:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

The title of this excellent piece seems to be allusion to Dark Hunters. Is that correct? Also, two Toa Metru are captured by the Hunters, but that is still better than all six of them being captured by Visorak in original timeline.

1 Like

Yes, you and @Jathru_Cranli are both correct. The Dark Hunters are the villains in this alternate timeline. The title is from a descriptor Toa Gaaki gave them in one of the story serials.

I’m glad you guys are enjoying the story. Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten around to work on the next chapter because I’ve been busy. It might be a while but I hope to get back to it soon.

Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

No pressure, man!:+1:
I prefer quality over quantity.:+1:

1 Like