Star Wars: The Clone Wars Vignettes

Imgur

Last year my friend Dan (501st Lego Trooper) and I decided to embark on a rather ambitious project: recreate 1 scene from every episode of the first season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series.

Fast forward to the Brickfête 2016 convention this past July: Dan and I succesfully built and transported 26 vignettes (22 TV episodes plus 4 quasi-episodes from the feature-length TCW movie).

Read on to get a closer look at some of the vigs that I built for this collab:
(you can follow the images to my Flickr photostream for more info on each scene)

#“Fall back to the heavy cannons!” (TCW Movie)

Imgur

#“Here they come!” (TCW movie)
Imgur

#“Should we arrest the Hutt, Senator?” (TCW movie)

Imgur

#“He’s just another Tinnie boys, let’s scrap him like the rest!” (S1.E07)
Imgur

#“Sometimes being a good soldier means doing what you think is right.” (S1.E09)

Imgur

#“Well… this looks like the bomb room” (S1.E17)
Imgur

#“Welcome to Iego!” (S1.E18)
Imgur

#“Get that bridge back up!” (S1.E21)

Imgur

That’s all for now (I’ll be posting more TCW vigs in the future, they were a ton of fun). Vigs like this can be challenging to get right but are immensely rewarding to a long time The Clone Wars fan and Star Wars builder like me. Overall, I learned a lot during this project about scene composition, colour-matching, dynamic posing, replica-building, photography and photo editing. As always, all questions, comments and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated!

50 Likes

These are pretty cool man.
I used to make star wars vignettes a while ago
Also read this [quote=“legomaster1378, post:1, topic:29255”]
Welcome to Iego!
[/quote]

As [quote=“legomaster1378, post:1, topic:29255”]
Welcome to lego!
[/quote]

3 Likes

Dang. These look good. it puts my scene thing to shame

1 Like

You sure aren’t the only one man. :slight_smile:

Nice! Got any pics you can post?

Thanks! Can I see yours?

2 Likes

Nah, I didn’t take pictures of my creations back then.
And I took them apart years ago

Sure. it was made pretty quickly, so I didn’t care too much about it.

There amazing

1 Like

Memories…

1 Like

These are probably some of the best things I’ve seen in a long time.
The only thing that could make this better would be one from “Rookies”.

1 Like

Thanks!

Indeed :smiley:

Thanks man! Dan was the one who built the Rookies vig (along with most of the other scenes in this colab since he has a lot more System then I do). I really regret not taking an-depth video of the fully-assembled MOC back at Brickfête. Ah well…

But fret not! Hevy’s sacrifice is one of the scenes that I plan on rebuilding for myself. You’ll probably be able to see it… sometime within the next couple months. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

These are great. I especially like how you made Christophsis (sp?) recognizable with just one wall. Though I need to rewatch some of the first season episodes so I can remember the context for some of these. XD

1 Like

Omg I didn’t know how much I needed this.

Might I ask how you “needed” this? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! Christophsis is easily one of my favourite planets in the SW universe (so pretty!) and I really wanted to make it part of this project. I’m really glad that I got over a hundred trans-light-blue 1x2 tiles at the LEGO store a couple years back; they sure did come in useful.

Some of S1 is a bit iffy IMO. Though I’d say that most of the eps featured here are worth a rewatch.

2 Likes

That’s why I haven’t rewatched much of it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I’ll be sure to go through the ones you featured, at least.

1 Like

Good luck. Honestly, the best parts of the episodes were often the scenes I’ve built.

Duel of the Droids was alright but I found the Ahsoka v. Grievous fight to be the most interesting part (especially when you consider the fact that Grievous was toying with her the entire time).

Cloak Of Deception was a cool episode because we got to see Ventress being all infiltrator-assassin-y and we finally got characterization for Luminara Unduli.

Blue Shadow Virus had a really interesting premise, some good fight scenes and a suitably cheesy villain. Though honestly my bomb room maquette was mainly just an excuse to use LEGO’s Clone Bomb Squad figures.

Mystery of a Thousand Moons brought in some more interesting ideas and did a good job of showcasing Anakin’s problem with attachment. I especially liked seeing all those rebuilt ramshackle droids, which were a ton of fun to re-create in LEGO.

Liberty on Ryloth is a really solid battle episode. There are some great tank battles and Mace Windu is absolute boss. The ARF Troopers vs. Commando Droids melee was really neat as well.

3 Likes

These are pretty amazing, I wish I had more mini figures from the clone wars

1 Like

Thanks! I find many TCW minifigs to be fairly ugly (those faces :P). They come in super useful for a project like this though.

I need more of these

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoy them! I plan on making more in the future. Do you have any suggestions for episodes/scenes that you think would translate well into vignettes this size?

I dont remember so much about the series, It’s been quite long since I last saw it, so I cant help you there, sorry

1 Like