State of the Contests Update

Happy to hear that everything is back on track.

Thank you! I applaud this post. It is well written, and I think it’s good to give yourself the leeway to shut down disrespect - I just hope that the line is clear on what disrespect actually is as opposed to criticism of the contests. I hope that they can continue with some newfound energy and more staff. Thanks for putting up with everyone during all of this, too, I know it can’t be easy.

EDIT: I would also like to know this. I want to have “entering the contests” on the table, but I’d also like to help out.

12 Likes

Sounds like things are back on track mostly, but I am a bit concerned about the mentioned harassment? I have noticed some snarkiness, occasionally even some clear toxicity, but what I’ve seen seems to end there, even off site. I see a lot of reasonable worries about the contests (mostly about what is happening with them) being taken as more than that. If there’s more we haven’t seen, like direct harassment instead of snarky memeing, that certainly justifies bans. I just don’t want to see important community members barred from participating when they don’t need to be. A lot of people have mentioned that a heads up that there would be a delay on the polls might’ve really helped to prevent this, though any harassment or even snarkiness in no way your fault Eljay. I expect some people are crying 1894 or whatever, but hopefully we can all move forward and enjoy the contests as they’re able to be held. Take care of yourself guys, I know how important mental health is and the internet can indeed be difficult for that.

Side note: why is Double banned from future entries/participation? Some clarification on that part might be nice

15 Likes

sad to see double go… but then again, it’s one less person to worry about in the lariska contest :middle_finger:

Anyways

I think going forward better transparency and communication between TTV and the community would greatly improve the process. (this topic does seem to be a step in the right direction)

6 Likes

I don’t believe further clarification would be productive.

8 Likes

Right now, we do allow members of TTV to participate in the contests, which is only possible due to everything being out in the open and plainly visible. That being said, if an assistant were to enter a contest, they would not be allowed to check their own work. It’d be a conflict of interest. And if something does get missed, we’ll certainly hear about it and handle it directly, per current rules.

Also, no cutoff. As of this time, until we decide we have enough help, it’s open with no close date in sight.

I’ve been personally harassed off the Message Boards for the last few weeks at least. That situation has since been resolved.

We’ll discuss this further during our Nak & Jay podcast, after the Hagah contest concludes.

18 Likes

So, would the “fact-checking” be just going through entries to compare them against the contest rules, or, for example, combing through Greg responses to make sure that they are canon accurate?

8 Likes

It can be both. We need assistance in both of those areas, but mainly the former.

12 Likes

I would hope that this is done before a contest (by everyone), in order for the quotes to be in the rules.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear there’s been that much harassment. I’m glad it’s been resolved! Clarifying about Double later seems like a good idea, also, I know there has been enough controversy already.

5 Likes

I second this, I’ve made an open apology in the rules topic which I recommended that people read. I’m on moblie rn so its a pain to link it but just @ me and I’ll get up from my bed log into my computer and fetch y’all a link.

As for the update itself first and foremost I want to thank Eljay and Meso for finally reaching out and explaining some more behind the scene stuff.

It helps not only me but others to understand things better and to handle future situations with more diligance, care and most importantly respect.

I hope you’ll consider more of the feedback down the line but for now this is a good start. While I’m not going to actively reach out about helping you, because of tensions. I really hope you guys find a good crew to help you out!

11 Likes

I’m glad to see the contest continue and glad to see that you guys are looking for some help! It’s hard to admit when you need help, and it’s very admirable of you guys to admit it. I’m hoping these steps will be enough to smooth out these contests even better than before, and I can’t wait to see them continue!

1 Like

Literally 1894.

4 Likes

I’m glad you’re back. Eljay
Although I admit that there was an incident during the past day…
community was exhausted.
It wasn’t a good direction

In the end, we have to admit it. We were nervous.

At least I don’t want any more discord because I want the contest to continue.

2 Likes

It’s good to get this all out on the table, and I’d love to help out, but I too am job hunting, and quite frankly, I have no idea how much free time I’ll have going forward, though I have thus far skimmed through almost every cannon contest entry submitted

1 Like

Really glad to read this announcement, I really believe this can be a new beginning with regards how the contests progress.

5 Likes

The slight vagueness around “no tolerating disrespect” has me a little concerned, but it might just sound vague on my end since I haven’t been watching the conversation around the contests too closely (especially with the hagah contests.)

I’d be willing to offer to help with moderating the contests if I didn’t already have some stuff on my plate now and in the near future. I wish you luck in finding new people to work with, and I hope that these contests can run more smoothly in the future.

7 Likes

I mean, if they specifically say what they won’t tolerate, then there’ll always be people that find the loopholes to annoy the hecc out of em
better to just not provide any so no one tries anything

5 Likes

Good idea: Asking for help.
I can’t say I’ve been around when brickonicle contests were around and whatnot, but I know of the circumstances and truth be told, the situation at hand is vastly different from what TTV channel ran before. Especially as there seems to be only you and Meso this time, taking on responsibility before the entire bionicle community with these might be way more than the two of you can chew. I am hoping that more people involved in structuring our the contests will turn them around for the better. I’d even suggest my own candidate for help, though I’m a bit on the fence about it.

Bad idea: …The rest of this post.
It is my past experience that public callouts like this one only makes people that make these callouts into subjects of further trolling. Contests are far from perfect right now, especially with unreasonably strict rules that were chiseled for the Hagah contests, but I can’t help but feel there’s less cutthroat ways to lessen the conflict between the two sides. Granted, I’m not excluding the definite existance of certain circles which can’t be appealed to/reasoned with, but I don’t think it’s worth it to confront them like this. The ever-first rule of the Web is to not feed the trolls, and this has just provided a feast and a half.

Going further, I’m holding out for a last vestige of hope that these contests will turn into something a bit more friendly for an average community member. The “Canon is everything” approach had costed this community a few favorable models and drawings along the way, I really hope that further contests will not take select a few lines of canon description in favor of solid designs and masterful presentations.

6 Likes

Thank you for giving us an update, and I’m so sorry for all the crap that comes with this contest, if anything at all I’m very hopeful this will be a new beginning for the contests and everything will be a lot smoother than it ever would’ve been from here

Very glad you guys are clamping down on the bad and keeping the good, I myself will be looking into helping out with future polls if IRL responsibilities allow for it

3 Likes