Should the Toa of Lightning's name be Voriki? [Characters]

If I knew you guys were going to get this upset I wouldn’t have made the joke alright? It was a joke about how you’re making a lot of changes, I realize I’ve been, critical, of a lot of the changes, but I’m not going to be straight faced petty about them.
I’m sorry, I honestly didn’t expect anyone to take that seriously, regardless, posthumous /s for what it’s worth.
At this point I’d be surprised if you guys don’t hate me.

1 Like

I’m going to have to concur with the idea of calling her Chiara- mostly because I can’t keep a straight face when considering a Voriki actually being the seventh Toa.

Also, might I ask why we’re doing lightning as the “special” element in a story sense? Like I get that it’s the most reasonable of the official “secondary” elements as far as clear powersets go, but it doesn’t actually seem particularly special or powerful. Generally when you think of the special or secret character, they’re kind of a deus ex machina… How would lightning be effective at fulfilling that role whereas something like fire wouldn’t?

Sorry if that second paragraph’s sorta off-topic

5 Likes

Okay, can we not?
We good? good.

I talk a lot with Jak off-site, but surprisingly I have never talked about this yet to him. Kudos, Jak. You’ve got a better memory of G1 than I’ll ever have.

[spoiler]Because y’know, them seventh Toa rumours, they leave scars n’ stuff, and the memes can only numb them, but only an ironic and somewhat c9ontroversil twist can take them away

/s[/spoiler]

2 Likes

It can be made special and powerful. This is a fantasy setting, after all - lightning could be set up as the most powerful known element during the first three years, barring light and shadow.

Nah, it wasn’t from memory. I stumbled upon it while doing research recently. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What why was that a quote to me I didn’t say that

And you’re right, it has a lot of potential for power here. Keep in mind, we are talking lightning-bolts, the same things that fry people in an instant and can blow stuff up. Being able to pulls those out of thin air is incredibly useful.

EDIT: and it edited his post without saying it edited his post, nice

1 Like

While that’s true, we’d have to find a good reason to build it up that way. Take light in G1, for instance; it was super effective because the big bad’s element is shadow. Yet I’m having trouble seeing how lightning would especially counter… well, anything besides maybe water, actually.

Like yeah,

But couldn’t Tahu pretty much do the same thing with fireballs(or just instantaneous combustion) if he’s powerful enough? That could be mitigated by making the Toa of lightning immediately more powerful, but that’s kind of contrived.

Perhaps we could make the element Energy rather than lightning in a more technical sense?

2 Likes

Yeah, good point. I’d considered the same thing. I don’t have a good answer, yet.

At that rate, I feel like we’re almost back to Light. IDK.

2 Likes

Lightning, being what it is- lightning- can counter basically any element because it’s too quick. Just like how light is incredibly fast, so is lightning, and a dirt wall wouldn’t be erected fast enough to counter it. The only one who would have a chance would be Pohatu or sanik

1 Like

I hate to self-plug but… Can she be Volu? :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally think a purple colorscheme with yellow/trans yellow highlights would work the best. Also I like the name Chiara versus Voriki.

Hmm. What if there were two toa of lightning? It could be Chiara and Voriki (and if romance is canon) then they can be married or whatever. (just spitballing ideas, by the way).

Thoughts?

3 Likes

Yes. Voriki, friend to animals, recycler of waste, supporter of moderated government spending, must be remain virtually unchanged from the original meme in 2002.

8 Likes

In my opinion, I think Voriki works fine. It’s a short and easy name to remember. The only problem is that it hasn’t been officially approved by LEGO.

1 Like

Voriki is Voriki. No changes.

1 Like

I mean…

We’ve been trying to get Good buy canonized forever now, let us have this.

(But for real Chiara is probably the better pick)

1 Like

For everyone advocating for purple lightning, I’d like to bring to your attention this article on TVtropes.

Essentially, this article discusses the trope of having color coded elements. Fire is red, water is blue, etc. To quote directly from this article,

Lightning: When Lightning is treated as a separate element (sometimes, it gets lumped with air/weather), it’s pretty much always yellow. In the rare cases it isn’t yellow, it will be electric blue, purple (thunder clouds), or white."

Looking through the examples cited on this page, it appears that yellow lightning is indeed the most common. The second most common is blue, but given that two of our heroes use that color, that’s not really an option. Same goes for white. Purple is rarely used outside of photography, something I doubt most kids care about.

I mean, just look at literally anything that uses a lightning bolt symbol. 9 times out of 10, that symbol will be yellow. Look at weather forecasts. Look at clip art. Look at The Flash, Samus, Pikachu, and dozens more. When a kid draws a thunderstorm in crayon, they don’t reach for the purple crayon. They reach for the yellow.

I’m not saying purple cannot communicate lightning, because apparently many of you feel it does. I’m saying that yellow communicates it more directly and universally, and is therefore a better choice for our Toa.

4 Likes

I´d like Voriki to be a thing. I wouldn´t mind her being a female, and I wouldn´t mind yellow for main colour, as long as the mask is slightly similar to the original Voriki design (you know, that altered Pakari with little bolts) and there´s purple, to a small capacity (like maybe secondary colour or little details).

Another problem would be making a Nuva symbol for her.

FTFY.
Voriki wasn’t a character in anything ever, and as such has no personality or gender at all.

And an orange Toa of Stone does?

That aside though, I actually don’t think she should be Voriki. That’s a hard thing to say, because I actually really want it to be Voriki, but I don’t think it’s a good idea, for a few reasons:

1. Voriki has no personality. With the Toa, you can bank on the familiarity with their pre-established personalities, even if you modify them to some degree, so long as you still have a well-written character. coughcoughunlikeG2coughcough You can’t do that with Vorikvi. Even Chiara has more character.
  2. Voriki was never an approved name. TTV has said that they want to limit themselves to names from G1/2, citing the legal name approval as one of the reasons. Well, Voriki was never used, and if LEGO were to make a G3, it’s very possible they couldn’t use the name Voriki.
  3. Voriki isn’t a character, but a meme that is still referenced by the fanbase. Voriki isn’t a part of BIONICLE, Vorki isn’t what made BIONICLE great, Voriki is a joke, literally. It would be great, actually, to reference that joke, maybe something along the lines of some Lightning villager cameo named Voriki, but making her a main character is going too far with an old dumb joke, and I don’t think it’s something LEGO would do, either.

~W12~

6 Likes

Why not make her, purple as primer, yellow as the secondary, & some hints of white, and problem solved!

Do worried they might make one for her or used that non-canon Takanuva’s Nuva symbol.

*canon

What are you talking about Voriki is what made Bionicle what it was Hau dare you mess up my perception you will be speaking to my lawyer

/s

W12 brings up a really good point here, guys. Aside from some controversy on MaskOfDestiny, Voriki really doesn’t have anything to his (I’m using his because it’s the grammar-correct gender neutral) name aside from being purple and a really weird photoshop attempt. The fact that he exists doesn’t make him a twistable resource because he’s not a resource to begin with. If TTV or anyone wants to do a G3, and wants a lightning Toa cameo somehow, they should stick with predetermined guidelines and either reuse an existing canon character or come up with a new one.

I’m not sure how TTV is going to pull this off, seeing as what they’ve said thus far is set in stone (even Voriki’s name) and already poses several major problems, but it’s their boat to float nonetheless.

Which is why it would be much better to create a new character for this role.

1 Like

http://dreamicus.com/data/desert/desert-01.jpg

Funnily enough, I’d say it fits pretty well.

That is exactly my point that I presented in the initial post. If you’re going to have a yellow female Voriki, why bother having Voriki at all?

5 Likes