Standardized tests

Oh well my mistake, I thought you made a typo. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

In Oregon we have the “Smarter Balance Assessment Consortium.”

Which is shortened to “SBAC.”

The SBAC is basically rigged for the math.

2 Likes

Heh and the PARCC is rigged for language arts.

I don’t really mind standardized tests, only because I find them incredibly easy :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In Massachusetts we have MCAS. Luckily this is the last year I have to do it.

2 Likes

Let me tell you

SBAC math is the most BS thing I have ever done, and I’m in geometry

They make an 8th grader learn about volumes of 3d objects
which is specifically only for geometry students
and I haven’t even learned 3d volumes

not to mention other dumb stuff such as trying to find the fraction equivalent for a repeating decimal, as if that’s of any use.

I can say for sure I almost broke down in the computer lab and for 5 straight minutes pushed down really hard on my unsharpened pencil and did my scratchwork in big letters and numbers

because a month of Khan Academy does nothing for BS state tests
ever

3 Likes

a friend of mine wrote a 7 paragraph essay describing what he ate for breakfast for his

but yeah, standardized testing is trash

2 Likes

Common Core is trash, it teaches kids that objective based questions like math problems dont a right answer, but the effort is worth commending.

That is terrible.

As for me, I’m currently residing in Mongolia and going to a private school. We have monthly tests that are basic. It asks you what you’ve learned and if you’re right thats good.

I feel that is the way tests should be. Asking things you have learned.

With that being said, schools should teach more meaningful things.

to conclude my rambling. “regular” tests are fine, but the subjects & way they are being taught need to change. As for common core, that can go die out.

7 Likes

Well, I’m a junior, so I’m pretty much done with the actual school tests (I took the Keystones and the PSSAs).

Now I just have the dreaded SATs, and also an AP test.

And I don’t like them. I don’t think they are an accurate measure of someone’s capability or the effectiveness of a school’s teaching. All it really tests is one’s ability to memorize, study, and take tests effectively for a long period of time.

1 Like

A necessary evil.

PARCC is Satan.

Surprisingly, though, for the 1st year my school took it, I got somewhere in the 4 range, while most everybody else got within the 3 range.

It’s actually completely unnecessary. Sweden has some of the best education in the world and it doesn’t have standardized tests. You know why? Because they fit education to however someone wants to learn. You can pick a career and learn about that for most of your time in school.

All standardized tests do is expect everyone to reach the same level of intelligence when frankly not everyone can be the same.

Take a tree-climbing contest. You have a bear, a fish, and a horse. You tell them all you can how to climb that tree. But you have three vastly different individuals there, so only one of them, the bear, will be able to climb that tree.

Standardized tests only make it so you learn a linear type of education. All it does is expect everyone to learn the same thing. But that shouldn’t be what education is about. Education should be fitted to deal with different types of people. One size does NOT fit all when it comes to standardized tests.

People in Northern Europe understand this. Places like America do not.

9 Likes

We take so many more tests in our school life than other countries.
Some countries have only three. Ever.
Some don’t have any, like you said.
But Americans have more than I can count.

3 Likes

I never had a problem with standardized tests. I guessed mainly on math, but did pretty well. For the reading part, I got perfect scores.

1 Like

I would tell you if I had a problem with standardized tests, but I don’t know what they are

Big talk for Sweden which never had any war, or structural destruction, or territory problems, or social problems…not everyone is Sweden you know.

1 Like

You must have not studied Sweden’s history before. The Thirty Year’s War, look it up. Sweden changed warfare by creating a constricted standing army.

Denmark and Russia have tried to disturb Sweden in the past. Sweden even lost of Russia when Peter the Great was ruling.

I’m not gonna delve into this because it can get political, but they definitely do have social problems.

The thing about Sweden, though, is that they constantly seem to be a step ahead in the world and then everyone seems to follow it.

All countries have problems. I just feel education should be improved in the way Sweden is doing it. I approve of America’s system of government, but it’s education could improve.

3 Likes

Welp, time to move to Sweden!

1 Like

Modern times, MODERN TIMES! It never was part of WW1 or WW2 and it never was greatly effected by the destructions of rest of Europe. Geese, old history doesnt matter after the industrial revolution, which is what really changed the modern times.

I cant believe people disregard the fact that Sweden had it easy during both world wars, which made it easier for it to build the country after all that. So no, Sweden should not complain, it had way easier in history.

2 Likes

I’d highly beg to differ. You’re talking to a guy who’s planning his future career as a historian.

That still makes Sweden pretty amazing though. Isn’t it better to avoid getting into wars all together? Just shows how well they’re doing as a country.

But even America had a easier time to build itself back up after WWII. Remember the Roar’n Twenties with the economic success for America? Or how America stimulated economy under Johnson and even Eisenhower during the Cold War? We had even less time than Sweden and we made it.

Besides education. The education still needs improvement. Let’s get back on topic, shall we?

2 Likes