Should Stone stay in G3?

This is my opinion on the subject, as well. I feel like Pohatu’s Mask of Speed and personality go well with air, while Lewa works just as well with plantlife. Hey, it even gives him a reason to need a Mask of Levitation. :stuck_out_tongue:

If color scheme is an issue, I would think tan and sand green would work for air, while dark browns and greens convey a nature feel.

A real earthquake, being an earthquake on earth. They aren’t creating earthquakes on earth. They’re creating earthquakes in an artificial universe inside a robot. While it’s easiest to assume that it functions the same way, it’s not very logical. What purpose does the GSR have for tectonic plates? Or naturally occurring earthquakes, for that matter? MU residents might just call what Toa of Earth do an “earthquake” because they’re the only reason such an event has occurred.

You are right, but I’d like to point out that this is about G3, which might not take place in a giant robot.

Still, though the G3 villagers:

~W12~

True, forgot about that.

that is very interesting to think about, what if a toa of jungle against destroying life, and more for preserving it. it could be his whole thing that he never hurts anybody. Not even a fly or flower. and when he fights he never actively trys to attack, he only defends. Kind of like in the martial arts of aikido. you always use the opponents force against him.

Anyways, to the original question: in G1, the toa are sent to mata nui in the first three years. Say onua would use his earthquake powers on mata nui. since we later find out that mata nui is just covering a giant robots face, that must mean that there are no tectonic plates. So thats why I believe that when a toa of earth uses his earthquake powers, he is just moving alot of dirt in a certain way, giving the impression of an earthquake.

but what do you think?

-Ace

I always imagined it as above/below ground split for stone and earth, Pohatu can attack with boulders and sand or dirt, creating sandstorms or projectile weapons and Onua attacks using earthquakes or creating spikes from the ground. I’d be interested to see if we could use crystals in either, such as crystal spikes or something. Overall I think stone should stay and jungle/air become a secondary element with the other remaining primary.

Yeah that’s pretty much it :slight_smile:, all the Toa could technically control Air due to their colour, but it definitely would fit Pohatu best due to his Personality an Powers.

But then they’re literally the same substance, just in different places. That’s not a reasonable distinction. If I bury a rock, it’s still a rock. I keep hearing this argument in support of keeping Stone, and it’s just not valid.

1 Like

Not really correct. Rocks are made up of minerals, earth/dirt is made up of organic material, clay, sand and rocks. So how is that the same substance?

-Ace

He didn’t mention soil at all; though, like you said, soil is partially comprised of rock. This brings up a logical quandry of what Toa of Earth actually control, since soil isn’t just one uniform substance, but a tremendous mixture; this makes it an outlier among all the other elements.

1 Like

Well, if you think about it, not exactly. While it is true that soil used to be seperate materials it has now, after many years of weathering and erosion, become basically uniform.

Here is some information I have found on wikipedia:

“Soil is a mixture of minerals, organic matter, gases, liquids, and countless organisms that together support life on Earth.
Soil is a product of the influence of climate, relief (elevation, orientation, and slope of terrain), organisms, and its parent materials (original minerals) interacting over time.”

-Ace

So…it is a mixture. Whether or not it looks uniform isn’t the point; a lot of deadly chemicals happen to look rather like water, but as my middle-school science teacher liked to joke, “Johnny was a chemist, but Johnny is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4.”

2 Likes

so what you are saying is, because you can find rocks in soil/earth they should be the same?
Because then we have another problem. Ice and water are the same chemical, just in a different state.should they be merged together like rock and earth? And you can find iron and sand in earth to, so is should these four elements be one?

-Ace

That’s not what I’m saying here. I’m saying soil isn’t just one, single substance, but a mix of many (which, yes, does include rocks); and that Toa of Earth must, therefore, be controlling this mix of several different things, which calls into question A. what they’re actually controlling and B. why this is the only element with that quality.

They are in different states of matter and have different properties. If you have a Toa of Lightning on a team with Toa of Ice and Water, only the latter Toa will have synergy with the Toa of Lightning because Ice isn’t a conductor.

Iron is metal and thus different from rock entirely, it just happens to be inside rock in nature. Toa of Iron could extract it from the rock and use it by itself. Sand is pointless as its own element because it’s literally just tiny rocks and, thus, should just be Stone.

1 Like

Ok, now that I’ve finally managed to reach the bottom of this topic while being constantly interrupted by this exact argument off topic over in the polls, here’s the main reason it’s a bad idea to change the elements:

People don’t like change. I know, this is a terrible reason, but it’s true. Go check the polls, most people prefer air over jungle. If you look at which elements people want in G3, the first six are the main six elements from G1. This a problem whenever something gets rebooted. People don’t like when changes are made to the things they love. Do you remember how people reacted to the air/jungle change at the beginning of G2? Or the fact that the mask powers were gone? People don’t like big changes, and changing a character’s element is a HUGE change.

2 Likes

We are not discussing whether it will be well-received. If it would hurt the line, then that is a different matter. We are discussing the subject of whether or not it is an objective improvement; whether the roster of elements is somehow better off this way.

And as long as something is changed, anything at all, there will be salt over it. Even if it has no effect whatsoever, someone–usually a vocal minority, mind you–will point and shout “RUINED FOREVER!”

1 Like

Actually, I asked my chemistry teacher this exact question today, apperantly sand is made up of mostly silica and rocks of minerals.
so this is my theory.
A toa of (insert element here) can control his element as long as a specific substance is the most prominent in the element(protodermis does not affect this).

Lets take a toa of sand for example.
The most common thing you will find in sand is silica. of course, since in the MU everything is made of protodermis in some way or another, it will also be in the element.

Protodermis(35%)+ pure Silica(30%)+all other chemicals in sand(35%)= sand that the toa can control

But if say, another substance where introduced, like Minerals, and there is more of a percentage of minerals than there is silica, then a toa of stone can control the element.

Protodermis(35%)+Minerals(30%)+ all other chemicals in stones(35%, silica now falls into this category)= stones that a toa of stone can control

Hope this makes sense, tried my best to explain what I mean

-Ace

imo the separation of earth and stone limits there powers, having a merged version could easily be to powerful, and susceptible to power creep

So, like I said, it’s made of rock. As Wikipedia says, “Sand is a naturally occurring granular material composed of finely divided rock and mineral particles.”

This now delves into the realm of scientific jargon that kids aren’t really going to get. They’ll think “this is sand” and not comprehend this chemical stuff.

First, that’s not really the case. Earth is already a really powerful element because you can just tear up the ground your enemies stand on and crush them; and power creep isn’t a thing outside of video games because it’s dependent on players choosing certain characters or weapons over others.

1 Like

but it still makes sense, right? I mean, I wasn´t exactly keeping G3 in mind sorry. the scientific jargon still makes sense, what do you think?

-Ace

yes it’s powerful but with the separation of stone puts a limit on that, and while it may not have been the intention it had that effect

that’s not exactly true, it’s just more prevalent there