Set Review: 70607 Ninjago City Chase!

With all the recent hype for the LEGO Ninjago Movie, I figured what better way to celebrate that by doing another set Review! So without further ado:

This set is number 70607, titled 'Ninjago City Chase, comes with approximately 233 pieces and retails for $29.99 AUD.

I managed to get it on sale at my local hobby store, bringing the price down to around $23, and really nailing that 10c per part ratio. And what a use of parts!

Nothing feels wasted, and while the build is simple, it retains an elegance and an attention to detail more commonly seen in fan MOCs than actual sets (a sentiment I’ve been echoing aplenty with all the Ninjago Movie sets).

The set comes with three smalls builds, which is a bit of an interesting choice for such a small set, risking coming off as thin or empty. However, by choosing subjects which by nature look that way to begin with, it allows the set to still feel complete.

The first of these builds is Officer Toques police rickshaw:

This is an interesting and unique vehicle to get in LEGO form, and while being a fairly straightforward build, still makes the most of the parts and space available, with details like shiny ‘glass’ mirrors and even footplates on the side.

The next build is Ham’s fruit stand, or the creatively titled ‘Shop:’

With a simple and stylish oriental design, and a creative use of parts all around, this little setpiece is gorgeous. With the extended counter giving the illusion of depth, and nicely angled trays and baskets of food, this is fantastic. During the build, I was impressed by the creativity in the lantern mountings and awning design, actually limiting the movement of the awning - no more fiddling to get moving parts lining up!

One of the best things about this line imho, is the use of this pseudo-language. It blends English with a sort of Neo Tokyo style calligraphy, and I love it! It lends an authenticity to the line rarely achieved in LEGO.

The rear of the build is a bit lackluster, however even then it is mostly shaped and covered.

The third and final build is my personal favourite part of the set; The over-street lantern structure:

I mean, is this gorgeous or what! A simple, stylish post, an elegant rope with simple and creative lanterns, and phenomenal neon signage, really selling that Neo-tokyo vibe.
The four signs read (left to right); ‘New Town,’ ‘Arlo,’ ‘Hotel,’ and ‘Up Town.’ I mean come on - it’s just awesome!

Not only are the builds great, but the Minifigure selection is fantastic; 5 minifigs in a $30 set? Yes Please!

The set comes with Ham, with a decent face print, although tricky to use outside a similar scene, and one of the new straw hats.

Officer Toque (a member of the super-secret-police) has a good face print, and nice detailing on his body. There’s a great cop helmet, and the everpresent Lego handcuffs.

The shark army Thug is nicely detailed, and although I’m not a huge fan of the shark army minifigures (that blue, and whole oversized costume heads thing), it’s a decent Minifigure, and has a rather nice face print. The goofy hammer is goofy, and while the blue fish piece is nice, I feel that he could do without it.

Then we move on to the heroes of the set:
Nya has her great new hairpiece, and a nice double-sided face, with some really useful expressions. Her ripped jeans are fantastic, and her torso has a great jacket print. In addition, it’s great to get the cellphone piece, which I believe is the same as the one in the Spiderman Homecoming sets.

And last but not least, L-loyd himself! With a stylish green hoodie, and a great new hairpiece, this Minifigure looks fantastic. However, the green hoodie spilling onto the legs, while a great detail, limits their reusability. In addition, while I appreciate the two subtle face prints to add to his repertoire, I feel like the lack of an ‘angry’ style face hurts this set as a standalone.

Overall, I feel like this set is great at its RRP of $30, and a must-have if you can pick it up on sale. With five Minifigures, three gorgeous builds (have I mentioned I love the Neo-tokyo vibe in this set?), this set really demonstrates the creativity and aesthetic opportunities available in LEGO system form.

Feel free to post your thoughts down below, and I always like feedback on my review structure.

7 Likes

Great minifigures and a characteristic glimpse of Ninjago city; I’d say it’s a win for me!

1 Like

where did you buy this set its? its $19.99 everywhere else

2 Likes

I’m going from the official LEGO RRP, I bought it at a local store which had a sale on. We’ve always got a bit of a markup in Australia.

1 Like