Source 2

The engine was "officially' announced recently for use in a DOTA 2 remake.
I'm personally waiting for them to release the API so I can get started coding up my own games I'm sort of stuck until they do. So I guess what I'm getting at is why don't we talk about it.

2 Likes

I'm hoping they can use the engine to make new games cough half-life 3 cough

2 Likes

There is only one thing I want. Even more than DOTA 2, or Half Life 3, or Portal 3, or any of that.

I want Source Filmmaker 2, and I want them to take advantage of the new engine to be able to do more than just capture TF2 footage. It's such a powerful tool, but if you're not into doing TF2 animations, so much of it would be lost.

My dream was that Valve would buy Minecraft back when it was big and port it over to the Source Engine, so that you could capture, edit and release Minecraft animations in-game. That would have changed everything. Sadly, nothing came of that.

2 Likes

I actually had an idea of making a Minecraft: Source, but I canceled it because it was too ambitious and I didn't have that much coding skill at the time.

However, you can still make Minecraft animations using the Minecraft Model Pack though or use Mineimator.

Anyways, on topic.

Hopefully they find a way to allow you to port your Source 2013 mods to the engine. Would love to port FIREFIGHT RELOADED to it.

1 Like

Mineimator is a deceptively powerful tool that I used for BioCraft. It's absurdly simple, but it can turn out some fantastic animation if used correctly. It's ideal for kids who want to just learn the principles of animation.

1 Like